Houzz Logo Print
layla_shkoukani

Advice on industrial/retro look

Layla Shkoukani
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
We are currently extending our 1960's red brick semi creating a large open plan family kitchen/living space. We are reusing our shaker style cream kitchen cupboards and oak work top but adding to it. I am leaning towards an industrial/retro look with greys, deep blue and (because of cupboards) cream. Any advice on how to create such a style?

I am thinking breakfast bar in blue, off white Quartz top, antique brass kitchen handles and pendant lights, grey tiles, charcoal Windows and grey exposed steel beams. Would antique brass (as an alternative to copper) work with this look? Any suggestions appreciated!! :)

Комментарии: 12

• Layla Shkoukani
    Автор
    Lights over breakfast bar
  • PRO
    Create Perfect

Hi Layla,

Wow, some great ideas going on there.. and hopefully a great space to follow!

Cream and white to not a great combination as the white can often make the cream look dirty and dull. These are all elements that need to balanced very carefully to get the right look but you are heading in the right direction. The blue is fab. Try and make sure you balance the colours throughout the space - for example is blue going to be anywhere else in the space.. or just the breakfast bar?

There seems to be quite a lot going on in terms of textures and patterns so it maybe good to get some better idea of how it will all look. If you are not using a kitchen company who would do some 3D renders, we offer a 3D render package which you maybe interested in to get an idea of how it will all look before you purchase. Please feel free to drop me a message if you want some more details on that.

If not please do keep us informed as I would love to see how it turns out.

All the best,

Gina

• Jonathan
    Sorry- I think this doesn't do what you want it to because the original kitchen isn't industrial.
    Can you replace the doors and worktop?
    For an industrial look you need (in my opinion) flat fronted doors with either chunky handles, handless doors or sleek steel handles. I think the worktop should be concrete colours or metal, or any battered wood or stone.
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign

Hi Layla! You've got a very interesting project! It sounds like you have a right idea what to do. To be honest, this style industrial and especially in mix with retro can be hard to recreate not being professional. But the best advice I can give you - try to keep it simple, don't try to mix too many shades and colour tones. Add more textures and details in accessories! Than more colours you have to mix than harder it will be to balance all together. Blue is gorgeous but still too many colours around - cream, grey, white, brown wood, blue, copper...surely i missed something! If you like to highlight your breakfast bar by making it blue, may be at least to use similar worktop as in the kitchen? What finishing do you plan to use for walls?

Industrial loves brick, concrete, bare pipes, wires. Retro - clutter free space, funky colours, old look furniture and appliances. How much if each style would you like to bring in? which style is dominant?

• Layla Shkoukani
    Автор
    Oh boy! Lots of food for thought there. Thank you so much for all that. All very useful and I think perhaps I need to go away and chew on it all and think about what it is I actually want. I really would only want a touch of industrial in things like lighting, bar stools, some brass accessories and the exposed beams as I think the look can be quite cold and dark looking (?) I thought perhaps the deep blue, oak and cream would keep things warmer. I will def scrap the white Quartz idea. Trying to pull too many ideas together I realise, so will keep thinking! Thanks again :)
  • PRO
    The Lighting Company

The Industrial look is bang on trend at the moment. However don't forget to warm up those dark colours with some some industrial look lighting. Copper or other metal tones combined with glass will go well with the blue and exposed brick idea

https://www.lightingcompany.co.uk/search/industrial-lighting

or perhaps just a simple lightbulb idea!

Good Luck. It will all come together, it jut seems like alot of big decisions to make all at once doesn't it?!

• Elliott Cook

Layla, sounds VERY interesting, give us a call if you're interested in taking part in a BRAND NEW ITV property renovation show! All the best, Elliott

• PRO
    Anna Siodelska

Hi

You might want to add some impressive 3D wall art like my Large Industrial Wooden Wall Clocks. All of my clocks are handcrafted therefore unique and full of character - would look amazing as a centrepiece in industrial interiors.

There is many more designs available on my website Peak Art Clocks including Giant 120cm Charismatic Clocks and Large Roman Numeral Skeleton Wall Clocks.

Thanks a lot

Anna

• PRO
    JW Bespoke Architecture and Interior Design

Hi, you have picked a great style, very on trend! Check out 'DeVOL' kitchens for some great inspiration, I think it will be right up your street..

• PRO
    Cabinet Handle UK
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Do not forget about retro style kitchen handles:

https://cabinethandle.uk/cup-handles/

• Ellie
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

"don't forget...." you're 4 years too late!