Houzz Logo Print
feliciainc

Kitchen and Entry Tile

Felicia Czumble
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

HELP! I know its hideous. All of it. The walls are being painted stonington Grey. The wood floors will eventually be darker but for now they have to stay this color. I need help picking something for the entry that will go all the way into the kitchen and laundry room. I love the look of those tiles that look like weathered wood but im not sure I can do that here. was thinking something larger and more white with flecks of grey and tan but I just don't know. Any ideas?

Комментарии: 9

• shirlpp

Why aren't you considering continuing the hardwood in the spaces. It looks choppy.

• grapefruit1_ar

I am confused. Do you want to replace the tile with a different tile? Have you considered adding hardwood to match your existing floors? They are beautiful....and classic. Have you lived with dark floors? They are the worst.

I would use tile in the laundry room only.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

I would do a nice black slate or quartzite tile. looks great against real wood and will also look good in your kitchen. comes in all different sizes, polished, honed, rectified, etc.

this last one is actually basalt.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I would just do more wood flooring to match what you have and the only space I would have tile is the laundry. No the wood look tile will not work in this space as faux wood next to real wood never works I would not do a busy tile pattern if you decide to do tile keep it simple with 12 x 24 tile in a plain color and pattern

• acm

Definitely no wood-look against real wood. I'd pick a nice 12-24 gray tile from among the million out there -- it will look good with your kitchen finishes and nice against the wood of the LR (check samples against both to be sure). Some are quite solid and others have a bit of a weathered look, so you should have plenty of degrees of flecking to choose from.

• leemiller
    If you continue the wood it will not date as quickly as a tile will. We continued new wood floors to our kitchen and then stained to match existing floors, which were being refinished. I don't think faux wood looks good with real wood next to it. If you really want tile, the slate looks nice to me.
  • imhofan

Eliminate the tile look in your entry and kitchen and replace with wood matched to what you have or refinish all in darker brown tone. Tile laundry only--tons of options.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

for the people saying get wood where the tile is, that's going to take some work to match everything up to what is currently there. and she said she won't be refinishing the floors for awhile which means whatever goes down there now won't match. you can't match that patina of the old wood (well I suppose a floor artist could but i'm guessing he wouldn't be a cheap date). so does she live w/mismatched wood for how ever long until the other floors are done? she might as well just leave in the tile.

it is odd the way the entryway done with that batch of tile curving around to the kitchen. I would do all wood and put down a nice rug. But hey, if she wants tile, then pick something that looks good w/the wood and the kitchen. a warmer gray or black would be fine. or maybe a natural travertine. and no, do not use a wood-look tile next to real wood.