Houzz Logo Print
dannybon

What would you do with this bathroom?

Danny Donagh
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Sorry, not a great photo but really, there's nothing else too see. It's totally plain.

How do i make it look better without wanting to rip it all out (i hate tiling).

Thanks for all your ideas on all my quesitons!

Комментарии: 17

• scottevie
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Refresh the grout if it needs it. Painting the walls above the tile in a white that matches the wall tiles might help brighten and visually enlarge the space. Is that a shelf above the toilet that you could place a trailing indoor plant on? A modern bath mat or rug on the floor with coordinating towels. Are you making improvements for yourself or for selling etc?

• denisreno

Depends largely on what you like - do you like those brown tiles? Personally I'd be spraying over those to lighten the room, but if you like those, spray the walls with whatever colour you're wanting as that will get rid of that little pattern that I suspect is on tiles on other walls as well? Looks like there is a shelf above the loo, so get an interesting plant or find some artwork that you don't mind looking at from the shower! :)

• User

What is your budget and long term plans for the home? It is a neutral space with lots of scope to add nice accessories, even a plant, colourful towels. I prefer a neutral bathroom over a 50's-60's candy pink or baby blue number.

• petapea

Could you white grout the floor to really lift it and make a feature of it at the same time? Also agree painting the walls white will help, and a frameless shower screen would make it look more modern. Then add greenery as it will offset the floor colour nicely.

• PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd

Paint the walls of the room white to match the tiles and change the flooring its bringing the room down and making it feel cold. You could go with a laminate floor if you're not wanting to re tile. You will need professional do to this though as waterproofing in bathroom is important. As N.B. interiors said above, replacing the shower screen would make a huge difference but that depends on your budget.

I will put some photos below for inspo

Siddal · Еще

Transitional Bathroom · Еще

Dauphin Island Bathroom and Kitchen Remodel · Еще

Broad Ripple Bungalow Bathroom · Еще

• spmm
    Oh those shower hobs are just dreadful, matching the impossible to clean toilet plumbing so beloved of Australian builders in the 60s and 70s.

You may find that the tiles were put on using a mixture of glue and cement as well, really difficult to remove.

It looks as if the toilet is plumbed from an awkward side position so putting in a modern one without exposed pipes would be tricky and may need to chase space into the bricks, after removing the tiles.

The boundless joy of getting tradies in to gut one of these with jackhammers and refit - not cheap, takes weeks to complete waiting for things to dry, and very dusty.

Requires the full parade of trades, plumbers, tilers, electrics, waterproofers all trying to work in the same space.

Should add value to sale and rental yields, If the property is worth it, I would recommend using a full service team and work the design until you are totally happy, most of the cost is labour if you don't overcapitalise on the fittings.

Enjoy
  • spmm
    https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/7625914/thumbs/g-feb2013

This is a combo bathroom laundry. The tiny vanity was bought to fit before we discovered the cavity was empty and not structural. Can easily be replaced with a fully wall hung one now.
  • spmm

sorry - this is hopefully the link to the ideabook - http://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/7625914/thumbs/g-feb2013

had to switch to a computer

• Ang F

I would leave the walls and just tile over the slate in a modern tile (provided slate is not dummy). Then replace the shower screen and fittings.

• Anne Love

Re fresh the grout, paint the wall white, and add some wood elements to enhance the floor. Also add some plants to add life to the room. It has good bones just need some character. Good luck

• Annette Corben

All of above and a floating shelf rather than that old fashioned painted pine shelf-then add plant etc

• PRO
    Decina Bathroomware

What about installing a shower system which includes an acrylic shower base & acrylic wall so no need for tiles at all in the shower area

• Vy

this is what I did to our old bathroom . The decorative squares were drink coasters that I stuck on the tiles :)

• girlguides
    I like the acrylic shower walls you can get wch could use as feature peehaps even over the tiles ???
  • frostygrrl

The only thing that is really ugly with this bathroom is the floor tiles and old shower screen. I'm all for getting new shower screen install. Repaint the whole bathroom with tile paint and for the floor get good quality water marine grade merbau timber and put timber decking over the bathroom floor. New shower head and tap fittings if you see fit.

• me me

I think you are lucky to have a nice neutral bathroom. I would paint walls white, get new frameless shower screen and regrout tiles if needed. Then add colourful towels and accessories.