Houzz Logo Print
patrick_perry62

Need help wall decorating!

Patrick Perry
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I'm got all my furniture for my studio coming in and I need to start putting some stuff on my walls, but I don't even know where to start! I've never put stuff on my walls before and I'm sick of looking at an empty room with no color!
First off the wall color is a weird tan color and there's white frames surrounding most the living room so I have to work with those. Majority of the furniture is either black or dark brown. I'm posting quite a few walls so don't expect you to go through all of them, If you find an idea for one I will label them so I can identify which one you are talking about. Thanks!

No. 1

This is part of the living room, but you see this wall while lying on the bed. It's about 4' W from frame to frame. And it's 6' H from frame to frame.

No. 2

This wall is part of the dining room. About 3' 6" W from frame to wall.

No. 3

The color is the same throughout the house, it's just the lighting. This wall's a problem because when I open the fridge...

It blocks majority of the wall. It's about 3' 4" W from wall to closed fridge. I don't intend to put anything about the fridge, but am open to it.

No. 4

Since it's pretty tight, putting anything on the walls would probably be a bad choice, but I could put something above the door. There will be a runner carpet to give you an idea.

No. 5

This is the wall you see as you exit the bathroom and is also part of the closet. about 4' 6" W from the ledge to the light switch. And 8 ft. H.

No. 6

This my closet you walk through to get to the bathroom. It's the only thing I have on any of my walls at the moment. I want it, but it might be better over the front door. If so, what should I put here instead and if not, how to improve it. (Take note, I will be adding a curtain to cover the clothes.) It's about 3' 10" H from ledge and 5' 2" W.

No. 7

Part of Kitchen/Dining Room but am making to Music Station from Radiator to wall on right, and have dining room start where radiator is at. (Which I hope to cover one of these days) The wall is about 8 ' and the keyboard area is 4' so 4' for each area is the limit. (The photo makes it look bigger on one side)

No. 8

This is the dining area. No. 7 and No. 2 surround this wall so keep that in mind. (A dining table is coming in to be placed where the Window is at.

I told you there was a lot. To those who read this whole article, I give much appreciation. Thank you.

Комментарии: 47

• PRO
    Hope Dorman

For wall number 1 I would definitely recommend some piece of art that is bright blue. It will both stand out but not clash with your furniture. I won't make a recommendation as I don't know you style, but blue is a safe bet for a large piece in those tones.

For wall 3 I would recommend three smaller pieces that go together in the space just not blocked by the fridge door. That way you don't need anything big but it covers a large area, and draws the eye up. Here for color I would advise something a little brighter that may be harsh in another area if it were bigger.

Number 7 I would recommend a black and white print, photo, or painting, and something bold as it is going in a musical space.

That's just what calls to me in general and may narrow down your art search!

Patrick Perry поблагодарил(а): Hope Dorman
  • shirlpp

It's hard to say what to put on walls when there isn't furniture in the space. There are a lot of walls, but not all of them need to be covered. The furniture and it's placement will help determine artwork.

For starters, what about a mural of New York City, or San Francisco or some other city on those 2 walls? In the dining area, add some curtains on that window, then decide what walls still need to be addressed.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

I do plan putting curtains on the window thank you. I agree about the curtains and I will put some there. But should that wall still be empty? Maybe like a small lamp or something?

• shirlpp

Are you referring to the window wall, when you ask if that wall should be empty?

• Steph
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Wait until all your furniture is in place and you are all settled in. Deciding on art before that point, is a bit premature. When you get your furniture post pics that are of the whole room not just bits of wall. Taking a picture of a part of a blank wall with a question mark, lends little help to others.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Gotcha. That actually makes a lot of sense. I will do that. Thanks StephE

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

You too shirlpp, you are right.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

The wall right of the window yes. If the window centered the wall, this wouldn't be a problem, but it bothers me that the window isn't centered, therefore it makes everything looks work.

• PRO
    Liz Duer Studio

So I think it's important to pick a color scheme..orange and gray, green and yellow? I like this frame on your wall. I would buy a poster and put it in the frame. here is a suggestion.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/499496550/geometric-wave-splash-print-orange-and?ref=shop_home_active_1

• shirlpp

I can't wait to see the furniture. That is a good idea posted by Liz Duer Studio.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    I agree with Steph. Once you get your furniture in place send some more pictures please.
  • Patrick Perry
    Автор

That is a fantastic idea Liz Duer Studio! I will definitely do that. Which poster though is gonna be a challenge, but it will certainly be a piece of art. My only concern would be most posters have that gloss which I'd rather not like. I like the idea that it looks like it's painted. Is there a type of paper I could have that custom printed on that would be that big and not have the gloss finish?

