Houzz Logo Print
billiejay

Exterior architecture

BJ Porter du Preez
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Hi all

I'd love for advice on what to do with the front of our house. We are in an inner city neighbourhood surrounded by old Queenslanders.

We're open to landscaping the front garden with terraces or one large retaining wall. (The slope is very steep).

We'd like to modernise the look and create more living space outside.

Thanks!

BJP

Комментарии: 13

• oklouise

what a great looking house and garden... to increase the outdoor living area build up a retaining wall from the bottom of the steps (or as far forward and wide as possible) and high enough to include a fence for a new terrace or deck at the front and wrapped around the side of the house with a flat pergola (using the same round columns?) across the front to echo the line of the gutter and porch, extend the existing gabled porch to the front of the new retaining wall with entry from the driveway side and add more shrubs to fill up the garden across the front

• LesleyH
    This house has great bones - I don't think it needs modernising as it is timeless. Were you looking at a colour change?
  • BJ Porter du Preez
    Автор
    Thank you oklouise and LesleyH.

okLouise - you've echoed suggestions of friends who've advised similarly.

LesleyH - would like to change the colour of the roof to something lighter. We are in Queensland and the dark roof makes the house bloomin' hot!!!!
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting

The house is hot from lack of insulation, lack of ventilation, shading, etc. rather than the dark colour of the roof.

Yes, dark colours get hotter but it's not so much that it'll add 10° degree's (for example) to internal room's. A tile roof will stay hotter (and colder) longer than a metal roof due to a tile roof's thermal mass.

Houses with a white roof get just as hot.

Nevertheless, all your place need's is a coat of paint. I'd choose something that the other dwelling's are using in your area, but not cream.....It's been done to death a few years ago......

• User

Hi BJ- Lesley and MB Design have good points- your house is a timeless classic, all it needs is a paint to update it (and even that looks like it could wait). If it is that hot- I'd suggest putting your cash into fixing that. The roof looks in great condition and painting it a lighter colour has been proven to be ineffective- perhaps get a roof cavity vacuum/suck out and re-insulate? Whirly birds to get the heat out? New thicker glass in the windows? Heat blocking window treatments/blinds internally?Your options are limitless, depends on your budget.

• oklouise

depending on which way the windows face anything that keeps sun off the windows will help cool inside..downstairs outdoor living areas with shade cloth for roof and walls and upstairs external blinds and, before you paint the roof, get a quote for installing Colorbond Steel with updated insulation..great invetsment whatever the climate

• BJ Porter du Preez
    Автор
    Hello lovely people

Thank you so much for your knowledge! I am learning lots from each of you!

The roof is insulated (with a loose, crumbly material of some description) and we have whirly-birds. It's not enough.

We face north-east so the long, front of the house you see in the picture is whacked with the morning sun. I can actually feel the warmth radiating from the small front roof through the gyprock walls of the adjacent top rooms!

While the lower level of the house is bearable in summer, the upper level is terrible.

Shade (additional) is definitely something to consider.

BJP
  • BJ Porter du Preez
    Автор
    PS all and any additional thoughts welcome! X
  • PRO
    DIMA | Design In Mind Architects

It is a great house BJP.

If you were looking to modernise the first two things I would suggest are updating the landscaping and the portico over the front entry. The portico is currently a very low pitched gable. Though it is a common feature in this style of house, they are often steeper pitched and have more height. I would look to make it look a little 'meatier' by bulking up the posts/roof and creating a much stronger entry. Add a splash of paint on top and it'll make quite a difference.

Good Luck whichever path you take,

Matt.

• User

Insulation is measured by R-value. It may be that the loose fill you have isn't thick enough? I'd be aiming for an R-5, which would mean approx. 5 inches of loose fill depending on what sort you have (covering beams). You can top it up, or lay batts/roof blanket over the top.

This type of build is notoriously hot upstairs in Summer. It may be that your walls are not insulated at all either :-(

In terms of changing the 'look'....painting it a cool colour can be calming and cooling, if only from a psychological perspective!!. Look at light greys and blues. With the roof colour and window frames- you can almost do any colour you like!

• User

Whole House Renovations/Extensions · Еще

Lovely Renovations · Еще

Traditional Exterior · Еще

• BJ Porter du Preez
    Автор
    Thanks again Oklouise, Lesley and DIMA too. I'd been thinking of grey in terms of paint but that was the limit of my (un)imagination.

I'll definitely explore the blinds and DIMA's idea of altering the porch.

Lots of big decisions and I'm trying (unsuccessfully!) to avoid analysis paralysis!!!