Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do fences increase property value?

Emily H
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Cor-Ten Cattails Sculptural Fence · Еще

What is your opinion? Do fences increase the value of a home? Would it make you pay more for a house if it had a new fence?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - Tell us below

Комментарии: 142

• User
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

• User

• Rebekah Jones
    I think it depend. We have one home with 2 acres in a very private setting. The back yard was partly fenced and made it difficult to access the rest of the backyard. We remove the fence. Our other house is in an urban area and we are happy that our small backyard is enclosed with high fencing and tall bushes.
  • 93cc
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Some fences might increase the value of a home, and others can decrease its value. Even those that do increase the value may be a bad investment. If a homeowner spends say $8,000 on a fence and a potential buyer is willing to pay an extra $5,000 for the property because of the fence, that's not a good way to make money. The reason for investing in a fence is because it has a purpose (security, child safety, manage animals, etc.), not because you're evaluating it as an investment.

• Debbie Thomas

I have 2 acres of property. My fence, just conduit run throw posts was enough to seperate my home from my neighbors. But when the children were young, that did not know my property from theirs. Prior owner of my house g ave them run of his property. I would come home, and find all the neighbors on my daughters swing set, which I would disapprove of. What if something happened to one of those kids while the parents are not watching?

• Jayne M

I have been a real estate appraiser for 20+ years and I say it depends. The best rule of thumb - no matter where you live- is look around your neighborhood. How many nearby homes / homes of the same age, style, price-range - have fences? What kind of fences; style, height, materials? The more common the items is, the more occupants were willing to spend what that item cost and the more likely your new buyers are to do the same. Whether it's horse fencing in a rural equestrian area or a 6ft high wood privacy fence on a tight suburban lot, if few other are doing it, you won't get much of a return. If nearly every home on the block has one, you will likely get your money back.

• Kathi Steele

We have a dog, German Shepherd that can easily jump a 6' fence, so no fences for us.

We also live on a retention pond and I love watching all the wildlife. We have to deal with a little goose poop, but gives the dog something to chase!

She is out with us only and on a 70' cable for lots of running back and forth!

I raised 2 boys in this house, and never felt the need for a fence. NO means NO!!!

• januarisun

jashumbert, I agree. There are too many variables to consider to give a blanket, yes or no answer. It's like asking if pools increase property value. It depends where it is. If you're in Juneau, it will decrease value. If you're in NJ, it will neither increase, nor decrease, but if you're in S. FL, it will increase value.

• misselthwaite

Fences add security. They also prevent other people's dogs from running into my yard and terrorizing my kids, or other people's kids from coming in and vandalizing our playsets. Finally, they can add a windbreak which would allow me to grow happier plants, retain more snow cover in winter, and keep other people's junk from blowing into my yard. I don't have a fence, but I really, really want one! :-)

• PRO
    Lauren Springer

Dogs in, deer out, but not solid (much more friendly with airspace and view in, and better in windy areas) has worked best for me. Cedar fences have lasted twenty years and up out here in Colorado. Here's my present gate and gals, a four year old fence, has grayed out nicely.

• sunny_robey

yes, with a qualifier. It has to be in good repair, suit the home and yard, and be classy!

• User

Do they increase property value? Depends on the house and the aesthetic of the fence. I've seen fences I'd want to rip out or replace, but even when I feel that a house for sale would be better with a fence, I don't consider that a budget-buster to do myself. It's not like needing a new kitchen or finishing an attic. I realize fences can be expensive, but they are also something that doesn't need to be done immediately. In general, too, I'd rather seen lovely landscaping to create borders and boundaries and blinds against ugly vistas than a fence.

• User

Just noticed above the viewpoint that "fences add security." In some places I've lived, fences made for insecurity, because they blocked off views that might have enabled neighbors to see thieves on property where they didn't belong. I've also lived in places where high bushes and walls created insecurity for people (women especially) walking on the street at night, because they provided hiding places for people up to no good.

