Houzz Logo Print
samiierea

Need help with my stairs

samiierea
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I want my stairs to look modern. I pretty much have a clean slate at the moment as nothing has been done to them . With the exception of the traditional banister and railing that was already installed before I bought the place.

I'm thinking about removing the railing and installing DIY cable railings. I want it look sleek and modern.

However, my dilemma is the actual staircase. I'm not sure what do do with it or what materials should I use. Should I stain, tile or use laminate wood flooring? Throughout the apartment is natural colours, whites, beige, drift wood grey and few espresso furnishings to come.

Комментарии: 7

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    Stairs will look modern when you replace the current railing with wire, I like the mix of wire with the wood
    samiierea поблагодарил(а): Brandi Nash Hicks
  • samiierea
    Автор

I'm changing the doors as well to white MDF trustile doors. I will go with a simple wooden post with cable railing. I'm thinking of staining the wood a grey driftwood...

• PRO
    Ultra-tec®

Wood stair railing replaced with modern cable railing.

• momjk

Only do this if fits rest of your home. Perhaps a metal railing with metal verticals? And a better job of fabricating the 180 at top of stairs.

samiierea поблагодарил(а): momjk
  • PRO
    DeMasseo Design
    Hi Samiierea,

Depending on your budget there are several options. If this is a long term home or short term might come into play, especially resale. Do you have young children as the cable wirring should be verified before installation from a safety standpoint. Glass panels, incased resin are just a couple of options that may be more cost effective and give you a more transitional look. Another option would be to simply paint a high gloss color on the railings and redo the face of the steps with a more modern/transitional material... Porcelain tile, glass, etc.
    samiierea поблагодарил(а): DeMasseo Design
  • PRO
    Beth H. :

Railings will look good. As for the treads, can you sand those down and stain? Can you replace the treads? Do not use a laminate. I would stay with the wood. Maybe get some white oak treads and do a weathered gray stain on them.

samiierea поблагодарил(а): Beth H. :