Houzz Logo Print
jen_lang_ree

Quartz countertop seam through kitchen sink

Jen Lang-Ree
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

We just had this quartz countertop installed and when I saw the seam i was reassured by my husband that we would barely notice it when they were done. This is the final product, they have polished this and say it is finished. Is this standard? Should I complain? Is there anything they can do to make it less obvious?

Комментарии: 27

• User

Nothing looks good from 1" away. Good thing that's not the vantage point that you view it from. From 3' away, it is a half shade too dark, and that is it. They can perhaps cut out some of the fill to replace it with lighter, but, they might not get that 100% dither. The 95% it is right now isn't bad at all. You're hyperfocused on it.

• PRO
    Color Zen

That doesn't look acceptable to me and I'm pretty reasonable.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

That thing looks contaminated. Dig it out and do it over. Not a big deal.

Jen Lang-Ree поблагодарил(а): Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Lisa G

The seam itself looks good but the color is too dark. I'd ask them to do a better color match.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

The color is off, and that is all that is wrong. It's also the LEAST noticeable spot for a seam.Ask them to replace with a better match.

Jen Lang-Ree поблагодарил(а): JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Bubba the seam maker is used to grabbing his black magic marker to finish off his dark seams. He must have done that instinctively here. When he saw how bad the top looked he stopped and didn't do the front edge. I'd flood it with acetone first and maybe follow with some beauty shop peroxide to get the black out, then try some cream color magic marker with a scraped super glue topcoat if I had a dip.

• acm

"cream color magic marker"?? there is such a thing? that's opaque?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Use stain, whatever. You've just got to cover that color.

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC

Hey There: When I did my kitchen remodel, I ran into the same problem and at first I was not really happy. At the end, there is not much you can do about it but buffing it as good as possible. With these prefab countertop sizes there is only so much you can cut - so I decided to do less dishes and now it doesn't bother me anymore...

Good Luck

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans

The seam is nice and tight together but I agree that you should have them put a lighter color in there and clean it up. Personally as a fabricator I never put a seam with a sink unless it's a farmhouse and it's only in the back, when it's in the front you see it all the time. Not great placement in my opinion.

Jen Lang-Ree поблагодарил(а): Astonia Stone Artisans
  • Jen Lang-Ree
    Автор

This is not a prefab countertop. It was a slab that was cut to order. I am very unhappy with the seam placement and dark obvious seam. No one asked us where to put the seam and when I saw it in the most obvious place I rationalized that they had to put it there to get tge sink in.

• sunnydrew
    I would not be happy with the placement or the color of the seam. Try to see if they can lighten it any. As I am sure someone would comment, the seam placement is one of those things that should be questioned but probably never is.
    Honestly, I am a little surprised at the suggestion of using "beauty shop peroxide and a cream magic marker" to fix it yourself, this coming from a licensed contractor.
    Jen Lang-Ree поблагодарил(а): sunnydrew
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans

If you are unhappy I would pursue it with the fabricator. Did they provide you with a drawing of the layout before fabrication? Did you sign anything laying out the process?

• Tammy
    The grout color should have been matched to the overall white color of the Quartz so the seam disappears. It's a bad color match and they should redo it with a color you agree to.
  • Tammy
    For your info...They can dig out the grout and redo it. I had them fix mine.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

This is always the preferred placement for a seam since it is the least amt. of seam IMO they just need to change the filler to a lighter color get it done now. Show them the pic above.

• Jennifer Michel
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

@Jen Lang-Ree was the issue resloved?

• Jay Archer

Our quartz countertop was installed 11/06/19. We are outraged. with it Our kitchen is 134 inches wide and there is absolutely no reason it couldn't have been installed in one piece. Almost $3000.00 and this is what we ended up with. We haven't paid and we see what happens Monday.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Sorry Jay, even the biggest jumbo slabs top out at about 131 1/2". Those aren't the best seams, but they aren't the worst either. Install an apron front sink and the front one will be eliminated.

• Jay Archer

I guess what bothers me the most was a seam wasn't mentioned when the owner of the company came and measured. Then again I wasn't educated enough to ask questions. I'm a retired technician and whenever we would go and give an estimate for an office management system or network we asked all sorts of questions on what the customer needed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

That's because he never gave it a second thought. Seams at sinks are commonplace.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath

The seam itself looks great, they did a great job there, but the color is off -- too dark. Let them know about this and just ask them to redo it; it's a minor fix.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

It's actually too white. Rub a little gray Sharpie over it please.

• PRO
    User

Nice counter! The seam is at the perfect location, and it’s 95% good! I would stand back the standard 36”, and if I could still see the slight color variation, I’d do as Joe suggests.

• PRO
    Flamtech Appliances

From a execution perspective, the seam at the sink or cooktop is the place where it is the shortest, and also the easiest for the shop to do. If you judge a seam's visibility by length, that would be the place to put it.

But I always advise our customers on seam location, and personally I almost always see if they can locate it elsewhere, usually at a corner area. It always results in a longer, sometimes much longer seam, but to me, it's worth it to move the seam out of a high traffic area, which the sink and cooktop necessarily are. Not only is it not placed in a spot where you're constantly staring at it, more importantly, it's not in a location where it will be constantly getting splashed with water, food, sauce, crud etc. If there is any spot that would benefit from a seamless countertop, the sink and cooktop areas would be the place. That's my philosophy.

Plus, the manufacturers recommend locating seams in the corner if you're not going to do a rounded inside corner, like if you're doing a miter edge buildup.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Disagree! No better spot than the sink! A corner ? No way is that less " noticeable"

Crumbs are no factor on any seam