Houzz Logo Print
lgriffin001

Laundry counter help!

lgriffin001
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
I want to put a counter over the washer and dryer but the hose on the wall is in the way and kind of an eye sore. I don't want to do anything major. Should I cut a hole in the counter or make a ledge to cover it up??? Ideas???

Комментарии: 25

• kimdee24
    I had a countertop made with a hole cut out for the hoses. I hid the hole with a basket that holds random orphaned socks. I'll see if I have a picture...
  • Geneviève
    I would simply raise the washer and drier up and then add a counter top in order to cover the tubes and plug , these are the risers ,I'm not sure what they are called but look at the picture .you can purchase those bottom parts separately for them
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=washer+and+drier+shelves&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=76BD983AE17AEEF34A774B9C10449EE98D452CA3&selectedIndex=127

Here it is its called a stacking kit

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=washer+and+drier+stackers&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=A62CA070604D6EA553C59A761467716B00288D3D&selectedIndex=103
  • kimdee24
    Here's a photo.
  • Judy M
    We had a hole cut in our granite top, also. I don't even try to hide it. LOL
    I also had the backsplash tiled and added under cabinet lighting that comes on automatically when I enter the room.
  • lionnessone
    You need place the bottom storage unit under you washer and dryer this way it will add the height you need to install your counter, this will hide your hoses, and electric plugs.

[houzz=
    Laundry Room · Еще
    ]
  • kimdee24
    Trouble with the pedestals is that you lose a surface for folding.
  • lionnessone
    [houzz=
    Traditional Laundry Room · Еще
    ][houzz=
    Meadow Breeze · Еще
    ]
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    make a table that spans over the two units. countertop of your choice (should be seamless)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    your idea of a top with a boxing ledge over the back will be neat and give you a ledge to put bits and bobs on !
  • PRO
    Entropy Limited
    The ledge is a good idea, but make sure you provide a hinged top or access panel. When you need to reach the washing machine hose valve - you need to reach it fast.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    We just finished a combination of the two ideas presented above. We cut a hole in the top and then created a loose box shelf to cover the valves and hole in the top. With 1/4 turn valves on the laundry service box, it takes about a second to flip our shelf out of the way and turn off the water.
  • lgriffin001
    Автор
    Do you have a pic?
  • Judy M
    If you add pedestals under W/D the counter will be too high.
  • lgriffin001
    Автор
    I agree with the pedestals making the w/d to high, I like them but it isn't the look I am going for. I think I like the counter with the ledge, but I would love to see a good pic.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    I'll snap a picture tomorrow and post it, OK?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    The top photo shows the ledge shelf tipped forward to allow access to to the washer inlet valves. The second photo is the ledge shelf in place.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    @Ironwood .... clever!!!!
  • kimdee24
    That's awesome! But... now I want one too.
  • mydodger
    Totally on board with, and would have taken the same approach as, Ironwood Builders. I love my ledge in my laundry room!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    All I can say is seven P's!
  • bsimms23
    Put the washer and dryer on pedestals that are for your models. Then build a shelf out of wood and cover the whole top and put a divider piece down the middle between so that you will never ever have a piece of clothes missing again. We did it and love it!
  • lgriffin001
    Автор
    Awesome, thanks for the picture with the ledge! I know that will work and its nice to see a pic...
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    igriffin, you may need to modify the ledge some. Your box is much higher. I think an extension of your wainscot cap and a removable front (beadboard to match the wainscot) may work better for your situation. Talk to your carpenter and show him/her this discussion and brainstorm with them about possible solutions. Best of luck!
  • mathomson5
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

HI! Spouse wants to be able to remove W/D for repair and replacement, with ease, and I want to remove easily for cleaning, AFTER installing a countertop. Love the solution above for hiding hoses, as it's not in the budget to break through the drywall and change the location of the turnoffs - and having experienced a broken supply water hose on July 4th, I question whether it is a good idea for new builds to place this important resource out of sight when seconds count. When seconds counted, I could not remember where to turn off the water for my whole house! Even if you have a great insurance company like ours, you will be paying two or three or more times more in annual policy charges what it costs to repair.

I have found a product on Amazon built specifically for appliances like washer/dryers that raises the appliance less than one inch, and has a locking brake on each of the two front wheels. Upsides are price, under $100, downsides are the delay due to shipping from China (I needed it yesterday). Comparable ones shipped via Amazon Prime raise the machines 4-5 inches, and I only have 12-14 inches between my laundry room cabinets and the washer/dryer.

Another downside of all of these products designed to make moving W/D easier is that they level front to back and not side to side. Leveling all four corners independently is not an option. The HXF 88A006 appears to be the only one that raises under one inch, and is adjustable to a full size washer/dryer, and holds the minimum weight needed -- 160 lb. washer, plus over 400 lbs. of water and clothes. Of course, you wouldn't move the washer when it was full of water, but the wheels of the movable platform must be able to withstand this weight without crushing. Crushed wheels do not roll well. Other models support more, but are not as aesthetically pleasing. Less expensive models are missing one of these factors, and platforms for moving shop machines extend outside of the boundaries of the W/D, making it difficult to place the W/D SXS but could work in a basement where there is plenty of room. I am going to order these, and ask Amazon if they can help me expedite shipment. And continue to seek a US distributor. I can use these all over my house -- it's ok if they don't last forever. One model connects to a dolly, and that could be even better for some.