Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

How much does light bother you in the morning?

Isidora Markovic
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I find there are usually two reactions to this question - "massively" or "not at all". If you're anything like me, you'll fall into the "massively" camp - blackout blinds or curtains are needed for a restful night's sleep!

Contemporary barn conversion · Еще

So - which side do you fall on? If it bothers you a lot, how did you solve the problem? If it doesn't bother you at all - I'm envious!

It bothers me a lot
It doesn't bother me
Other - elaborate below!

Комментарии: 22

• PRO
    London Urban | Design & Build
    my blackout curtains are my favourite!
  • PRO
    Applemoon Interiors
    As a professional curtain maker my advice if you're bothered by light would be to double up with blackout blinds and blackout curtains. Blinds or curtains alone will always allow some light bleed into the room.

Sleep well!
  • Howard Walmsley

Is I see daylight I have to get up which does not bother me as I like to go to bed early in the dark and be up and about in the daylight hours especially if the sun is shining.

• Isa
    I am an owl and with late nights come the need to sleep in (on my days off work). Oh, I wish England used those lovely thick shutters most French houses boast!
  • maxmum28

This question is of great interest to me as we are just building our loft extension with large glass window and a long narrow skylight. It is to become our bedroom and I am anticipating the light in the mornings being a real problem (unless you can train yourself to get used to it??). Can anyone recommend good bespoke blind makers who can make an unusual shaped blind for an awkward to reach space (so will need some kind of pulley system or pole with hook on for opening and closing). Thanks for your help.

• angelboyman

We have some great curtains that keep the morning light low, but they're useless against children who still persist on jumping on us when we try to get a weekend sleep in!

• egggbod
    We had shutters fitted. This really does solve the problem in a bedroom with dual aspect windows. One facing due east and the other south
  • Tim Price

I find it virtually impossible to get to sleep unless it is totally dark but find natural light the best way to wake up in the morning. I grew up in the country so no light pollution, so simply went to bed with the curtains open but nowadays I'm in a city so I have to have lined curtains to sleep. I'd like to fit a system to open the curtains on a timer. Not easy as the window is not straight, nor an even curve. I can't even fit pull cords.

• Joanna Biddolph

I don't have black out blinds in my current home; I have thick lined curtains - as much to reduce heat loss as to limit light. I had black out blinds in my loft bedroom in my previous home and they made a difference but they never fit edge to edge in a recess such as a conservation roof light or other roof window so there is always some light leeching in. I think there is an element of brain training in this - I rationalised that some light is inevitable but it's minor and found that the bright light coming in through the edges didn't count. I'm not saying it's mind over matter generally; I know it isn't as I'm really bothered by the light through thin curtains. I managed to convince myself that a little light around the edges is not enough to wake me up or annoy me on waking.

• soozmacrae

I change my curtains from winter to summer and vice versa. I also have a blind(not blackout). Ive been lazy this year and left my summer ones up all year(washed occasionally.

• anniec22
    It really suits me waking up to the sun gradually creeping into our bedroom. I like the room dark to go to sleep, but definitely happy with a sunny wake up!
  • Roxane Romero
    I despise blackout blinds and curtains. There is nothing worse than waking up in a pitch black room. Even in Helsinki in June I kept the curtains open so I could see the sun rise. I had no problem sleeping at all. You seen the sun start to come up, check the clock then see you have hours left to sleep. Nothing more calming in my opinion.
  • PRO
    Sparks Electrical Wholesalers Ltd

It can be bothersome to have a bright light at 5am in the morning in the summer in UK, and the light at 7.30am in the winter does get us up. Blinds and thick curtains are very useful, and once we're up, opening them and / or turning on the light will definitely wake us up! :)

• PRO
    AVINU - Home Technology

I'm conscious that sometimes when i have slept in rooms with black-out window dressings my body clock doesnt wake me up; so i assume i'm used to having natural light wake me - which on reflection i like.

....although after a great night out i'd like my body clock to sleep in as well!!

• Anne Wareham

It's a holiday problem! Never find light proof curtains when we're away. A blind plus curtains does it at home. I understand that sleeping in real darkness is good for us so I hope that message spreads...

• PRO
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters

In the Tropics sunrise is roughly the same time every day
    so you get used to being awakened gently by light at just the right time. In the UK your poor body has to keep
    adjusting to different levels of light - from the pitch black darkness of
    Winter to the brightest light of Summer. It would be lovely if 'morning light' was always in
    synch with sunrise!

• PRO
    Hillarys

Blinds or curtains with a blackout lining are the perfect solution we think! Or even better, layering of the two to reduce light flare at the edge of the window. A great night's sleep here we come...

Bedroom blinds and interiors · Еще

• Olena Tkach

In winter, I PRAISE it! In summer I put blackout curtains on my bedroom windows because they are facing east and my bed is placed under the window and I don't feel like getting up at 6 in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays.

• PRO
    Bloc Blinds
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Great question! We value a good night's sleep at Bloc Blinds and have developed the BlocOut Blind with that in mind. It provides an unmatched level of darkness in the home.

We get a lot of feedback from customers about how much better sleep they are getting as a result both to reduced light in their own room but also due to their children sleeping in longer thanks to the light levels in their rooms too.

It is a winner of multiple awards including the House Beautiful award for Best Eco Product and shortlisted this year for the Made for Mums awards under Best Nursery Product Category.

Find out how to Get a better night's sleep here.

• Shelly Anne

I'm one of those people who needs perfect darkness & silence to sleep. In my previous home I had a skylight in my bedroom (not my choice) and it was a total nightmare. It's not's so bad now as I have thick curtains but I have still got a habit of lying with my arm across my eyes to shield the light in the morning. I've also had to cover the tiny lights from the SKY box & a heater with black electrical tape because they seem so bright to me that they keep me awake. If only I could find a way of stopping my husband snoring.........

• User
    Why would someone be building a new bedroom with large windows and skylight when they already suspect it's going to be a problem?