Houzz Logo Print
karenannev

Allkyd paint vs Chalk Paint/Kitchen Cabinets

karenannev
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

HELP! Refacing kitchen cabinets and am not sure if I should go with traditional painting of cabinets or try to Chalk Paint. I will be hiring someone to do the work for me and I truly want a smooth, custom/factory like finish. Any advice and experience with either method appreciated.

Traditional Latex Paint
Chalk Paint w/Wax Finish

Комментарии: 13

• User

You don't want either. You want a professional catalyzed varnish, sprayed in a clean room. Not some hack DIY fail. Expect to pay a professional what a professional's time is worth. Average would be 5-7K. More if it's a big kitchen, or has lots of details.

karenannev поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    Cabinets by Design LLC

If you have someone who is familiar with the chalk paint it can look really nice if applied properly. I would not want someone experimenting on my cabinets but if the chalk paint supplier can refer you to someone they know had done it before and you can see some of their work then it could be a nice option for you.

karenannev поблагодарил(а): Cabinets by Design LLC
  • karenannev
    Автор

Sophie, my painter said he was going to sand, degloss, paint with allkyd (?) paint...sprayed on because I don't want brush marks of course. What is a catalyzed varnish? Here is a picture of part of my kitchen...it's really nice and I don't want to screw it up, but it's very dark and depressing and want to brighten it up with creamy white cabinetry.

Cabinets by Design, I'm having someone come tomorrow to talk about using chalk paint. She has done a few kitchens and is bringing me samples. My husband is very leery of this method...he's not sure it will hold up. I'm very confused.

Thank you

• susanalanandwrigley

I know nothing about painting cabinets, but that looks like a lot of detail to paint!

• karenannev
    Автор

Sophie, thank you...I may have reversed the gloss/sand process? I'm still searching and think I found another company who's results (online anyway) look higher end than traditional painting. It's called Nhance...process is not explained in full online but it mentioned using a UV drying process? Here is the link. I thank you and value your opinion as a decorator. I feel like you know exactly the type of professional finish I am looking for. https://www.nhance.com/centraljersey/service/custom-finishes/

• Bev

From what I've read, chalk paint is not for painting kitchen cabinets but it is great for other furniture.

• Frankie

Chalk paint doesn't wear well on something you use often such as a kitchen. I would go with professionally resprayed cabinet paint. DIY never comes out write painting cabinets. Your contractor was right in the small part. You will end up with streaks and brush marks. It will look DIY.

• PRO
    Marie-Pierre Ayoul Decorative painting

What did you end up doing, karenannev?

• karenannev
    Автор
    I ended up going with a company called n-Hance. I believe they use an alkyd finish and everything was sprayed. I'm very happy with the result. I went with no glazing although that was an option
  • Rhonda Spindley
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Looks amazing!!

Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Beautiful. Was it an expensive venture if I may ask? I’m thinking of doing the same.

• User
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

@karenannev I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you are still happy with the results 3 years later. Looking into this company for my kitchen