Houzz Logo Print
nangle

New kitchen cabinets, need help with backsplash and paint!

Jon
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Hello home enthusiasts! My wife and I are 90% of the way through a kitchen renovation and need your help. We bought a small 1940's home (956 sq.ft.) last year which had a very old U-shaped kitchen and decided to renovate it ourselves. We hired out for an electrician and granite installers, but did the rest ourselves.

All that to say - we got in over our heads and need your expertise with some design decisions.

Below are some photos of the new kitchen, and here are the dilemmas:

1) What should we do for a backsplash? The square tiles are original and we know we want something else.

2) We love the cabinet style, but the color seems to look especially yellow with that wall and granite color. The cabinets to the left of the DW are Downsview cabinets we got from Craigslist, and to the right of the DW are IKEA cabinets that we painted and added molding to match the Downsview cabs. Would a wall color help it look less yellow, or do we need to re-paint the cabs?

3) Any other suggestions on how to make this look more cohesive? We do plan to update the flooring, but wanted to figure out backsplash and paint color first.

Комментарии: 12

• izeve

I think the white appliances are making the cabinets appear more yellow than they are in reality. Any chance that you could upgrade the dishwasher and fridge to stainless?

Also, try different lightbulbs to see if they would make a difference in how the colors appear.

• izeve

Is the countertop gray or does it have brown in it?

If gray, I would do a light gray tile for the backsplash with darker gray on the walls. Both grays should be warm, not cool.

What are you planning for the floor?

• Claudianne Young
    What color will your window treatments be? Do the cabinets from both places look yellow or just one set?
  • Jon
    Автор

The appliances are staying white, I don't want to "upgrade" to Stainless. Actually, the Samsung fridge is brand new. With such a small kitchen we opted for white appliances. We'll get to the oven eventually.

Here is a close-up of the countertop, its more gray than brown:

The gray backsplash or gray cabinets are both good ideas... and I do love white cabinets.

As far as the floors and window treatments, we haven't chosen anything yet. With everything so light-colored, we'll probably do a darker floor, maybe a wood-color (LVT planks, maybe?)

Both sets of cabinets have the yellow tinge because we painted the IKEA cabs to match the existing color.

• Irene Morresey
    Some ideas, smokey grey tiles, like the grey on the kitchen walls in pic. White appliances do make cabinets look a bit yellow. It may not be so obvious when you put in your darker floors and finish it all
  • Irene Morresey
    Nice Roman blinds, wild leaf fabric
  • PRO
    Design Intervention

I agree with the post about the "white" dishwasher making everything else look yellow. A warm neutral like SW Loggia will help bridge the gap between the cool gray in the stone and dishwasher and the warmth needed to accomodate the creme/yellowish of cabinets. With a color like that you could do any color accent that suits you. I would definitely NOT pick a basic subway tile as it will give a very flat look since you have no dominant pattern. a bit of pattern on the backsplash that does not conflict with the stone would be nice.

color of cabinets

• PRO
    Alexis Dietrich Designs
    Stainless steel appliances would make the cabinets look less yellow.
    Light gray ceramic backsplash (3x6 subway) would draw the countertops in more. I would grout the gray subway in a off white color so it blends the cabinets in. A medium to dark wood tile or laminate would instantly update the floor (and even though it's dark it would NOT make the space look small at all)
    I would also suggest painting the walls a light gray to really make it look like those two colors were the pallet of the rooms design.
  • jhmarie

Computers often don't give true colors, but in the pictures the cabinets look a bit yellower when the light it on - so I agree to play around with some different light bulbs. I like white appliances too.

I do not have painted cabinets, but I just got a new countertop and am working on a backsplash too. I have decided on the alabaster (cream) subway tiles. They are warm looking with my gray / cream / little bit beige quartz. They might not work with the cream of your cabinet, but if you want something simple, might work. I really like your wall paint in the daytime picture. A pretty roman shade over the window would be a nice touch.

I think a wood look floor wood be a good choice. I like the added warmth that wood adds to a painted kitchen.

• Barbara Almandarz

I recommend you find a flooring you like that goes with white (ish) cabinets; your countertops and white appliances. Always select the big ticket items first. You have fewer options. Your backsplash/paint/window treatments have the most options, so save those decision for last. I would paint the cabinets a cooler white color to better blend with your counters and appliances. Since you have a 1940's home, you may want to consider subway tiles for a more classic look. I'd go with white with a grayer/cool colored grout to blend with the cabinets. Nice job so far, good luck!

• PRO
    User

These photos are of backsplash ideas to help you with your dilemma.

Kitchen · Еще

Condo Renovation - Waterfront. · Еще

Modern Main Floor Renovation · Еще