Houzz Logo Print
loveday814

Do we need a shower door?

loveday814
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hi all,

This is my first post on Houzz. We just finished the tiles in our master bath shower and are about to order frameless shower glass for it. Here is a picture of our shower (the bathroom still needs more work painting the wall etc.).

The total width is 70" and the pony wall is 40 3/8" wide. We're debating if we should just get a fixed panel on the pony wall or get both the fixed panel and a door. Can you please give us some advises or comments?

Thank you.

Комментарии: 24

• hnhouser

I know nothing about this except that I'd be darn cold without a door.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): hnhouser
  • leela4

What are the other dimensions of the shower space?

• millworkman

If you wanted no door the shower should have been reversed, now the way it is setup in my opinion you definitely need a door.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): millworkman
  • kitandkaboodle

milworkman, can you please elaborate on why a door is needed with this setup ? I don't understand

• loveday814
    Автор

Other dimensions: the depth is 36 inches, and the pony wall is 5 inches in depth. since we are gonna install the glass in the center of the wall, so 3 inches should be taken out from the depth. The ceiling is about 8 feet high.

• PRO
    Hudson Smith Interiors

I don't believe you "need" a door in this space. You should have plenty of clearance to shower there without splashing, etc, into the bathroom. But many people find the lack of door uncomfortable, exposed, and cold. Once your plumbing is finished you can test out how you feel about this by hanging a clear vinyl shower curtain on a tension rod (so it's temporary). Try showering with it only half-way closed, and see if you like it or not. Hth!

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): Hudson Smith Interiors
  • Jay Dub

I disagree with the shower needing to be reversed for that to work. The highest amount of splashing comes from the point where the shower spray hits your body. In this setup, that will be directly behind the pony wall and the glass partition. If you reversed the shower direction, your body would be directly in front of the door opening, and water would going absolutely everywhere onto the floor.

Good advice from Hudson Smith. Only way to know for sure is to test it out.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): Jay Dub
  • kudzu9

You may get a little water on the floor from splashing without a door, but I doubt it would be a big deal. We have a doorless shower in our masterbath and don't see the occasional splash as a problem, nor are we cold from not having an enclosed space...but you might feel differently. One option is to install the glass on the pony wall area in a way that would make it easy to add a door at a later point without having to modify anything. That might mean nothing more than bringing the glass flush with the end of the pony wall, so that there would be no gap if you put in a door later.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): kudzu9
  • User

I think you may need one. Water probably would go everywhere, and it would be cold.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): User
  • sjhockeyfan325

I'd be freezing in that shower without a door, but I don't think splashing will be a big problem (some, but not a lot). We had a doorless shower in our previous home, and when we remodeled put in a door - great decision for us.

loveday814 поблагодарил(а): sjhockeyfan325
  • kitandkaboodle

I don't have first hand experience, but I think if the type of shower head shown above the water is used the water is directed straight down toward the drain and there would be less splash.

• kitandkaboodle

opps the photo i copied from homedepot.com didn't get attached. i'll try again with a houzz photo.

Willow · Еще

• millworkman

I don't know in my opinion unless you stand almost directly under the shower head the water will be hitting you and the floor almost at the opening. Not only that but if you put a fixed pc of glass on the pony wall you need to go all the way into the shower to turn it on (and under the shower head)...........................

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

You don't need to get the door right away. You can wait and see if there is too much splashing before you decide to either need or don't need the door.

• Bunny

Without a door it could get cold. I wouldn't want water getting outside the shower area. But most of all, as millworkman pointed out, you have to be inside the shower to turn it on and adjust the temp. Eeek.

• Jay Dub

@kudzu9 Hahaha. Sounds about right. That's par for the course for asking questions on houzz. It's a very mixed audience here. If you want more consistent answers from professionals, I'd seek out other forums.

• LE

You'll get a lot of speculation from people based on their experience and preferences. But did any of the people who said you would be cold ask where you lived? Maybe you are in Bora Bora or maybe you are in the Arctic. Maybe your house is drafty and maybe it's tight and you keep it at 75 degrees. Free advice is worth what you pay for it right?

We have a doorless shower and it is not cold or drafty. The house is new, well insulated and has warm floors. Also the bathroom itself is not large. The splashing is minimal and we put a tub mat at the entry to the shower to step out on anyway so we don't get the rest of the floor wet. All of that or none of that may apply to you. (But I did see some great advice here that I took, which is to have the controls at the door and opposite the shower head.)

• User

It looks unfinished to me. I'd put glass on the LH side on the railing up to the ceiling.

• MongoCT

I'd recommend a glass panel on top of the pony wall but no door for now. If you hire a glass company for the installation, tell them that you might want to add a door in the future, say 4-6 months down the road. They'll be able to set you up so your potential glass door will match the pony wall glass.

• rockybird

I dont think you will need a door. You might want a glass panel on the pony wall if it splashes out. My previous place had two showers set up like yours with no door. The only real difference was that where the pony wall is, there was a panel of floor to ceiling glass. I never got cold in the shower. The disadvantage with the pony wall glass will be that you have to reach into the shower, getting wet, when turning it on.

• sjhockeyfan325

I am staying at a hotel in steamy New Orleans right now, and the shower is only partially enclosed and I still get cold when the water is at my back. When I had no door on my shower in my previous home,. It was in a mild climate. I just prefer a door and the weather outside doesn't matter.

• LE
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

For anyone reading this in the future in advance of building the room this far, I recommend considering that people have really different reactions to the door/no door situation, and you may change your mind. We didn't install a door, but we did put the framing in for one behind the tile "just in case."

• Griesel J
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

I'm late to this party but am responding in the event it helps others. I have almost the identical set up described above other than I don't have a pony wall. Instead, I have an 86"x 42" glass shower panel that runs up from the floor. The other thing I did differently is although the shower head is in the same location, the diverter (I also have a hand shower) to turn it on is on the opposite wall (where I enter the shower so that I do not get wet). I kept the option to install a shower door in the future but so far it has not been an issue (I live in Santa Barbara). I do keep a mat outside the shower area which works perfectly. I love my setup.

Sponsored