Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Crazy to make my own mullions for cabinet door?

beachem
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

More compromises on the kitchen. The CAD drawings came back and my 4 doors with a simple curved mullion would cost $2000 just for the mullion addition.

$2000 pays for most of the island counter installation so..... I'm ordering the doors with frame only and making my own mullions to overlay on top of the mirrored door.

It should lower the cost down to $200.

Am I crazy? Has anyone done mullions or muntins after the fact?

Комментарии: 25

• Meganmca

I haven't--but for $2000 I'd be willing to try, and if I failed, well, guess I could also live without them. Are you essentially planning a cross over the mirror? The trick will be the center joint & where they join to the cab, of course, you'll want to be extra perfect with your cuts. Not impossible, needs not-dull tools, that kind of thing. And a simple molding is cheap enough you can mess it up a few times & not be anywhere near $2000...wow those mullions must break often on the cab company if they're charging that much for them!

• cpartist

My first thought was someone has to make them so I looked.

Mullions1

Mullions2

• User

You need loads of specialty equipment and mad skills to make curved anything. Much less tiny little hard to handle muntins.

• beachem
    Автор

@cpartist. Thanks for the links. I'll talk to #2 and see what they charge.

@GreenDesigns. I absolutely agree about the equipment and skills. I'm talking to a custom molding shop who can do the curved mullions to spec so that I can glue it on top of the mirror inside the door.

@Megan. I was planning on this for my upper cabinets.

A Lake Home · Еще

However, I'll have to play with the design to accommodate what the molding can handle because of the end edges.

Worse comes to worse, we'll live with giant mirrored doors until we can afford to get the mullions years from now. I decided on mirrored doors to save $1000 with the frame only option. The mirror is free since I'm cannibalizing our closet doors. That saved another $1200 in mirror charges from a glass shop.

It's amazing what nice custom details I can get because I keep reducing things to the bare bones due to budget constraints.

• writersblock (9b/10a)

You might want to look into something like o'verlays. They specialize in overlays for ikea, but they do custom as well:

myoverlays.com

I expect there are other companies, too, but I don't know about them.

• beachem
    Автор

Oh that's a good idea. I forgot about overlays. I will check that out too.

• practigal

There's that place down in OC that sells all kinds of bent wood. A bevel on the top would be another matter...

• beachem
    Автор

@practigal is that the one with resin molding? I am talking to them. They are looking at blending a specific product for me.

• practigal
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Anderson International Trading Website... This is not about resin molding this is about bent wood

beachem поблагодарил(а): practigal
  • smm5525
  • mushcreek

Not particularly hard to make if you have the tools and know-how. I certainly don't see $2000 there. I could go out to my barn and make those, but then, I have more tools and know-how than average...

• cpartist

LOL. I may be calling on you mush creek. ;)

• beachem
    Автор

The other option is to buy a sheet of Mdf and use the jigsaw to cut the shape then paint. The cost would be $6.25. I was going to that and jazz up our French door.

@mushcreek. LoL I'm beginning to have a lot of tools but no know how.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Beachem:

In the "I-told-you-so" department, please abandon this idea.

• Troy Farwell

I've built a lot of cabinets. If I were going to make them, I would use some good quality cherry or alder, cut thin strips and glue them together around a frame to get the shape. Once dry, I would use a router to put a profile on them. This option would work for painted ones.

An alternative to get the look with much lower risk / skills needed would be to use stick-on lead tape. There are some nice quality ones. I've done a couple of mirrors with it, and it looks like leaded glass.

beachem поблагодарил(а): Troy Farwell
  • iroll

Here's how one blogger made similar mullions on a larger scale for French doors:

http://www.addicted2decorating.com/finished-sliding-barn-door-style-french-doors.html

beachem поблагодарил(а): iroll
  • beachem
    Автор

Thx Iroll. I was aware of that post and it inspired me to try and jazz up my French doors. I figured I can try the same thing for the cabinet doors. Since the cabinets are painted, Mdf would work well and does not involve wood bending.

• sunsoleil

Would flexible molding work?

http://www.flexiblemillwork.com

beachem поблагодарил(а): sunsoleil
  • PRO
    Mancuso Homes
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Beachem, did you ever find anyone to make your mullions? I am having the same situation on a kitchen I'm working on and have been searching for options. Any help/advice would be appreciated very much!

• bbrummett
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

If you still need these I can make them for you. I have a CNC router and make them all the time. Let me know? Ben.brummett@gmail.com

• Paula P Pap
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I think alot like you do ! that's absurd pricing, buy them on etsy or elsewhere, who cares if it's bent wood just for inserts I'd buy the plastic ones or mdf and spend the money elsewhere that's more valuable

• nhb22
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Paula P Pap - Where have you seen theses on Etsy. I am also looking for some grids for my bar. We ordered the doors with frame only. Thinking about having either glass or mirror made, but would like a metal or wood grill made.

Troy Farwell - Your idea of stick on lead taps sounds interesting. Where would I find such a product?

• kfx216

I just came across this as I'm looking for the mullions. I ordered the cabinet doors (4 of them) prepped for glass, then got the mirrors cut at Lowes (Home D doesn't cut glass or mirrors), which were $20 each. I had to order the clips on Amazon ($8). I'll antique the glass once I find the mullions. I have several emails out to Etsy vendors, O'verlays, and the Art for Everyday for the mullions, but size seems to be the problem, so I may buy a Harbor Freight jig saw and try my hand or find someone with a CNC router. I'd love a CNC router, but new house doesn't have a garage. Sigh! I think something simple like #S742 here https://walzcraft.com/product-category/accent-cabinet-doors/mullion-cabinet-doors/?fwp_paged=2 using MDF is doable. The challenge I think will be matching the color - hoping the antiqued mirror will deflect that a bit. Other thoughts welcome!

• PRO
    C & C Mullions
    Месяцев назад: 7
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 7

Our company has over 50 years in the millwork/cabinet industry - We have focused on custom mullions for 10+ years and sell them. You can find us on Etsy or our website www.CandCmullions.com or https://custommullions.etsy.com ... we have all 5 star reviews and ship within about 5-7 business days... If i can help anyone, hit me up on the website 'contact us' and I'll be happy to help! Marie

Sponsored