Houzz Logo Print
dphish10

Good with floor plans??!! I need your help with a sectional!!

dphish10
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Hey everyone,

I am moving to a new house and I MUST take my sectional. It's awesome and I can't live without it. The new family room is a bit small and I'm FREAKING OUT that the couch won't fit. It's a standard sectional 3 seats x 2 seats (91" X 91") and I'm trying to fit it into the floor plan below. The room is wired for the TV to go along the wall without any windows (duh!). Anyone know if I can make this work? Or if not, can anyone suggest a floor plan that will allow for maximum seating and comfort for entertaining friends and family during sunday football? Thanks in advance!

Комментарии: 12

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

• Susan Davis

Drastic but remove the closet and continue the wall down so entry opening to room is where end of closet was. Possibly build a new closet to back up against laundry area OR purchase a closet type storage box from IKEA with fosted glass doors, for lightness in room. Or just put hooks on the wall area that backs up to laundry wall or a hanging hutch that is open and designed with a bench and seating.

Also realize that you can have the wall rewired by your cable company for the TV for a nominal cost.

• dphish10
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

It's new construction so removing the closet is a no go!! Also the suggestion above (in red) has the end of the sectional in front of the door in option 2 and no place for the TV in option 1 so I venture these are also a no go!?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

You didn't provide the dimension of the wall on the left, so just guessing it is not long enough to accommodate a 91" portion of a sectional. Don't see that there is any way for the room to accommodate this piece of furniture other than option 1 which will not work with your cable hook up.

• PRO
    Amethyst Interiors LLC
    I see one way you can do it if you are willing to break up the sectional into sofa and loveseat (3 and 2 seat pieces)?
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture

Orient the sectional toward the blank tv wall, but pull it away from the window on the left. Leave enough room in that corner for a small reading nook with chair under the windows and a side table. If there's not enough clearance between the end of the sectional and the closet, you're out of luck. By the way, if this is a new build, why wasn't the sectional planned for prior to construction?

• auntthelma

Put the TV in the corner by the laundry. Orient the sectional so one side is on the three-window wall and the other side is floating in the center of the room. Set up either a reading corner, as mentioned above, or a desk area in the corner by the one window wall.

• dphish10
    Автор

Corner idea is great, thanks! Not sure if that 3'4" wall will fit my 55" TV! But perhaps turning it on the corner will get me the space I need. RAPP - it is a rehab (total gut) so basically new construction but I bought the home after it had already been roughed in and floor plan was created. I got the chance to pick all the finishes (so much fun!) but none of the other elements.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture

Nobody was wrong, since there weren't enough dimensions for people to know how it would fit. If 3'-5" is enough for you to move around the sectional, you're good to go.

• Cheryl Smith

it looks like a great fit. I might suggest a sofa table or desk and a large plant in the corner behind the part of the sectional facing the entry

Portfolio of Work · Еще

2011 Street of Dreams ("con Amore") · Еще

My Houzz: Modern and Moody Nostalgia in Salt Lake City · Еще

• mmccarty2625
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

As dphish10 indicates, there's plenty of room along that 15',6" (that's 186") wall for a 91" sofa back. The "L" jutting out into the room would've been a problem on the wall with the doorway, but spaced 4-5 ft away from it shouldn't be, and, assuming that's the front door, creates a bit of an entry and a much cozier tv-sofa grouping anyway. With a lovely corner for a desk or small game table (for game-day noshes! Or a cocktail bar!). Win-win!