Houzz Logo Print
rena_hawkins

Kitchen Remodel: Creating a Modern Kitchen by Painting Oak Cabinets

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

As a realtor, I often advise budget-minded clients to reuse their current kitchen cabinets instead of replacing them. I decided to take my own advise when I was ready to remodel my kitchen.

I fell in love with my South Charlotte home due to its open rooms, hardwoods floors, huge main floor master suite, and 1/2 acre lot. However, the home was built in 1988 and suffered from a severe case of "the 80s". When it came time to tackle my dated kitchen. I wanted to change the backsplash, remove the awful florescent lightbox and undercabinet lighting, and install a new stainless dishwasher and oven. But it was the dark oak cabinets that bothered me the most. With a $7,500 budget, replacing the old cabinets wasn't an option.

Luckily, the existing cabinets were solid oak and in good overall condition. First, I had my handyman completely remove the overhead soffits and moldings to make the cabinets appear as sleek as possible. I removed the doors and took them to a local woodworking shop to have spaces drilled out on the inside for European hinges. Next, I cleaned, sanded, and primed the cabinet boxes and doors before painting them using Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations in Federal Gray. The cabinet kit included

a can of dark glaze, which I used in the recesses and on the edges of the doors for an antiqued look. Finally, I added new brushed nickel hardware. With the money I saved on the cabinets, I was able to complete the entire project for $7,300.

I welcome your questions or comments!

Комментарии: 16

• PRO
    Stecki Construction

Wow! Looks great! Love the color of the cabinets!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Stecki Construction
  • PRO
    Kaplan Construction

The cabinets look great! Great job!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Kaplan Construction
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC

Great look as you got Reid of the oak era. Looks way better for your kitchen!

Ken

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • PRO
    The Ensuite

That looks awesome!! Taking out that heavy moulding on top of the cabinets and changing the lighting really opens up the space! Well done :)

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): The Ensuite
  • PRO
    Charco DESIGN & BUILD Inc.

Very nice! Love the color you chose for the cabinets!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Charco DESIGN & BUILD Inc.
  • PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc

Love the color of the cabinets. Great job!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): M&R Custom Millwork Inc
  • Joy
    A beautiful, smart transformation. Love your materials and colors and the fact you stayed within your budget. Down the road, if you want a more traditional look, adding cornices to your upper cabinets would look nice.
    Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Joy
  • PRO
    The Room Kit

Taking out the soffits was the right call, the room looks so much more spacious without them. Awesome job!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): The Room Kit
  • Hope B

I tried the dark espresso cabinet transformations kit on my kitchen and they aren't bad but they tend to get scratched or marks left on them very easily.. Does this happen with the lighter color grey you chose? or maybe just because I got a super dark color its more visible.

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Hope B
  • PRO
    Design Connection, Inc.

The update of the cabinets and the backsplash along with the lighting makes the kitchen seem more open. Great job!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Design Connection, Inc.
  • PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    Love the color!
    Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Drawer Essentials
  • PRO
    Andy Juy Designs

Just noticed you added the open shelf cabinet at the end on the left. Feel some open. Nice job!

Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate поблагодарил(а): Andy Juy Designs
  • PRO
    Rena Hawkins/Charlotte Urban Real Estate
    Автор

Hi Hope, thanks for taking the time to comment. After I painted my cabinets, I added one coat of the clear sealer, very lightly sanded it, then added a second coat. My cabinets have held up really well so far.

• PRO
    Chad Nanke - West USA Realty Of Prescott

Love the cabinets!

• Hope B

Oh okay, yeah for me we did the clear coat and it just looked horrible. possibly because we did the espresso so when the clear coat dried it turned into a frosty white color, which stands out on our cabinets.