Houzz Logo Print
brad238

Help! Colour options for cabinets

brad238
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
I'm in the final stages of designing our new kitchen and I'm down to these two options below.

Partner says right door is too grey and prefers the left- I love grey.

Any ideas, thoughts if the left colour will work?

I have the flooring under and sample of the quartz in the second photo.

I'm trying to achieve a look from a photo on this site but not sure if I can attach it here for you to see!?

Комментарии: 40

• brad238
    Автор
    Ok, here's the look I'm after. Photo is from this site.
  • Laura Hoyland
    Love the grey! I have always wanted white for my kitchen but recently changed my opinion to pale grey. If I had a bigger kitchen I would go dark grey. I think it needs to be grey to achieve the look you want in the picture, cream will be too safe and bland imo. Good luck!!
  • Laura Hoyland
    Where are your doors from if you don't mind me asking?
  • Corinne Dive-Reclus
    May be you can compromise with partner by going with something with a more "satin" finish and a little bit of light green within your grey.
  • Lauren
    I like the grey much more than the cream. Stick with your gut!
  • Mairead Moloney
    Love the grey. I'm going for grey shaker (similar colour) with railings (farrow & ball colour) island
  • tamp75
    Personally I prefer the grey but your inspiration photo appears to be less grey than the one you've chosen. I actually think either will work with your flooring and probably with the Quartz too. Think about how the cabinets will work with the colour scheme in the rest of the house to help you come to a decision.
  • PRO
    Lynsey Jane Designs
    Hi there, I would suggest you go for the grey. Especially if you are using that dark grey on the walls which are behind your samples. This looks more contemporary.
    Saying that as someone commented above both would work and look great but the cream would be the safe option.
    What colour will be on the walls?
    If it is the charcoal then definitely go for the light grey cabinets.
    Good luck.
  • PRO
    Fine Cut Woodworks
    Stick to your gut and go for the grey.
  • brad238
    Автор
    Many thanks for all the comments. The walls will be painted in white and I've taken two additional photos that I will upload with a white back drop as the second colour comes up cream in the previous pictures but it is not cream when I look at the samples. Any suggestions really welcome- I think I am leaning more towards the 'mussel' colour now rather than the 'light grey'.
  • brad238
    Автор
    Mussel
  • brad238
    Автор
    Light grey
  • User
    Where are your doors from? Look great!
  • Sal Pigott
    Mussel mussel mussel! Going against grain here I know but I do think our love of grey will fade - I'm reaching saturation point with it. That mussel colour has many warm tones you could introduce with a feature wall revamp if you fancied a change in future. I've chosen a cashmere colour in our new kitchen for exactly this reason. "Cashmere & mussel" far better than cream ha! :P
  • brad238
    Автор
    Regarding the doors, we've gone via a local company so I'm not too sure where they source them. Back of the sample says 'The Foundation Range' if that helps.
  • charlie_bill

i like the mussel, it'w where i started months ago and then ended up towards F&B slipper stain and am now with F&B shaded white which to me looks like mussel! But now i don't have a mussel door to compare it against!

• katiz99
    The grey! So much more contemporary and goes with the worktop!
  • Juliet Docherty

The mussel colour is much warmer, but more versatile and lets be honest, grey is everywhere. Good luck.

• PRO
    Surreal Designs Kitchen Studio
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I like the grey myself but if you are at odds as to what to go for then maybe go for the mussel and introduce a grey colour perhaps on one of the walls. Alternatively if your kitchen design lends itself to having a second colour then why not use both? We often use 2 sometimes 3 colours in a kitchen even in some of our more traditional kitchens designs.

• PRO
    Period Property Store

Loving both shades but have a personal preference to grey especially with the lightness of the quartz worktop. Similar style to the kitchen pic below, although looks like the grey is slightly lighter.

Modern Country Kitchen in Shades of Grey · Еще

This has a combination of both grey and cream coloured units. Perhaps you could combine?

