Houzz Logo Print
kathydmorgan

What to do above the China cabinet?

kathydmorgan
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
My husband inherited this china cabinet, plus a full dining room suite including buffet, from his grandparents. It's not my taste but what can you do.

I have struggled with how to decorate above and/or on the top of this China cabinet. It it located in our entryway which is just off the dining room. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations of actual products that would work in this space.

Our furniture and decorating style is Old World.

Комментарии: 49

• everylittlethingconsidered
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I would recommended shifting the focus to a large impressive mirror over., therefore detracting the eye if you're not too keen on it!

• 12karatisa
    Is it your husband's taste?? If it does not appeal to either of you, then put in storage (it might appeal to you some day), sell it or give to a relative. Antique stores are full of things a previous generation loved. Does it give you good vibes or bad vibes?? If you keep it, I would suggest editing some of the things you have inside. Would one of the taller pieces look good on top of it?? I would also suggest changing out the valance and drapery in the dining room going with a more updated, lighter version. Also, is that corner plant real or fake?? If it is fake I believe it should be removed.
  • 12karatisa
    Love your floors and paint color
  • groveraxle

Keep it simple. Got some vintage photos of the grandfolks?

• Chenai Maguwah

A modern/transitional shapely over-sized vase will do it ( I say over-sized because your floors and rugs need to be considered and you don't want something with a similar shape that accentuates the things that do not appeal to you in the cabinets. They are very beautiful. If you get something from a more contemporary time period that compliments the wood of the cabinet you will 1. Offset the retro style lack of appeal of the cabinet while still complimenting it with modern decor which would imply that you intended to keep it for a transitional look :)

• jck910

There is already enough stuff in it. I like the top empty

• leelee

First, center the china cab on its wall. You'll still have room for the light switch.

The cabinet is a lot more stylish and unique than most. How tall is it?

If you want to add height you might look for a long narrow picture or painting to be hung just a few inches over the top.

• geo55
    My first thought was to put some large ginger jars on top. In colors that relate to your decor or maybe blue and white ones which always work. But if you have to invest a lot in making the piece work, might be preferable to remove it.
  • geo55
    My first thought was to put some large ginger jars on top. In colors that relate to your decor or maybe blue and white ones which always work. But if you have to invest a lot in making the piece work, might be preferable to remove it.
  • Barbara Lane
    What about taking out the dishes/China and putting in some books... That way it looks less like it should be in the dining room and more like an " interest" piece...also painting it would liven it up... It's got great lines... 1 color outside wig contrast or wall paper inside and you've got a real conversation piece that pops!
  • sunnydrew
    Since it is not to tall, you could do a small grouping on top. Keep it simple and it will look nice. I think it is too tall for a mirror to be hung above. How high is the top of the cabinet?
  • happyleg

You can hang thee plates on wall 6 inches in a group. Lowest at 6 inches.

• happyleg

Recess lights above it.

• kathydmorgan
    Автор

Thank you everyone who replied. I've added a few more pictures of the space and you will see the China cabinet is centered on the wall. I'm adding pictures of the great room and dining room. Let me know what you think? Like? Dislike?

• calidesign

They are beautiful antiques. You could pull three of the large pitchers out from the inside and use those on top, which will make the stuff inside less crowded also. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a few blank walls.

• kathydmorgan
    Автор

Thank you.

• happyleg

The mirror is throwing me out your dining room. The vase is too large for table,move to top of china cab. I would put art or the flower mirror over buffet table. Coffee table oval or round ( glass top) instead of ottoman stools.

• happyleg

Clock to LR.

• Christian Decor
    Buy some good wine, rock his world, and get rid of cabinet.
  • kathydmorgan
    Автор

Thanks everyone. Clock to LR where, happyleg?

• cineus
    How about switching china cabinet with buffet piece in dining room. Is it too long? If not could use with pieces as is.
    China cabinet in dining room. Could put few pieces from cabinet on top of it. Looks like you have too many items in cabinet. Seems cluttered. Nice spaces.
  • gtcircus
    My thought was to put some LED light strips inside to light up the contents. I would highlight a collection rather than random items. I was thinking of blue and white plates with a blue and white vase on top.
  • gtcircus
    My other comment is if the cabinet is OAK, then I'd consider spray painting it lacquer black to modernize it so it goes with your things.
  • oliviag55

Oh, lord. Do not, not, not, spray paint that beautiful grain. Give it away, first.

The cabinet is amazing, and lovely, and unusual. I spent thirty years (off and on) with my dad in the antique business, and never saw one quite like yours. First off, the great oak pattern with the cabriole leg is quite unusual. The square leg in the back is unusual, as well. I've seen dozens in walnut and other fruitwood, with cabriole front and back, and once in awhile , square leg in the back. I'm sure this is an American piece

The dining room set is mixed from other times, as most of us do in our homes. The sideboard is much later than the rest, I think. The chairs are quite lovely, and remind me of my grandmother's chairs. I'd love to have a better look at the legs of the tabe.

At any rate, if you and your husband don't love any of it, try to find someone in the family who does. Especially the china. It's an unusual and exceptional oak piece.

It's much harder today. So many young people don't love the old, handcrafted pieces, as they simply don't understand the difference. I visit shabby chic stores, and see great pieces in trendy paint finishes, and feel ready to cry.

My grandfather built furniture, and beautiful homes and mansions, back in the day. it took amazing talent to create those pieces, especially with their hand tools.

