Houzz Logo Print
kimobrien1

Controversy: Stain or Paint the front door?

Kim O'Brien
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

We have double mahogany doors on our new house that I had stained. The builder thinks I should paint the doors black. I think the black would look nice, but I'm having a hard time painting them because they are mahogany, a really beautiful wood. What would you do?

Leave it stained
Paint it black

Комментарии: 7

• PRO
    VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS

We say leave it, too! There's something beautiful and unique about natural wood. If the wood still looks good and have an interesting grain pattern, why mess with it?!

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.

I don't think I could ever give up mahogany for black.

• tooky58

If you want the black, put these in the garage and use something less expensive to paint. When you want a change, you have the beautiful originals.

• User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

How about a black stain?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Leave good wood stained. You could use a stain with more "ebony" (black) in it if you wished. However, I would put two rocking chairs on the front porch in red or aqua and brighten things up that way. It is quite stark as is, which your builder is probably responding to as he sees it. Also, you could enhance your "curb appeal" by putting some colorful ceramic pots on the porch and in the landscaping to add texture, color and appeal. Expanding your front beds and making them more curved and adding some large moss boulders along with some seasonal flowers would be a great help.

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design

I say paint it!