I once lived on a suburban street where dozens and dozens of years ago, all the backyards opened into one common green. People gradually began putting in fences -- because they had dogs or swimming pools or to protect landscaping. The long-timers in the neighborhood lamented the loss of the communal space, where the kids could play away from traffic and the sociability. I am pretty sure they were right.

• jmstorms

I'm not sure if a fence increases a home value, but the lack of a fence decreased the appraised value of my home. Even cruddy CLF.

• januarisun

What's a CLF?

• jmstorms

Chain Link Fence

• Debbie Thomas

Before I purchased my home in the country, large, round steaks were dug into the ground, so many feet apart because before the house was built, this was pasture land. The farmers basically used these steaks to determine true property lines. Now I've lived in my home for about 33 year & all these steaks rotted out. Putting a fence up to distinguish that this is my property & that is your property basically puts value to the home. The fence that was put up exactly 6 inches off the property line, according to township rules. But of course, this is just another thing that needs weed wacked around to keep the property neat.

• gigiathome11
    Wouldn't consider a home that a fence couldn't be installed. Certainly adds value if it is maintained. Landscaping and using the fence as a backdrop works great! I have an acre+ and the options for creating outside rooms and streams are endless.
    GiGi
  • puppyandkitten

It depends on the location. Our postage stamp yard of 33x28', yes, a fence is important! On a half acre+ lot, only fence in the pool and dog runs. If you feel the need to delineate property lines at that size use trees/hedges/nature in some form (or maybe a classic barbed wire fence if you're on the prairies).

• lynnscott37

I agree with the So Cal lady. I came from So Cal and we live an indoor/outdoor life. Often our doors are open to the outdoor living area. Food is being carried in and out and our little kids are running in and out. We love our fences and walls. No one thinks it's odd. In fact when I left So Cal, it seemed weird to not have a definition to the property/yard. I think there are a lot of areas where people just don't leave their house and don't live an outdoor lifestyle. Mostly colder climates. Maybe that's why they have basements and rec rooms more. Something to do and be able to stay indoors.

• divecaribbean

I won't live in a community where you aren't allowed to have a fence, and there are many around where I live that don't allow fences, and I just don't understand it.

Where I live, only 4 1/2 foot fences are allowed. On 1/8 acre, that leaves little for privacy from neighbors. I had to plant a whole row of hedges so my neighbors kitchen window doesn't overlook my patio. It makes you feel as if you are on display. Fences make great neighbors.

Not only does it keep your kids and pets inside the yard, but it keeps others out. My dogs are too small to wear shock collars for an electric fence.

I would definitely love a place that was already fenced in, especially if it were a larger lot. Does it increase the value? Depends on what your potential buyer values, I suppose.

Also, realtors advertise a "fully fenced yard" because it's a huge draw for those with kids and dogs or for those simply wanting privacy. It's definitely a selling point.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse

The whole "right to quiet enjoyment of the view" written into many HOA CC&Rs regarding what one can and cannot put on their portion of exclusive use common area is ridiculous. They're basically saying that your neighbor has the right to quietly enjoy the view of your back patio and an unimpeded view into your sliding glass door (because you can't have a whole laundry list of things on your patio, view issues naturally...). Makes a person occasionally contemplate becoming a nudist and ditching their blinds/curtains.

• hidesertkath

I actually appreciate our HOA rules and regs. If we didn't have them, I can guarantee we would have neighbors who would think nothing of putting CLF instead of wrought iron and wood or plastic fences instead of slumpstone block walls. To each their own and for anyone who doesn't want the HOA rules, they should never buy into this type of community.

• Cynthia Wingate

I have currently been looking for ideas for a privacy fence for our side yard, I think if the style matches the style of the existing structure of the home it can look great. Plants and lighting can be added and I will feel more secure in the evening if I know those driving by cannot see me lounging on my hammock. I have the hammock and some wonderful copper tiki torches - all I need is he fence!

