Houzz Logo Print
ediblekitchen

Living Room furniture placement - need help

ediblekitchen
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I am really struggling with the furniture placement of this living room. I got some help from a designer (option 1), but I don't like the sofa placed in front of the window and we would have to get a new (very large) coffee table to make this work.

Here are two photos of the space as it is currently - very bare. The plan is to paint the walls white and white wash the fireplace brick. We'll need to add artwork, window treatments and I have 2 leather arm chairs that we can add to the space. I'm also not sure what to do with the track lighting, but I thought I would figure that out after I determine the furniture placement. Also, don't pay attention to the view of the pink kitchen through the doorway in the 2nd photo, the kitchen will be remodeled.

The majority of the time the room will need to seat 4 to 6 people, but I'd like to be able to seat 8 people by pulling up an extra chair or so. I'd like the fireplace to be the focal point more so than the TV. But it would be good to have at least 2 comfortable spots to watch the occasional movie from. We won't be watching much TV and it's just the two of us, though we do plan to entertain quite a bit.

Here is furniture placement 1:

And here is furniture placement 2:

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome!

Комментарии: 16

• olychick

That's going to be a beautiful room! I much prefer #2, and the only comment I have is wondering the purpose/placement of the ottoman. Doesn't look like there is room to scoot it over for use with one the leather chairs and it blocks the walkway to the fireplace. Otherwise, it looks functional and doesn't block the window with the sofa.

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): olychick
  • User

I prefer arrangement 2, as well; however, I would rather see just a table with lamp to the left of the left side leather chair. The leather chair to the right of the fireplace could use a side table/ lamp. Not sure that the table with TV above needs a lamp, but a lamp (or 2) could be used on the table behind the sofa. Is there room for the second rattan table on the wall opposite the fireplace?

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): User
  • ediblekitchen
    Автор

Yes, you're right that ottoman is a little tight. Is there anywhere it can go if it's needed for seating in a pinch? Or should I put a cushion on the fireplace hearth and use that for overflow seating?

And thanks, Deliliah66, for the feedback about the lamps. Maybe putting table lamps instead of floor lamps will make it seem less busy. But I don't know what you mean when you ask if there's room for the second rattan table on the wall opposite the fireplace. Which table and which wall?

• ediblekitchen
    Автор

Yes, I like that idea of stashing one or two under the sofa table!

• ediblekitchen
    Автор

And this is my inspiration photo for the fireplace:

theyellowcapecod.com-white-washed-brick-fireplacetutorial

So I could keep a pillow there and use it for seating if needed.

• PRO
    Leslie May Designs

Between the two options, I would definitely go with option 2! Maybe you could also try putting the two Ratan chairs in the back corners so that you have less furniture to work with but they are still there in case you need them. Once you have fewer pieces you can really open in up and have the layout much more desirable.

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): Leslie May Designs
  • ediblekitchen
    Автор

Yes, another option is to only use one of my leather chairs and have an "everyday" arrangement and then pull up extra seating when necessary. So, this would seat 4-5. And then I'd pull up the extra rattan chair and the two ottomans to seat 8.

Or does it seem unbalanced having the larger leather chair and the smaller rattan chair flanking the fireplace?

• olychick

Love that fireplace pic! I think your arrangement would work, but realized you didn't show us the leather chairs. It might look more cohesive to use both the leather chairs on either side of the fireplace. Can you show us a picture of them?

• ediblekitchen
    Автор

Yes, good point. I don't have the chairs in the living room yet. So, this is not a great photo, but you can get the idea.

• olychick

Well, you'll have to see them in place and decide what you like, but even though I don't worship symmetry or mirror images, I think using the two leather chairs next to the fireplace would bring better balance to the room. I think the scale of the rattan chairs is too dissimilar to the leather one.

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): olychick
  • User

Sorry I meant rattan chair not rattan table. The wall opposite the fireplace is where the other rattan chair was placed in arrangement 2.

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): User
  • ediblekitchen
    Автор

Yeah, I think I need to move the leather chairs to the house and then try the arrangement. I think I'll end up liking the leather chairs on either side of the fireplace.

• MtnRdRedux

If Watching TV in this room is important to you, I think the second configuration is pretty poor for TV viewing other than for one or two people

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): MtnRdRedux
  • l pinkmountain

What Mtn. said. Also, having had a room this way, (sofa in front of window) I know that putting a sofa against a window does not block the window, unless you have some great desire to stand in front of it. You can sit on the sofa and look out the window, the light still comes in, and at night with blinds and/or drapes closed, it's just like a wall.

ediblekitchen поблагодарил(а): l pinkmountain
  • ediblekitchen
    Автор

I think it's ok to only have 2 comfortable places to sit and watch TV. We won't be watching much and won't even have cable. Actually we don't even have a TV yet. So until we get one, we'll just put a large piece of artwork on the wall where the tv will eventually go.

Sponsored