Houzz Logo Print
ksggro

Help with lamps

Billie G
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
Not sure if these lamps fit in this space. Unfortunately, they are soft gold colour and I really wanted them silver.

Комментарии: 50

• latifeh hammad
    If you hate them spray paint with what ever color you want
  • Billie G
    Автор
    @Latifeh and Ida thank you for your comments. I would prefer not to paint the lamps as I am sure I would not do a good job and it would be obvious. So, I will return them tomorrow. I am quite conscious of the fact that the wall is bare (light grey) but I am not finished with decorating the room yet and feel very uneasy putting up art or mirrors, as we don't have picture rails installed. So anything up on the wall will have to stay. At the moment the plan is to get a bigger bed, preferably upholstered in the same cream linen as the curtains and change the bedding to white or similar. I must admit that I am afraid of making mistakes while in the process of decorating, that I have a certain paralysis of thought and action as how to best tackle it. I have attached two photos of the lamps I previously had in the room and a sun burst mirror I purchased for above the bed. I was not sure I could use the mirror, but when I saw it I fell in love with it and had to buy it.
  • Yvonne Cameron
    paint them silver!
  • Rena Ogle Benfield
    Get that blue chair out of there- Needs more color- Med. too Large Print over the Bed- Both pair of lamps are ALL wrong- Add color- If you want Purple add Purple - Hate that spread......
  • mzlove
    love the new lamps with the purple shades. Good height and color.
  • PRO
    Give Me Shelter Design, Inc.
    I would also lose the footboard on the new bed to open the space up. The chest at the foot of the bed will be enough. I agree that the blue chair should go or be covered. The lamps go with the mirror...but should be much taller for balance.
  • PRO
    White Lotus Feng Shui & Interior Design
    Billie G, I liked the shape and warm color of the round lamps and would have changed the heights of them by putting them on stacks of books....but if you like these cute little lamps better, power to ya. Don't fret over the "right" and "wrong" of decorating too much. What you might do, however, is find an "inspiration" room in a magazine or take a picture of a model home room you love, and design your room based on those proportions and elements. It would be a formula that you can tweak and work with...at least if you see something you DO like, it gives you a starting point rather than trying to picture what might work. Most people have a hard time with their own spaces...even designers get stuck. It's easier when you're not vested in the space. Take your time...but find your inspiration room to help you with scale and ideas to make your bedroom a lovely respite. Most importantly, have fun with it! :)
  • Lisa
    Love the original lamps, only wish they were taller, maybe put them on stacked books? It's a lack of height issue. Also think something on the wall above the bed (pictures, mirrors, wreath, artwork) would really help. Lovely bed, by the way.
  • camsmiles4u
    I don't feel the lamps are the issue. It is the bare wall over the bed. You can always paint the lamps to the color you like. I would find something that combines all of the colors you are using in the room to try and tie them together. They say to use a picture or pattern and try and utilize those colors and hues in the room, or try and keep the color balanced from one side to the next. I find using the colors and different hues of the bedspread make it easier in a bedroom. Also the night stands are different heights. This gives an unbalanced feeling. I would make or by a small box that will fit under the lamp to raise it to equal the height of the other lamp, and stain it. You can always hide it with something. A quaint stack of books or a decorative antique looking jewelry box in front.
  • Eldonna Ruddock
    Paint the lamps silver, it's easy. I'm fond right now of those wood strip backgrounds a head board goes up against on the wall. You can either the whole wall or just a space generously larger than the headboard and taller. Or be very dramatic with the wall, making it look like that fabulous urban decay wall from the therapist's space in The King's Speech.
  • pinkturnip
    If the new lamps are a shade of gold instead of silver, would that not add some warmth that you need to go with the beautiful starburst design wall hanging that you purchased for over the bed? Maybe increase their height level by stacking them on some old and interesting books, hang the starburst with a small finishing nail just to see what it will look like.
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Thank you all for your comments. Keating Design you are absolutely right, thank you. I will use one of the photos I saved in my idea book as inspiration and proceed with decorating. I have more or less decided on curtains, so that is a big step for me. Custom made curtains in Europe are so expensive to make a mistake with and I have about 10 windows to cover. Simple roman blinds in most rooms to start with to which I will add some drapes in certain rooms. It is too bad we don't have a Restoration Hardware or Ballard here. I love their designs. What are your thoughts on the sunburst mirror for the bedroom?