• User

hideserkath, an HOA isn't for everyone, but they can be good when they work right. When they don't they're a nightmare. We came from the most ineffectual H.O.A. on earth recently and I won't buy into one again. They were very good at collecting dues , they weren't good about using them to upkeep the neighborhood however. We moved in when the neighborhood was built and in 12 yrs watched it fall apart from lack of care. I'm glad you live in one that is doing their job for you.

• PRO
    Aspen Falls Landscape & Construction

Yes, If it was done right!

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse

My HOA won't allow anyone to build a fence around their patio, that is, won't allow anyone not the owner who has the sole fence around a patio in the entire community. They won't even give people the application for an architectural variance to submit to the board. When asked why he is allowed his fence, the response is that he made their lives miserable until they changed the rule about fences, he built his, and then they changed it back. Not everyone wants to be a colossal jerk to their neighbors (the board is all volunteer homeowners living in the community) or willing to take it to court since legal costs and any judgment the court orders are paid for by everyone's dues!

• Lynn Pieczarka

Like anything else, it will depend on the buyer. For me, a fenced in yard is a plus because I have dogs. For someone who doesn't have that need, they might consider it neutral from a value standpoint, or a negative if they perceive it as something they have to maintain.

• User

If you've been following the other thread, about the woman with the neighbor's dogs using her yard as their bathroom. You would say yes. They are encroaching on her yard in other ways as well and she is worried that it will become an issue should she ever try to sell. Such as building and planting on her property because there is no clear line. Fences declare this is the property line too. In that way they are valuable in many areas.

• tooky58

I would not like to live somewhere where my backyard was open to everyone. That would keep me from living in that area.

• Glenna Nelson

You can see our see-through fence in the back of picture, we have dogs and 5 acres, so we wanted something we could see all the great vege
    tation behind it. We are very private with lots of trees behind the house. I love the fence, it extends the visual of the yard and trees beyond.

• mjkjrobinson
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I like the cool fence at the beginning of this poll page! It's so groovy! I have always liked steel or wrought iron, so classy!

• PRO
    The Contemporary Fencing Company

Hi, I am sure that adding quality fence will add value to a property, but I suppose it depends on the fencing you install. We supply a lot of Cedar fencing to property developers who are building new houses, they invest in better quality fencing because it has such a big visual impact on the how the finished project looks. We also sell a lot of fencing to people who have recently extended their properties and want to give the garden a lift. I think the investment is recouped and the property is easier to sell. So well worth the investment!

• Peggy Tupper
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

IMO some fences subtract from property values. I have seen houses (not where I live) with rusty chain link fences around their front yards. It makes the whole street look run down. CLF is fine for dog enclosures in the back yard or for other uses but not in the front yard and not the rusty kind.

• wrightidea

Like one of the other commenters we have acerage and have fenced a smaller space adjacent to the house to keep the dog in and the deer out. After a great deal of looking we decided upon wooden posts and rails enclosed with black, vinyl- coated chain link. Those of you making negative comments about CLF should open your minds a bit. This fence is attractive, has been copied by one neighbor, and added to the fence builders portfolio. He says it gets a lot of interest. By the way I first saw this fence used as a pool surround in what was clearly an upscale neighborhood. And where did I see it? Houzz's of course. P.S. It makes a great trellis.

• divecaribbean

You don't have to live in an HOA to have a nice neighborhood that is pleasing to the eye. There are still ordinances in areas where zoning laws apply and those communities don't allow things such as chain link fences, street parking without a permit, statues on lawns, etc. and there are still fence heights, fence material and setbacks regulated under local ordinances, as well as rules related to how long you can keep your garbage can at the curb AFTER trash pick up is complete, etc. So it's not a matter of whether you have to choose between an HOA or not, it's choosing to live in an area with zoning laws in place.

• D C

I fenced in a small part of my side yard with a white vinyl picket and added an arbor and a gate. Nicely delineates that side from my neighbor and their driveway which extends up that side of their house to the back. Also keeps me from seeing their mounting junk pile. I have a nice sitting area out there surrounded by perennials that leads back to my patio. I ceratinly think it won't hurt the value of my home.