Cool and Contemporary Country Style Kitchen · Еще

• Chloe Friend
    I adore the grey, but if you want a colour, maybe a green grey? Look at the farrow and ball catalog, they have some gorgeous grey greens and some softer greys!
  • PRO
    User
    I like the right too
  • PRO
    Mazur Creative Studio
    The light grey gives you a much better contrast with the other finished you have picked.
  • JC
    I much prefer the mussel - looks warmer and more inviting. If you go grey i would pick a different shade
  • choppy39

Change it round ,,,If you like Mussel go for something like a Quartz Belgium Blue (it's grey with a tiny white fleck not blue) instead of the white to compliment the cream with a grey pigment door.....if you like the grey stick with the white top but have it in something like 20mm so it looks like icing on the darker doors. ........how about a compromise for you and your partner a grey green like "bone"?

• PRO
    User

Definitely grey with your wall colour, the other is too wishy washy! Love the wall colour BTW

• donlonc

I think the grey works best too. Can I ask what the floor is as I am looking for something similar for my kitchen.

• PRO
    Dub M
    I love the mussel too. We have a similar colour scheme chosen for our kitchen as part of a big renovation. We are having cashmere along side wall and the island is lava with a grey speckled Quartz work top. It looks like the same kitchen colours as yours actually. I'll post a pic! The two tone looks fab and I think will date well as is not too trendy. I'll watch with interest for your final choice as we also need to decide on colours for walls and haven't a clue!
  • brad238
    Автор
    Thanks for the comments Kara, I really like your pictures and colour choices. Good luck with it all and be sure to post some more pics
  • Lisa Burdett
    Mussel would be my choice, much nicer and warm. I think grey will have its day.
  • PRO
    Dub M
    Fab looks great. They're flat white metro tiles with white grout?v clean looking
  • Doe Stewart
    I have the exact grey of the doors you show and my floor is polyfloor, looks like whitewashed floor boards - sort of wish you washy white/grey if that makes sense. We have black granite work tops and up stands . We also were picking from cream and grey but decided to go with the grey in the end and it looks lovely
  • Caroline Hughes
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hi Brad, I love your kitchen! I have just ordered a similar kitchen - Mussell cupboards with a white marble effect worktop, and im getting the white Metro tiles also. Quick question, do you think that brass hardware - drawer pulls etc and tap - would work with this kitchen? Many thanks

• Jacqueline Horgan
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi,

We are in final stages of redevelopment of farmhouse. We have a solid wood, kitchen which we need to repaint and I like the mussel colour. It’s taken me ages to decide. I found blue lights to go above island that I adored and looked at blues but we have a black granite worktop and distressed wood floors (I don’t like pale blue, I like rich blues so felt too dark) I also love green although the lights I like in blue are not as nice in green and and other ones are mega expensive.
    So my main q is we have a large kitchen with island and small breakfast nook. There is only 1 large window into porch and back door. Walls are all white. Will all mussel kitchen work? Will green or blue work as accent colours? Also where can I get mussel cupboard paint from? Obviously I have seen colour in kitchen spot and here in this post but doors already come painted. I need paint that colour but have no idea where to get it from ?

• fionaoneill
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Mussel is like Shadow White Any good paintshop will do Shadow White Farrow & Ball 282. Shaded White also F&B is slightly darker than Mussel , but all look good. Thinking of going for this myself with Shaded White on kitchen

I am going for a Mussel kitchen with a counter top which is a very dark grey with a bright crackled effect going through it which complements the mussel beautifully. Don't know what color to paint walls, should I be going towards white or a neutral color.

• E D
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Why does this old post keep getting dragged up? 😁

• Marylee H

Maybe because it’s still relevant for many,,,,,

• karbarstar
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

What colour is mussel? I had decided today to go with it until I just put it upstairs and against the colour scheme I aim to use. It looks all wrong. Is it a green/grey? I think I need to go white now.