• PRO
    Liz Duer Studio

U could get the poster printed on matte paper but a lot of people who paint with oil add an acrylic gloss over the painting which causes paintings to have a shine anyway so a little gloss is not unpainterly. If u are interested in this piece sometimes I send small sample ones out and u can see if u like it in gloss or matte. Just email me if u want a sample.

• jdgail

Picture Ledge Floating Wall Shelf in Black Finish (72 in. W x 5 in. D (3.56 lbs. · Еще

Looks like you might have enough room in entry to put a ledge/shelf on wall just past where door opens and hung at waist height with a mirror and art above. Will give you a place to put your keys etc and not take up any foot space or create cleaning problems. Many lengths, widths and colors available.....

If you or your friends are artistic and in to it, consider a black board painted wall in kitchen behind fridge door - pic 3.

Looks forward to seeing your pictures once you get your furniture.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Okay everybody! So I got the majority of the furniture done. All that needs done is the kitchen. So I decided to post this to get started. This is a studio so keep that in mind.

This room will be by far the biggest challenge...

LIVING ROOM/BEDROOM

1. Coming from Kitchen

2. Coming From Entrance

3. From Center of Couch

4. From Far Left of Couch

5. The "Bedroom"

6. From Center of Couch

I love my new rug and love the new Entertainment Center. I couldn't be happier. Blocks the bed, but still open to see the wall behind it. Coming from the entrance though it doesn't look as good (shown in 2.) . I don't know what I could do about that though. I think I'm putting a tall green plant in the corner of the right side of the couch instead of the crappy drawer. I think it would be a nice touch, so any suggestion of a particular plant or a different idea if your up to it. Couch pillows would be nice too, but not sure what I'd get. Something with a little red in it for sure to match the rug. But, back to why I'm here.

This wall on the right side is god awful for a studio.

(shown in No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5)

Frames and Scones. It makes it difficult to separate the living room from the bedroom. But with the budget I have, I can't find a better place, so here I am trying to deal with the hand I'm given. I have no clue what to do here. Since a plant will be in the corner, the main concern is the big frame and the small frame and scone. I personally would like to cover the Scones in some way. PLEASE HELP ME.

I plan on getting a better comforter since it's a little small and maybe some back pillows. If you have any color suggestions, let me know. And from there, we can find what to do with the wall.

No. 6 is solved thanks to Liz Duer Studio. Brilliant idea and will be used. Just thought you'd like to see it from a different angle. I'd rather not do that with the bigger frame and try something different.

I'll start with this room for now and will post the other rooms once they're complete. Thank you all for taking the time to help.

• DH
    why cant you remove the sconces?

a tip, you can add removable wallpaper to the vertical wainscoting as art
  • shirlpp

Hello...That really is a nice entertainment piece and it fits so well.

You are saying you don't like the look from the front door looking into the living space. Is there enough space on the wall where you're going to put Liz Duer's suggestion to add a chair, or bench or console. This might help, and it does not have to be expensive.

Do the sconces provide sufficient light, if so, change them to something more your style. If not, I think you can buy something in a HD or Lowes to cover up the electric once you remove the sconce.

I would not get rid of the end table, is there room on that side to put a floor lamp. If so, you should be able to find an inexpensive one.

There might be something of interest on this link:

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=floor%20lamps

Patrick Perry поблагодарил(а): shirlpp
  • Patrick Perry
    Автор

I would remove the Scones, but they installed them terribly. The wall behind them is all torn up and the Scones look like they're holding on by a thread. I'm nervous I won't be able to put them back on. The lighting is fine with the Scones. I just want the living room and the bedroom seem separate. I can somewhat get away with the frames.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

And to answer your question shirlpp, there is no room to put anything in front of that wall.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

I finished the Dining Room. Hurray!

Small, but sweet. I'll put a small centerpiece for the table. Also curtains will be happening but have no clue what I'd get. I've given up on radiator covers since the price for them are crazy expensive. And still no clue if I should put something on the wall behind the chair in the third picture or something to the right of the window. With curtains, I might not need anything, but I'm unsure.

• Irene Morresey
    Hallway, will look good
  • Irene Morresey
    Behind dining chair perhaps, good talking point lol
  • groveraxle

Patrick, it's a cute place and your media cabinet/bedroom wall is brilliant.

Now don't go junking up all the walls with a bunch of little crap. A few well curated pieces will go a long way toward making it feel like home. Also be careful of using red; a little goes a very long way, especially in a space that tends toward the small and dark.

I'll return with some concrete suggestions in a bit.

• shirlpp

What are you thinking of for the curtains(colors)?. You might be able to find something at Sears. For the dining area, I think you'd need something on the wall that your radiator and music are on, more so than on the other walls.