Side Yard · Еще

I've had estimates to extend it the entire length of the property (appx an additional 140 feet) on that side due to their roaming dogs and it really isn't that expensive. I just wonder what the overall look to the entire street will be because no one else has fences. we are all on 1-2 acres of open yards. Except for one house with a pool. Their dogs only come into our yard because it was just an empty space for so long. Lucky me.

• PRO
    SolusLumber.com

Depends on the neighbor! Prefer living fences......

• Emma Cornette

@D C

I think the fence and the arbour look amazing. I don’t think this would really matter if others in your surrounding do or don’t have a fence. You can further enhance the curb appeal by planting shrubs along it.

• D C

@Emma -

Thanks! That picture was from 2016. The entire area is landscaped now and I love it! This is a picture from early 2017, the landscaping has matured nicely now.

Side Yard · Еще

• acroteria

Depends on the fence, whether or not it was installed correctly; how it has been maintained. Natural wood may or may not increase value of home. Wrought iron definitely increases value. Extruded aluminum probably would increase value. Chain link or PVC would definitely decrease value (though upper-working class people like PVC and would pay more for it).

• acroteria

Depends on the fence, whether or not it was installed correctly; how it has been maintained. Natural wood may or may not increase value of home. Wrought iron definitely increases value. Extruded aluminum probably would increase value. Chain link or PVC would definitely decrease value (though upper-working class people like PVC and would pay more for it).

• 93cc

Wrought iron fencing/gate can be a costly headache if along the coastline where a salt environment becomes a factor. If not highly maintained, it will rust and pit. An investment should be measured by both the initial capital cost and maintenance/repair costs when comparing to whether you ended up with more money than not. There may be reasons for doing fencing beyond achieving a satisfactory investment return, but I'm not persuaded at all that this is a good investment and "definitely increases value".

• Kim Jorgensen
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Backyard, definitely! I don't want my neighbor's dogs using my yard as their toilet, don't want them harassing my chickens, and I don't want my neighbor's kids around my pond. Front yard - with loose dogs in the neighborhood, I don't want them digging in my front yard either. As for adding value, chainlink is ugly (and just as expensive as wood once you price in all the pieces and allow for more time to put it all together). Wood can be artistic and it doesn't need to be high. Wrought iron is the same, but too pricy for me. Wood lasts just fine if you put the posts in brackets and paint or stain it. My front yard fence is more than 30 years old and I am only now having to replace some of the boards and the cap in some places.

• Karen Masterjohn

Fence the backyard with a chain link so you can see the lay of the land, the horizon and/ or have a sight line. Wood fences even if they're stained and finished, look so bad in 3 or 4 years. I'd much rather look at blackberry bushes or the neighbors garbage than an old black stained fence.

I'd never fence the front yard unless maybe it's on an arterial. To me a fence would lower the property value.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects

Would have to say yes and will repeat the old adage - Good fences make good neighbors!

• Danny Badger

It depends on the fence. White PVC fences dramatically reduce the beauty and value of a property for me. Neighborhoods littered with them, seem cold, sterile and wannabe. That said, a thoughtful fence that adds to the vibe of the land while adding functionality, can definitely add value.

• Kathi Steele

I still say to each his own. I have never had a fence, nor would I ever.

My dog, when she goes out, goes out with us. And she is on a run leader that is ~ 70' long....we have a wide property!! We go out and do yard work, play, etc and I don't have to worry about her.

I have no fence to maintain and I like that I live on a pond and the fence does not block my view. Last night we had a fox run thru the yard!!

• 93cc

Walling off property to keep people out - that's a novel idea.

• Margo M
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I put in over 450 feet of cedar privacy fence. One neighbor thinks it’s just fine to trespass and disturb things on my property. I’m working on getting photos. But yesterday I put up a gate as well. Done with nosy rude neighbors and punks trying to break in. It deters some wildlife, too. ( Not all)
    Worth every penny. Increased privacy, security, and provided a nice backdrop to landscaping. I put it up so I benefit from it.
    Don’t consider just resale. It’s about the benefits it brings you.