• gtcircus
    It's not rosewood, walnut or anything special as far as wood is concerned. In fact, if it makes the piece more appealing to this couple, I am all in favor of recycling it by doing whatever they want to the piece. What I learned from my grandmother who grew up in the Victorian era is that they recycled their pieces all the time. Who wants a dreadful dark piece of oak furniture that doesn't make them smile. If painting it lacquer red made this couple happy with the piece I say go for it. Tastes change and that is why people need to learn to adapt and not live in museums dedicated to dead relatives.
  • happyleg

Clock to LR, at where flower mirror is now.

• Debp
    I like the idea of trying to switch the two pieces of furniture too. I think the picture over your couch needs to be lowered as does the mirror in the dining room if you don't replace it with some art.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

Tietjen Dining Room · Еще

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

• susanalanandwrigley

Can you clear it out a little so it doesn't look so cluttered? I don't think I'd like vases or anything sitting on top of this piece, but a lovely piece of art, like it BeverlyFLA's post above, would be great.

• Seajay Sparkles
    If it would work out size wise, love to see the buffet switched out to foyer with clock and candlesticks. They seem a more appropriate foyer furnishing than the china cabinet.
  • kathydmorgan
    Автор

We have moved the buffet into the foyer area but it sticks out too far. I understand we are trying to make pieces fit when they really don't. My husband is sentimental yet he too realizes they aren't something we would choose ourselves but his mother would be crushed if we sold them. No other family members have space.

So for now we just try to make the best with what we have.

I appreciate all the feedback. I am not crazy about the mirror in the dining room either. A friend helped me pick it out and said the room needed something plain but I've never agreed. The picture above the sofa was supposed to go in the dining room where the mirror is.

What does anyone think about moving the mirror in the dining room above the sofa?

• susanalanandwrigley

Honestly I think I would just get rid of that mirror or put it elsewhere ... to me it looks like it would work better vertically in a space where you want a full-length mirror (like a bedroom). If you put it over the sofa, what exactly would it reflect? Can't tell from your pics but I'm guessing a TV? Not something worth seeing double.

• cineus
    Thought buffet might be too long to switch. Your China cabinet looks a little cluttered. You could display a few items that go together from cabinet . Group in 3. Need something with some height to the side. Maybe candelabras.
    If you don't like that idea you could hang a picture above a little narrower than cabinet and put few small items on top.
  • PRO
    Knema, LLC.

Lots of good suggestions here, but I saw some mention the idea of adding LED lighting to make the items in the piece the focal point instead of the whole unit.

This is a great suggestion, below is an example of just that. We provided the LED lighting that went into this customers humidor.

• tlparks

Is there another room you could place the buffet from the dining room? I have used antique items like this in a guest bedroom and it looked adorable.

• kathydmorgan
    Автор

Thank you all. I do have a guest bedroom so you never know.... I'm also going to attach a few pictures of our kitchen, which is the view from sofa. That's in response to the question asking what would be reflected in the mirror if we put the mirror over the sofa.

• happyleg

Yes put mirror above sofa. I have antique mirror above my sofa.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    Good input for you. I like the idea of a few great pieces of porcelain on top of cabinet. This is a great piece so DO NOT PAINT IT. Honor it. The large mirror can go to bedroom or bathroom standing upright for dressing area. Not good for over sofa. I won't repeat more what others have said but i think you have good eye and mirror is good example. Have more faith in yourself.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    From your pictures i would swear the buffet with the round black wall piece over it does not look wider than the china cabinet. But if you are sure you can't exchange those, too bad. That is perfect solution. ☹️
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    Even if the buffet is a bit deeper it is narrower so after you got used to it would it work?
  • Valerie Gorman

It seems cluttered looking with the various dishes inside. I LOVE the idea of putting old books inside instead especially since it's not in the dining room. It would give the piece heft and look far more old world. The top would look nice with a guilded framed piece and perhaps a bust or vase and some sort of light fixture if needed, an old looking lamp with an oiled bronze base or a set of chunky candles on wooden stands maybe?

• PRO
    FK Interior Design

A collection of plates and vases, or art, similar to the attached image

Firoozeh

www.FKinteriors.com

• jmm1837

I have a cabinet of similar size which is totally different from my normal furniture - the cabinet is late 19th/early 20th c mahogany inlaid with other woods, dark and highly polished, whereas my taste runs to MCM Danish teak. The cabinet sits in a niche in my entry hall, a bit separated from the rest of my furniture. And in my opinion, it looks terrific.

The trick for me has been to think of the cabinet not as a storage place for china (or books, for that matter) but as a series of frames for the contents. So arranging what's in the cabinet into nice vignettes is really important - you want to look at the contents of each of the "frames" made by the doors and shelves of the cabinet as individual displays of art. Reduce the things in the cabinet, make sure that each element fits within its frame, and balance the odd large piece with little groups of smaller ones. Then follow Grover's suggestion of a few mixed pieces above the cabinet, and call it a day.

I don't believe it needs a painting or mirror above it (too high) and please, please, don't paint it. It's a piece of, if not art, artistry in its own right.

• Sharon Veenhof
    Kathie, I actually quite like it. I would leave things as they are. You have done a great job decorating your home. I have only 1 suggestion. Replace the faux plants, flowers with real ones. Real plants bring life to a room that silk or plastic cannot replicate. It looks like you have some real treasures inside of the cabinet as well. Don't get rid of it or change it. Antiques give a room " soul".
  • ei21622
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

I love the cabinet. A nice big mirror would be nice over it or a large modern piece of art with lots of bright colors and bold deep reds.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Old post

• felizlady

Do not ruin the piece by painting it. Hang a piece of art in a similar-toned frame just above the cabinet or place two pieces of chunky cut glass (sugar bowl and creamer?) or two agreeable decorative pieces on top. Center the china cabinet between the light switch and the dining room opening. If you can, replace the light switch and cover frame with new ones closer to the wall color.