Rena, I am sorry you hate the spread. It is actually a rather nice piece I bought in Oman, where we lived for a long time and is a bit of a souvenir. The blue chair will obviously find another place and will be reupholstered to fit with other furnishings in the new room. I will attach the photo of the chair without the blanket and together with the rug I have in the bedroom. As you will guess our last bedroom had a blue and white theme. We have recently moved into our new house and that is why many things have to find another space and use.
  • Carolina Sabo
    They would work if you had a deeper toned shade... Eggplant, plum color etc.
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    Nice, soft color and contrast art work would look nice over the bed: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/panoramic-prints/products/panoramic-print-6090
  • PRO
    White Lotus Feng Shui & Interior Design
    Billie G....I am not a fan of anything with points...in Feng Shui it's referred to as "poison arrows" and I find the energy to be harsh. Also, anything that's reflective around the bed isn't a great idea...mirrors should never reflect the people occupying the bed. It's Sha Chi (bad energy). Instead, think of a natural scene that would make you feel calm, relaxed, cozy...perhaps enlarge a photo(s) you've taken during your travels and frame it/them with wide matting. It's a lovely way to personalize your space. Using things you've collected over time or to which you have an emotional attachment is always a better approach than using something that has no meaning to you. I like that you want to keep your bedding...maybe add a scarf at the foot of the bed and a few pillows in different shapes and textures for an updated look. As for draperies, do you have access to home decor outlets near you? Sometimes the best way to dress many windows is to get ready-made panels rather than spending a fortune on custom draperies. I hope this helps.
  • Charlotte Puglisi
    Colored light bulbs.
  • PRO
    Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
    Personally I quite like the look of the lamps themselves. Maybe changing the shades to a colour that enhances the lovely colours on the bed would be good. Adding some more colour through some artwork is also what I would recommend. I have added a couple of my one of a kind pieces to give an idea.
  • babyblujul
    really? do people need to say they hate this or hate that??!? what about just giving some constructive criticism and suggest ideas? no need to be so harsh...Billie G, I love your bed...and covering it in a spread that means something to you is what makes your home special. I think the sunburst mirror over the bed would look awesome!
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Thank you ALL so much for your comments and your ideas. It is really kind of you to spend some of your time helping me and I sure need lots of help. I must add just one thing about the new lamps. They are actually glass lamps from ZARA, that seem to be covered in a type of gold foil with design on them. So, I am sure that I cannot possibly succeed painting them. Much simpler to return and wait till I find the right pair. In the meantime the curtains will be ready. Hopefully. :-)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Lamps are nice but too short. Go much taller36". Add a nice big pic over bed 4" above headboard. Try TJMax.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Add some print pillows on bed. Don't be afraid of color a bright throw on white bed would help.
  • Kathy Martz_Walsh
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
    the chandelier does not go with you bed headboard and footboard, your headboard is masculine and sporty... sorry maybe put a throw over the footboard to soften the look. a white spreed and white pillow covers would be more elegant
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Thanks for your comment Kathy. Almost everything in the bedroom is from the same period. But I do agree that the chandelier is a bit more feminine than the bed. However, the bed does have some lovely marquetry inlay with flowers and bows. This bed will eventually find its use in my daughter's bedroom when we finally chose a new and bigger upholstered bed for this room. I have set my sight on a tufted bed with light oak frame.
  • cluelessintheyard
    Love the bedspread from Oman and it has meaning for you. Keep it, particularly if you love the color and texture. Mixing up the pillows with color and/or texture will pump up the impact and begin to balance the expanse of the bed. Love the shape of your lamps. Too bad the interpix ( ;D) don't do the material justice. Sadly though, the scale and functionality, if you read, just isn't there. I like asymmetry, myself so the nonmatching bedside tables are find but again, their scale is awfully small for the bed. You mentioned replacing the bed? Frame or no frame? Wood?headboard? Upholstered?
  • cluelessintheyard
    Oooh, light oak changes everything, Billie G!
  • kitchenmissus
    They are beautiful lamps, but too short. Could you mount them each on a wood base of the type that ginger jars sit on?
  • PRO
    Ida York Interior Design
    Billie G, I like the height of these lamps better. I also agree about removing the chair and foot board--simplify the space. In your last pic you can really see the ceiling better. So, take advantage of your fabulous chandelier and get something sparkly above the bed. I would even think about a new headboard...hmmm weekend project? Start at your local Architectural Salvage yard and see what inspires you for a new headboard!
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Thanks for your kind comment cluelessintheyard. Yes. We would like to purchase a bigger bed as this one is just a double. After almost 27 years it is time to have some more space. The bed would idealy be with an upholstered, tufted headboard with perhaps oak frame. We almost bought one last year but the colour was a light mauve and I really would like it to be cream. And preferably no footboard but a similar tufted bench.
  • jingstad
    Definitely need taller, bigger lamps. I think you could use the sunburst mirror. If you find a color that you love, you could paint the sunburst and lamps to match. It isn't hard to paint.....just use spray paint. It is a fun way to coordinate items.
  • Billie G
    Автор
    @ jingstad. I really would not like to paint the mirror as it is an antique.
  • jingstad
    Because of the convexity of the mirror....I am thinking that you place the mirror over the bed, then paint your new bigger lamps that you find silver....and hang a few crystals on them to go with the crystals on your chandelier. It would look very nice. Then go with a stunning bedding set like this (which compliments your antiques) and you will never leave the room.
  • Robin Seefahrt
    I love the mirror. there's a lot of wall space to work with and other pictures added with it in a nice arrangement would be nice. Try to balance it with various size and scale like a large picture and a couple of smaller ones. I've mixed arrangements on the floor to find something pleasing then mounted them. If you make a mistake a little spackle and paint will fix it using picture hangers. A grouping over the bed area with your mirror would look nice.
  • latifeh hammad
    To be honest the original ones way better and after I saw your chandelier I don't know why you thought they don't fit
  • jingstad
    I think I found the perfect lamps....
  • latifeh hammad
    Yes they are congrats don't forget the pictures
  • Carmen Mercado-Leyva
    I really love this lamp, I hope this is the one you are choosing.
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Jingstad, the lamps are lovely. But wouldn't there be too much bling in the room with the chandelier and two lamps with crystals?
  • Joan Blair
    Taller needed
  • Kathy Martz_Walsh
    tufted headboard..... I would love that in this room !
  • Billie G
    Автор
    I have returned the lamps everyone agreed were too small. I saw some new lamps in the shop and this time instead of bringing them home and returning them I have taken some photos. Which one do you think would be suitable for my room, if any?

