Houzz Logo Print
sheronbennett

Would you paint this wall unit?

sheronbennett
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I'm posting a picture of my old dark wood wall unit. I have just finished renovating the dining area of our new open plan extension. The wall unit was from the old dining room. It looks dated/doesn't go. Should I try painting it in something such as Annie Sloan or should I get rid of it and try to buy some kind of replacement? What would you do?

Wall Unit · Еще

Wall Unit · Еще

Комментарии: 18

• iheaton
    I do not think painting it will solve the problem. If I were you I would replace it with a light oak sideboard.
  • Chris Rowland
    I would have a go at painting with eggshell paint in a contemporary colour an adding some brush steel handles.
  • Tracy Sidaway
    I would replace it, the style of it doesn't really look like it'll take the up cycled look.
  • Lauren
    I would definitely paint but I'd also remove all the upper cupboard doors to make it a bit more balanced looking.
  • mrspreece
    My mum was very proud of her unit. In the 80's. Enough said.
    The rest of your dining room looks lovely btw!
  • User

Yes...a light grey, green or blue. Change the handles too and stick on mirrors behind where the glasses are stored (even better if you can light those glass cabinets as well. Considering all the effort it may take, might be better to buy something more modern?

• Daisy England
    Definitely buy something new. Even if you paint it, it's still old fashioned in comparison to your other furniture.
  • PRO
    Hora Interior Design

Hi,

Yes absolutly paint it. I'd advise a F&B matt paint and change the door handles to something more mid century or individual and fun.

• mrsmcee74
    I'd go with a good primer and an eggshell, I find chalk paint really difficult to work with. Also I'd update the handles and think it would give it a new lease of life.
  • Sandra Marshall

Think it ought to go. I love old furniture, but that just doesn't do it.

• gilliifer

Replace it with something that works in your space. If its nice wood, someone else will use it.

I've just replaced a lovely art deco sideboard which was just too big, for a more compact deco piece. Its hard to part with things but worth it.

• LouieT

Replace with one that matches the timber in your dining suite would be my preference. Think about the effort to repaint it & then it still may look dated after all due to the style.

• PRO
    Slingers

Its an eyesore at the moment doesnt match anything in the room.

Repaint using an Oil based primer ,then basecoat and finish with Colortrends B25 and B50 .I would go with an off white so it blends into the background walls.

The only thing that wouldnt work is the current handles.

Replace them with minimal brushed chrome handle that match the other door furniture in the room.

You,ll be very surprised at how modern it will look painted/sprayed.

• Midcenturylass

It depends if you like the actual structure and design - painting won't change the basic unit, just make it look nicer. I would have a go at painting the whole thing, perhaps using a different colour for the areas inside the glass cupboards and the bottom left cubby hole - or you could try using wallpaper for these areas. That would add interest and make it pop. Definitely change the handles too!

• PRO
    N J Kearns & Co Ltd

yes paint it and replace the handles, also pull it out from the corner.

At the moment, it is a hulking dark thing in the corner.

Pull it down as far as the end of the radiator and put a pretty chair with a cushion on it in the corner.

In that way it will line up with the dining table.

A soft muted colour would be best.

• PRO
    Abbeywood Furniture Ltd

If you like the unit why not paint it in a soft muted colour and change the handles to something more modern. https://www.abbeywoodfurniture.com

• PRO
    The Bulb Co

Yes like most people have said would agree with the painting option. Choose a nice light colour and as already mentioned updating the door handles could give it a whole new modern look. At the end of the day the worst that could happen is that you don't like it and then you can get rid of it but at least you have tried to give it a new lease of life! I can see you have some nice glassware stored in there at the moment so if you are planning to keep this in there why not think about adding some cabinet lighting to make the most of this and have it as a feature in your room as there are a number of cabinet lights you can look at to achieve this effect?

Something like this: http://www.thebulbco.com/led-interior-lighting/led-kitchen-lighting/endon-EL-10077-SET-kitchen-cabinet-strip-lights 

You can also get cabinets lights in a number of different colours too so you could match this up with the rest of your decor.