Houzz Logo Print
52midlife

What do you think of glass pools?

beegee builders
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I build pools and this style is popular in some parts. I am interested to know ho many people would actually like this kind of finish.

A few things to think about....

1. Most people like to rest their arms on the edge of the pool and support themselves. Resting on a pane of glass is none too comfortable.
  2. Not many of us look great underwater when swimming. Imagine all your bits wobbling about - I know mine do!
  3. No one with a regular pool needs to worry about cleaning the sides to a perfect visiblity
  4. The added cost of a glass side is beyond most people

Комментарии: 22

• oklouise

YUK

• bigreader
    I love it.
  • annb1997

It looks pretty, but wouldn't suit me.

• jmm1837

Not a fan. To be honest, one of the nicest pools I ever saw was in Zimbabwe, at a time when materials were strictly limited there. The whole of the pool was finished in stone - and it was like swimming in a river, not a pool. Loved it. Glass, nah.

• marypryor892

Love it would have it if it was in my budget

• Georgina
    Does add a wow factor!
  • Bernadette Staal

I think it is really amazing.

• cloudpants
    I think it's the right pool for the house pictured.
  • Gallifrey

We have it at the far end of our pool, top 40cm only. We love it. Looks like and infinity edge, but without the hassle and cost. Lets face it most pools don't get used that much, and their most important function is as a landscaping feature. So why not have one that looks good.

• KK1000
    It's ok with a very modern house , I wouldn't have a pool to much maintenance and it's very permanent,I like to change things in the garden.
  • LesleyH
    If I had a cleaner I'd love it.
  • PRO
    Rezidraft Australia

You are exactly right on all points to consider.

It looks good if well maintained, but then there will be that week or two or three where the pool cleaning/maintenance get's put back due to other commitments and then you have a dirty pool.

And to get it back to it's sparkling beauty, will take longer than it took to get dirty in the first place.

• krc33

Pretty but not practical.

• mazgardiner

Only if I thought my body was worth putting on display... and if I had someone to look after the glass... so that's a NO, not for me.

• mishty48

I'd be always worried about cracks and leaks ( in the glass that is) ☺️

Any movement of existing tiles and area could be diasterous.

• Vy

I'm practical so no..not fond of pools..it would drive my OCD up the wall

• Gallifrey
    The glass is very thick and set into the concrete in a channel. This is why it is very expensive.

Not much chance of cracking or leaking.
  • evanandleanne

If I had a supermodel to swim in it then YES!!! hmmmmm. seriously, it looks great as a feature. what about utilising something similar as an aquarium? Obviously for high end spenders.

• svfortuna

We built a pool exactly the same, however we didnt use laminated glass but a monolithic piece of 80mm thick Plexiglass 3mx2m from Germany. This reduced the overall cost of the pool considerably. Pool was fantastic and doubled as a water feature when not in use. Incorporating LED lighting allowed the pool to take on the mood of the night. The only downside we found with the pool was that after heaving swimming and sunscreen the waterline of the Plexiglass would need a clean. Other than that it gained lots of comments and was even used for photo shoots and promo work.

• Barbara Dunstan

I have in fact got an indoor pool but just a traditional one nothing fancy and I have to agree with the author on point #2, that there is nothing much to look at on an old body underwater ha-ha

So as to the question, there would need to be a reason to go to the trouble and expense and I guess the above pool has a dramatic effect of infinity on the one hand and then the visual effect of the water being held in some way without being able to quite see how and the overall apeal is stunning.

• PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd

Good point by mishty48 - I live in Christchurch nz so earthquakes are a common thing. I'm sure any decent shake could easily move the tiles and crack or smash the glass