Houzz Logo Print
haycart

We need inspiration!

haycart
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Would welcome suggestions on how to update the front of the house we are buying to make it look smarter/ more contemporary.
Any ideas re lighting, how to hide ugly bins, replacing 4 pane window. How to utilize a very small porch?

Комментарии: 12

• PRO
    Amelia Wilson
    Hello, I think the driveway is what is really letting the exterior down. I know it's quite an expense when you've just bought a new place but it will transform it. I'd suggest something dark grey - see photo. Are your doors and windows wood or uPVC?
  • haycart
    Автор
    Thank you Amelia, couldn't see the photo you mention though.
  • PRO
    Amelia Wilson
    Can you see it this time?
  • PRO
    Papillon Interiors

Hi, I think Amelia's idea is great, I may only do half and turf the rest to save money if the budget is tight. If you went for grey then a new garage and front door in the same colour would look super.

Perhaps consider taking the render off the first floor to mirror the neighbour (just a personal thought).

To block the large expanse of brick below the window perhaps 4 or 5 skinny cypress trees in pots could change the look quite dramatically.

The slim window looks a bit dated due to the horizontal bars so just one pane may modernise that area.

There are some super wheelie bin hiders, I'll post a picture.

I hope we've helped :-)

• PRO
    Papillon Interiors

Wildlife Friendly Front Garden · Еще

• haycart
    Автор
    Yes your comments have been really helpful. Thank you
  • A B

I think it could look really nice- what's your budget? I think replacing windows, doors and driveway would have a huge impact. I'd also paint over the cream with a light grey and add some pots. That huge window is fantastic!

• haycart
    Автор
    Thanks Jen,
    We liked the long window and will definately replace it with one pane of glass. Haven't decided on a budget yet as we have work to do inside the property first, we were gathering ideas and will then see what we can afford after the interior work has been completed. Neither of us are big fans of the grey exterior paint which is used in a lot of contemporary properties. Love the grey drive idea however.
  • wilmet45
    I wouldn't replace the long window with one pane- it looks like the original window. It's the other Windows that are wrong- the house wasn't designed like that. Also, the porch seems to be an extension: it is spooling the line of the window on the ground floor, so I would get rid of that too. I agree with the previous poster about the render: I would just have the top half rendered, then the house would look more balanced. Can you get a picture of the house when it was built? That will give you an idea of the architect's vision.
    I agree about the drive.
  • Kevin Jovinsie
    hello, this is the results of my sketch. hope you like it, thanks
  • haycart
    Автор
    Thank you for the time you've taken to do this Kevin, that gives us another option to consider.