Houzz Logo Print
pennzies

Trim color ideas

pennzies
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

We are wanting to change the white trim on the outside of our house and we're kind of thinking a gray. Any ideas on colors?

Комментарии: 21

• PRO
    Pound Ridge Painting Co.

I think that a gray would tie in nicely with the roof and provide a less harsh contrast between the brick and the trim.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

Match the grout as best you can and then find a color a little darker than the grout. Don't go lighter than the grout. Make sure it harmonizes with the roof. Doesn't have to "match" the roof, but it needs to blend nicely.

Gutters, downspouts, garage door should all be the same color as the trim color. And your front door should be black, like Tricorn Black from Sherwin-Williams. Or a super dark green like Essex or Black Forest Green from Ben Moore.

• pennzies
    Автор
    We are putting in the black door in a couple weeks. We were thinking of doing the color Griffin by sherwin Williams for the trim.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

We are putting in the black door in a couple weeks.

Fabulous! :)

If Griffin works nicely with the roof, then you're good to go.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

I just pulled a chip of Griffin - it's not what I thought it was. I wonder about the browness of Griffin with the color of the roof - it looks like a cool gray tone. I was thinking more gray, more putty-like. Also not sure about Griffin with a black door.

• pennzies
    Автор
    You have any other sherwin colors in mind?
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

Am I right about the roof - is it a cool gray maybe even on the verge of blue when the light hits it just so?

• pennzies
    Автор
    It's different shades of gray
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

Next question is why did you think Griffin was a good choice, what attracted you to that color for the trim?

• pennzies
    Автор
    I liked the color. Here are some more on my list that I like

Altitude
    Cityscape
    Gauntlet gray
    Folkstone
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

Griffin is a great color it just doesn't relate to any part of the house except maybe the darker bricks sprinkled across the facade. Same with the other colors:

Attitude is too green

Cityscape is too blue

Gauntlet Gray is too warm

Folkstone is too red

The problem the trim color needs to shore up is the disconnect between the red-orange-ish brick and the range of grays in the roof - the two don't work together very well. So, take a look at C2's Monday Morning CD-987 and SW9163 Tin Lizzie. See if one of them kind of shores up the harmony difference between the bricks and the shingles.

• pennzies
    Автор
    Griffin matched up pretty well to the darker brick. I will definitely check out those colors in daylight against the house and see how it looks. We were kind of wanting to do a darker gray
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

... and that is a good thought to go with the brick. Griffin would be a great choice if it weren't for the roof. I'm having trouble seeing the cool gray roof and the garage door done in Griffin working together. Which is why I'm thinking to lean into the color of the roof with the trim color and hope it also relates to the grout, and brick indirectly, and ends up looking cohesive and pulled-together.

• Elizabeth

Gun Metal grey for the trim. Deep enough color to be noticed but still a cool color.

• pennzies
    Автор
    I see a gauntlet gray at sherwin but not gun metal. I'll try to get a better pic of the roof today
  • pennzies
    Автор
    Would you compare it to the gunmetal by Benjamin Moore?
  • Elizabeth

Yes...that is the Benjamin Moore color I would use. It seems to be a deeper value of the roof color.

• pennzies
    Автор
    Ok thanks! I'll send a better pic of the roof today
  • pennzies
    Автор
    Here's a pic of the roof
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

Ok, so you do have a range of warmer near neutrals to work with. I'd add Annapolis Gray and Briarwood from Benjamin Moore to your list of chips/samples to try.

Sponsored