Patrick Perry поблагодарил(а): shirlpp
  • Patrick Perry
    Автор

I'm not sure what colors forb the curtains yet. It has to go with red rug since that's the only color I really have other than the wall color.

• groveraxle

A peace lily or a dracaena marginata would both be good low light plants. I'd add a lamp on the end table, maybe play up the molding on the wall with a bunch of empty thrift store frames spray painted all the same color.

Patrick Perry поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • groveraxle

Exactly what color is the wall?

Never mind. I see it's tan. Sort of a pinky tan, I gather?

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Yeah the color is like a grey tan. Ok. You sold me with the end table and the lamp. It's a nice touch. With end table on that side, I'll probably put the plant on the right side of the couch. I personally don't like the silver frames on the main wall. The curtains look really nice. Could you give me info on curtains? Also the frames above the keyboard are nice. I don't like cats, but colors and the sizes look great. What size frames would those be?

• groveraxle

Curtains: try World Market, Pier 1, JCPenney. Look for linen or jute, something with lots of texture in a neutral color.

My goal with the art was something graphic with just a touch of color. I don't know what size the frames are; I simply made them a size that looked good. I'd guess they are about 1/3 the height of the wall, so 24 x 30" plus or minus.

Patrick Perry поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • groveraxle

One reason I located the plant where I did was to break up the asymmetry of the wall moldings. That is a difficult wall made more difficult by the (unavoidable) placement of furniture.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Yep. I tried so many ways with the furniture and this is by far the best of all the ways I tried. And that wall is a pain. Thanks for the info!

• groveraxle

Maybe frames with something in them on the sconce wall:

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

I like the frames in this one much better! Their positions are what I've been looking for. And I like the pictures have white backgrounds with a splash of color. The plant looks much better now that I see something on the walls. I really like this a lot!

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

I guess the kitchen and "bedroom" is left. Here are the pics again.

• shirlpp

You could try:

2 sconces on the side with artwork centered.

Patterson Loft · Еще

Another:

Chelsea Pied-a-Terre · Еще

What about adding 2 shelves, with a floor lamp. I know this is not a bedroom, but showing just for the inspiration.

Aqua One Bedroom Apartment · Еще

Good idea for a side table and lamp

Bedside · Еще

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Well, the bed can't be between the scones. That would put the bed in the middle of the room with no space for anything else. So the bed has to stay as is. Including it being against the wall and the entertainment center. So there is no space for a floor lamp.

I would love to have an art piece centered about the bed, but due to the scone and the frame, I can't really do that. I really appreciate the input though.

• shirlpp

Patrick, you'd add two new candle sconces above your bed in it's current location and put the artwork in between. You can't put anything on the wall that the bed is on? In none of the pictures am I suggesting you change the current location of your bed.

I am thinking that you sleep on the other wall - meaning the wall that does not have the sconce on it.

• Patrick Perry
    Автор

Oh I see. So you are talking about the wall of the left. Not where the scone is. Gotcha.

• groveraxle

You might consider Ikea's panel curtains at the end of your bed (assuming the panel curtain rod could be attached to the ceiling):

FÖNSTERVIVA Panel curtain - IKEA · Еще

• everdebz

Window curtains are only for DR? Some oomph of roman shades with this for 19 a yard? well, I like it... :)

the checks are large enough not to look dainty.

Buffalo Check Claret Pkaufmann Red And Off White Cream Check Fabric · Еще
    Buffalo Check Linen Kaufman Cotton Fabric · Еще

• everdebz

$80 for these 4 pieces - could use the dotted in other windows, etc... black, or red, or tan....

2 Piece Mix and Match Wide Dotted Tulle Lace Blackout Curtain Set, Black · Еще
    2 Piece Mix and Match Wide Dotted Tulle Lace Blackout Curtain Set, Cardinal Red · Еще

• everdebz

Too gold? keep you warm near the window?

Prairie Blackout Weave Embossed Grommet Curtain, Gold, 104"x96", Set of 2 · Еще

• shirlpp

What about a mural for your kitchen wall, since you really cannot hang artwork due to the fridge door.

• jdgail

Shop Houzz.........Removable wall decal - brick wall etc or paint with blackboard paint. you can add a long rustic shelf or two along entire wall above fridge door height to provide extra storage, art display and interest.

• jdgail

Modern Meets Country Kitchen · Еще

Harriet Goodall · Еще

Kitchens · Еще

Rustic Tiered Wine Bottle/Wine Glass Rack, Set of 2 · Еще

• fissfiss
    Once upon a time, when I was much younger, I lived in a very small bedroom with an old fashioned radiator. We put a chunky piece of wood on top, and it became a great little shelf.