Houzz Logo Print
nmckend

Bedroom Help!

Nicole
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Trying to get my house together before hosting Thanksgiving on the 20th! My house is a 1930s bungalow, so I'm shooting for a more vintage feel. Our bedroom is SMALL and this is the only place for our bed. I've added the headboard below, but what kind of curtains, pillows/throws, and wall decor do you recommend over the bed. I'm thinking vintage, oval silhouettes over the bed. Trying to stay on a small budget too...thanks!

Комментарии: 15

• carole

here are a few examples...

Nicole поблагодарил(а): carole
  • emmarene9

I agree, the lamp is too small but the room is nice and I don't think you will need anything over the headboard.

• PRO
    Metropolitan Design Concepts
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

The room needs some color - you can easily add some pillows and a rug to do that. I like the sheer valance - very soft, vintage feel. Silhouettes would be a great addition - maybe not over the bed but on the side wall. Agree the lamp is too small. Try to find a bigger shade if you can - works for a budget so you don't have to buy an entire new lamp. You may also need a taller nightstand - looks short in this picture. Let us know what you decide!

Nicole поблагодарил(а): Metropolitan Design Concepts
  • acm

Shade won't do it -- it's not actually high enough to use for reading!

Agree with others on nothing over headboard, but put art on the wall to the left. Cute room!

Nicole поблагодарил(а): acm
  • Nicole
    Автор

Thanks all!

The low side table is actually a decoy for a litter box, unfortunately, it must stay for the time being. I thought about getting a vintage suitcase or two to stack up (b/c I do agree it's way too short), just to provide some balance with the bed, but I can't decide. It just seems impractical.

I've ordered three silhouettes to hang on the wall to the left as recommended.

I've also ordered long white, sheer curtains. Unfortunately, the curtains currently in use are falling apart.

Thoughts on pops of color? I will admit (per the picture above), I'm pretty plain Jane. I'm not big into patterns or bright colors, so it's tough for me to committ there. If you have pictures, it helps me! haha!

You guys are great!

• Danielle Black
    You could paint your walls or get new colorful throw pillows. Perhaps a long shorter piece of art would work. If you see reviews someone placed this horizontally above Their bed
    Nicole поблагодарил(а): Danielle Black
  • Crystal Renee

I really like the headboard you are getting. I think the room could use a pop of color, maybe yellow. Check out these cute feather throw pillows. They have a simple design and you can go with neutral colors or something a little more bold.

Nicole поблагодарил(а): Crystal Renee
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor

Ohhh I love where you are heading with this room design!

Might I suggest some architectural salvage pieces?

Perhaps distressed exterior shutters over the bed

or old tin ceiling tiles?

Or perhaps DIY palettes. These are easy and LOOK how awesome they look!

Nicole поблагодарил(а): Gordon's Window Decor
  • carole

some more on here......homedit.com 20 bedroom colors!!

Nicole поблагодарил(а): carole
  • housegal200

Instead of repainting, what about a painting over the bed? Depending on your taste, look for art work with grays, whites, and green or blues--something dreamlike or abstract. Then add a couple pillows in a color from the art.

Abstract Landscape Acrylic Painting on Canvas, 24x24 Greens, Creams · Еще

Original Landscape Painting Large Art 24x48 Sun Trees Wall Decor by Thomas John · Еще

Sunset Moon 2 (Original) by Mary Maguire · Еще

2 Piece Full Moon Painting · Еще

"Full Moon" Original Artwork By Jessica Jiyoung · Еще

Nicole поблагодарил(а): housegal200
  • emmarene9

It occurs to me that the reason you do not have color is you are not a person who requires a lot of color. I think it would be enough if you replaced the black pillow with one in a soft color and perhaps used that same color in some art for the left hand side of the window.

Nicole поблагодарил(а): emmarene9
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor

3/4 of the artwork suggested are far too contemporary 1930's bungalow. The first piece would lovely.

Nicole поблагодарил(а): Gordon's Window Decor
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design

Perhaps wood blinds, 2-3" slats to match the trim. May not need anything over the headboard, but silhouettes sound lovely. Colorful throw pillows.

Nicole поблагодарил(а): Beverly Anderson Interior Design
  • housegal200

Some smaller, more representational art. Frame in gold leaf.

"Twilight Procession" Art, 20"x8" · Еще

Twilight1 Art, 20x13.38 · Еще

"A Twilight In The Adirondacks" By Sanford Robinson Gifford Art Print, 24"x16" · Еще

Nicole поблагодарил(а): housegal200