Incidentally, I saw this metal headboard for a fraction of its original price and was wondering if I could use it in a room for 19 years old boy? Is it too feminine? Thank you so much for your help.
  • Anum Ismail
    your first were classy.. issue is with fat base lamps you shouldn't keep anything else on the ends table..
  • Billie G
    Автор
    Anumaura, do you find the purple lamps or the cold colour classy?
  • PRO
    Ida York Interior Design
    For a boy's bedroom, I would look at a reclaimed wood headboard, something that shows some distress. It can be masculine and sophisticated at the same time. As for the lamps, I like the clear glass one the best, the glass balls are already looking a little dated. I still think some wallpaper would look stunning in there with that chandelier and the purple/silver combo you have going on. Keep us posted!
  • Anum Ismail
    With your chandelier first of the three recently posted look good.. I love your chandelier. Even the bedding. Lilac is cool.
    Purple ones look more buffet type :p these are neutral.. & Would work nicely & slowly into your future renovation
  • Anum Ismail
    What's the height of this one? I feel its same height as your first from the dilemma post.. Height was all the issue n the numerous decor pieces on end tables..
    Plus do use a book or two under the lamp where the height seems smaller due to table..
  • Billie G
    Автор
    @ Ida York, I was thinking the same about the ball lamp. I've seen it too often in Houzz photos, but it does look nice. Both lamps are about an inch taller than the first, "dilemma" lamp. I also prefer the slightly slimmer and taller lamp shade that these new lamps have. Originally I was looking for some teal colour lamps, but could not get anything that would be just right for the room. And you are so right about the wallpaper. I am very fond of Osborne & Little Radnor wallpaper 05 and would just love it in my bedroom. Hopefully one day it will all come together. I will look for a nice wooden headboard as well. Thank you so much for your help.

@anumaura, Glad you like the colours in the bedroom and the chandelier. It is an antique french chandelier, that I would love to add some different shades of grey pendants to. And you are right! The smaller purple lamps were indeed used on a side table elsewhere in the house before. The colour just worked in this room, so I reused it. The hight of the ball glass lamp is around 60 cm (23.5 ") and is just an inch taller than the "dilemma" lamp.

I would like to thank ALL of you for your help and kind words. Facing the daunting task of a complete renovation in a foreign country, I truly appreciate your help.
  • Anum Ismail
    On your chair, there are slipcovers available in the market.. You will have to check prices tho
  • Anum Ismail
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
    Check her lamps, pretty nice: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-me-decorate-my-new-bedroom-dsvw-vd~384230
    Don't worry about silver/gold.. personally i plan to do my bedroom with a mix of silver n gold so that I can easily use warm to cool to dark colours of bedding that I have.. easiest stylish way to tie it up..
    Your first lamps were designer-ish! their lamp shades were modern.. your sun burst mirror is copper n antique-ish sort.. chandelier crystal-ly - modern... am having a hard time picturing them chandelier n sunburst together..
    You can try olioboard.com if you like to view rooms.. but don't recommend it too much..

I think before lamps, get the bed.. that is the main piece (heavy investment too) that can't be easily replaced.. after that work around it.. the issue is that you are picking too many threads up... pick the weightier one and move forward one step at a time.. heavier investment to lesser..
    By the way looooove your rug under the chair and throw along with bedding. you have soemthing going on there..
    Master Bedroom · Еще
    misc · Еще
    A Classic CT Home with a Modern Flair · Еще
    Jane Lockhart Bedroom Makeover · Еще
    Historic Brightwaters Residence · Еще
  • joyceg
    I could envision a rich purple wall behind the headboard. Several shades darker than the pillow, maybe even an eggplant color. LOVE the chandelier and it would look even more elegant with a dramatic backdrop. As for the lamps, my vote goes for beefier lamps such as your originals. A wide picture above the bed would anchor the room.