Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4479

Should I hang artwork on this wall?

User
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Living Room and Dining Room Makeover · Еще

When I redecorated this room I intended to hang artwork on the walls either side of the fireplace (below the wall lights). As a short term measure I propped up some paintings on the sideboards.

However, one year on I still haven't hung any art on the walls! My dilemma is, should I leave the walls as they are (I often rotate the artwork) or should I hang artwork on the walls, and if so, what?! I don't want it to look too symmetrical or 'matched' if you know what I mean. All ideas welcomed. Thank you.

Комментарии: 14

• Joanna C
    It's a very sweet room ;) Not sure what on the other side of it, but I think it might be worth hanging the decorations up to add height to the design. Also, the lamps on the wall look a bit lonely with the decorations sitting lower down.
    User поблагодарил(а): Joanna C
  • PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

It is a cute room, for practical reason I would replace mirror with some artwork. The mirror on that level seems to me not so much useful. / Marcin

User поблагодарил(а): Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
  • A B

I used to have a propped up painting like that on my similar dining room sideboard- same as you it started as temporary but i liked it so stayed. But i found if certain doors were open at the same time a rush of wind used to knock it down with a huge bang (and possibly sometimes a cat!) May not be an issue for you, just my experience

User поблагодарил(а): A B
  • sahussa

An alternative might be to put up a small picture shelf and prop the paintings up on that. It then gives you the freedom to rotate them as much as you like.

User поблагодарил(а): sahussa
  • PRO
    User
    Автор

Thanks everyone! Great ideas. I've actually now got a picture shelf on the wall behind the armchair, but I wondered about doing that above the sideboards too. I agree the lamps are a little lonely at the moment! I'll let you all know what I end up doing! Thanks again

• strawberry47
    This is such a pretty and restful space. The wall lamps could highlight artwork nicely. Choose the same size frames with complimentary colours/scenes. Alternatively have a mirror under one wall light and a picture under the other.
  • PRO
    Sparks Electrical Wholesalers Ltd

We're not designers or interior decorators, but the way it is looks great already :) maybe even less is better, to make sure you highlight and focus on what you really want to see.

User поблагодарил(а): Sparks Electrical Wholesalers Ltd
  • User
    I'd replace the mirror with a great big piece of art above the fireplace and redistribute the smaller pieces of art from the sideboards elsewhere in the house. Then maybe you could get some new objet d'art to put on them.
  • PRO
    Terragreen

Have you tried replacing the mirror for something larger & more decorative? pewter/ silver finish looks lovely, but maybe a carved wood/ driftwood could look really wow too! beautiful room as it is though :)

• Sarah
    The room looks beautiful and I like the art placed on top of the sideboards. I think if you placed some art under the lights then it may draw the room down. Sorry for the off topic question but please could you let me know where your sofa is from?
    User поблагодарил(а): Sarah
  • slimberley
    I love the informal look of your pictures at the moment. I'd agree about picture ledges as they'll keep the informal look and mean you can still swap things around easily. Plus, i think it'll look good if the pictures were slightly higher and the best bit is that you'll clear a load of space on your furniture which will make it much easier to clean!
    User поблагодарил(а): slimberley
  • PRO
    User
    Автор

Hi Sarah Chapman Thank for your comment! The Sofa is from DFS (it's the Tote range)

• Zette A Hutchins

If you want your mirror to stand out or to create more of a feature why don't you paint the middle third of the wall a deep navy, darkish but warm grey or even a darker shade colour of your chest of drawers? Will make your fireplace & stove & mirror stand out. This will give it a bit more structure and depth.. but am liking it. Any finished pictures?