Houzz Logo Print
ayx881

Basement Layout Help!!

Anna Xu
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
We are hoping to finish our walkout basement but unsure about layout. We have 1 egress window in the back so will have a bedroom there but would like to add a flex room. Total sq ft is about 1100 sq ft in the basement.

1. Picture 1: should we add 2 extra flex rooms? But will this make the rec room space look too closed off?

2. Picture 2: should we just make a front room and leave the middle space open between the 2 rooms?

3. Picture 3: should we just do the 1 bedroom and put in shelving/ fireplace as in the next picture?

Which layout is best? Thanks!!!

Комментарии: 4

• PRO
    Intrigue Builders Inc

If it was me I would do the bedroom in the back but I would tuck a small walk in closet behind the bathroom so that the bathroom wasn't so long. 15 feet seems rather long. I would do what you suggest with the fireplace and shelves between 2 flex rooms and leave the front of those rooms open to the middle area so it feels open and spacious. I assume that you are closing off the mechanical room where the furnace and hot water tank are. That corner might be a good place to put a wet bar. Hope this helps

• PRO
    AKG Design Studio LLC

In most places, check code, you will need a closet in the room for it to be considered a bedroom and not a den. Since the bathroom is long, you can reduce it to 10' and have 5' closet next to it. Also it looks like there are a furnace and water heater that woud will want to enclose, maybe you can add another close next to it, instead of the long closet outside of the bedroom. As far as the rest of the space, it really depends on what you are planning to do with it. What is the general idea of the use? will you watch to TV or host guests? need more storage? answering those questions will help you select the correct layout for your needs.

• Anna Xu
    Автор
    We will be enclosing the furnace/ storage room and planning to use that wall as a wet bar.

I really would like an office in the basement and that is why I am looking to add an extra room in addition to the bedroom. Otherwise the space will just be used for watching tv and kids play space. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
  • User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

The need for a closet in a bedroom is an old wife's tale started by realtors for listing in the MLS service. There are no such "codes". The International Residential Code requires a sleeping area to have an emergency escape and rescue opening, smoke detector, CO detector outside the room, a switched light, but no door,... let alone a door to separate clothes from the rest of the room. The "CODES" do not even use the word "bedroom", let alone require one to have a closet.

The "long closet outside of the bedroom" is actually INSIDE the bedroom if you look close enough at the pencil drawing (picture 2) instead of the beam on the print.