Houzz Logo Print
madelinesdreaming

A terribly well-thought out kitchen but oh my those chubby chairs..

Madeline
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
I don't think one vignette (point of view) of a designed room has frustrated and downright bothered me as much as those two fat stuffed chairs plunked down between the kitchen island and I suppose the family room. I can imagine scenarios for why they would be placed there (none of them appealing) but a good solid design reason just eludes me. There are the comfy-looking barstools lining the island that enable friends to sit and relax in one another's company; and even watch the show a home chef puts on. But with these chairs if the chef isn't Food Network-worthy, its occupants would be more apt to nap.

Couldn't the arbitrary "end line" made by the family room's couch be brought back five or six feet towards this island, i.e, in effect the furniture would be at a right angle to what is that existing wall? There'd maybe and necessarily be some dead space but it may be preferable to those two darn chairs! Why do anything to take away or diminish that fabulous lightness of being that was achieved in the design of this otherwise gorgeous kitchen, a kitchen that had I the money that at one time we were blessed to have, it would be packed up and for my pleasure and creative use, unfolded in my present honey-cabineted contractor's kitchen, a kitchen that got less than half way to what was its planned new look (and service to its cook!) when unknown to us what was preparing to cross our threshold, totally unexpectedly, was that well-known killer of fun and all good things, serious illness. As many of us know SI often travels with FS, no not Frank Sinatra, but financial straits, Get one whiff of the tossed air around either of these sinister party crashers and one just reaches for the brake pedal, slamming down hard. and effectively doing a job on any work in progress, then really smashing to bits dreams which were on the way to being realized, and you know, wiping out what was to come, the really big renovation, the one that was going to take what was simply a place bought in a hurry, and turn that pile of wood and stone into what could only be your house of dreams, standing solid for you in every chapter of your life. All that was left now was to follow that other dream and live the hell out of every square foot of your house, whereby you're pretty much guaranteeing whoever considers calling this home of yours, theirs, has to go the same route you travelled, taking what was a place that was just something some people sold to them and and do the work that comes from the heart: go ahead and change it, add on to it, but please leave there the evidence, the scars of living, and make this place yours, a home for life, truly what can only be your house of dreams,, scars and all, that had been put down and lived in right here in PVB. .
Kitchen · Еще

Комментарии: 3

• Lisa Harper
    It is actually an area that we love. Many times all those stools are filled with family and friends as well as those two wonderfully comfortable stuffed chairs. It's where my two college kids come in and plop down while I prep for dinner and where they share with me the most wonderful things that are happening in their lives. It's where my 83-year-old dad comes and shares the wonderful things happening in his life. I think your point is correct in that our houses should be a home that we "live"in and that is our own. That says it is.
  • PRO
    Sidney Cardel's
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Hi Madeline....while I appreciate your 'point of view' and how you aren't comfortable with this design decision....ironically, these two chairs are my client's favorite part of their kitchen/living area.

They wanted their home to have a very comfortable and cozy feel, so moving the sofa area closer to the island, yes...left too much "dead space" as you mentioned and felt too far way from the television viewing area. Moving the sofa area closer to the television then was a much better choice.

Adding these two chairs...in your words, "fat, stuffed, chubby chairs" gave them an additional space for friends and family to sit with everyone, including those on the swivel bar stools, to actually be part of the kitchen conversation...as most folks end up hanging in the kitchen to socialize.

One word you left out however, that I'd like to share with you in describing these chairs, is comfortable. They are part of an amazing, very high quality line of slip-covered furniture I sell in my store, Sidney Cardel's...and comfort is the company's main focus. Add in that you can then throw the covers in the washing machine and dryer, makes them even a greater choice when you 'live' in your home where your furniture can get more use than the norm sometimes.

Bottom line, making these chairs the arbitrary "end line" then became the answer. If you'll notice all of the other furniture in the entire space of kitchen and living room, are the same scale as the rest, not oversized at all.

I do however, greatly appreciate your feedback and an opportunity to explain our choices in design. All the best, Cathy

• Zachary Anderson

i looked at this setup and thought, YES! Maybe it's a NE FL thing. :) I would love this look / feel in our PVB home that's about to be remodeled completely.