Houzz Logo Print
oschaefer22

Open Shelving vs Cabinets

Olivia Schaefer
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Open Shelving is a moderately new trend that has been getting a ton of buzz. But, is traditional the way to go? Will Open Shelving ever replace the classic Cabinet?
Open Shelving
Cabinet

Комментарии: 9

• PRO
    Raywal Cabinets

Why not both? Our clever homeowner liked the look of the open shelving, but wanted some cabinetry to hide other kitchen items away. A great balance to style and function!

Transitional Grey Kitchen with Open Shelving · Еще

More photos at: https://www.houzz.com/projects/2232222/transitional-family-kitchen

• User

Not into the trend. At all. Either the shelves are like the ones you show- little more than art niches- or the cups/saucers/plates etc that come off them are dirty. Or you spend a tome of time cleaning all that material that you don't really use on a daily basis, just for show.

No thank you.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration

They can look really nice if kept organized, but it's easy for them to start looking cluttered. I think they're nice in limited amounts, and only in the right setting.

• tooky58

The open shelf trend will never make it to my kitchen, I already have more than enough cleaning to do. Glass fronted cabinets yes, I'm looking at my dishes hutch right now. Glass all the way around and I have lots of dishes to look at. I love dishes, and they're a useful collection.

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.

Although the cabinet gives the kitchen a more modern look, we think the cabinet is ideal for storage.

• Belahn

I truly wonder if people who have open shelving ever fry anything on a stove or have pets? What climate do they live in? I am being very serious and would love to know the truth. While I do think it sometimes looks nice, my dishes would be full of grease, animal hair and desert dust. I live in a very dusty place, cook every day and have pets. Won't work. I agree with tooky for glass fronted cabinets if you want to see beautiful brightly colored dishes. So much easier to just wipe down a cabinet front.

• olsenla
    I agree with Belahn! My cats would constantly be on the open shelves, leaving cat hair behind and knocking things off. :-)
  • Julie Hunt
    Looks great but not very practical. I think it would be hard to keep dishes from getting dusty, greasy.