Houzz Logo Print
figureskating22

What should I do in this awkward space?

figureskating22
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
I have a short space above my daughters closet and I am going out of my mind trying to see what works!
The detentions or 4' tall and 9' across. It has two angled places so if you have any ideas tell me.

Комментарии: 37

• Crystal Dionysopoulos
    What does the rest of the room look like?
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    It has 2 purple walls and two aqua. And a lilacish purple plaid bedding.
  • annchinook
    Add some x-large beautiful baskets or boxes to store seldom used or seasonal items, you could also add some crown moulding to the top of the closet to give it a finished look. I would put a built in cabinet there but it looks as if there is a return air vent that should not be covered...baskets would be best to allow for air flow.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Thanks I will try that!
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    A point of interest, would be to paint your closet bump out a secondary color to set it apart from the main wall color. Add doll house with car, accessories to spread it out; or add doll collection perched on multi levels; suspend 3 colorful objects from ceiling; add rope lighting to illuminate objects.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    Frame straight across flush with the existing wall to make a soffit over the door. Pull the duct forward. Put doors on the enclosed space so you can use it for storage.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    Looks like your vent is installed upside down. You shouldn't be able to see into vent from the floor. Fins should be sending air up for convectional heating..not down.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Thanks beautiful home good point on the dust I never thought about that. I will take it all into consideration!
  • printesa
  • PRO
    The L.A. Lady
    Very cute! I agree with the ladder. Kids love small spaces like that and as long as it's properly supported beneath that space, it would make a great fort!
  • AMN
    Make it a fun kids' space, or ignore it.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Thanks every one! I told my daughter about making it a nook and she was soooo happy! It is supported fine and a ladder will fit perfectly!
  • decoenthusiaste
    These are fun concepts, especially for sleepovers. The ship could become a Rapunzel-style castle turret. If she will soon be a teen #4 as a study area upstairs might be smart.
    Kids Bedroom · Еще

Menlo Park Fantasy Girls' Playroom with Custom Loft Bed · Еще
    Champlains's Bluff · Еще

Bedrooms · Еще
  • PRO
    Osirius Designs
    Paint the back wall white and add some coloured blue and purple glass bottles and put some lighting at back of ledge to warm up and brighten area in evening?;^)
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Cute idea!
  • Christine W
    That is an annoying plant ledge found in a lot of houses. Builders think that many folks like putting fake flowers up to gather dust. Depending on how old your kids are you could use it to put a collection of dolls dressed in the colors of the room. You could also make it an overflow bookcase area and just buld in shelves that wrap the wall and then put up old books they have and like and then wrap them in white butchers paper. You could put a night light up there too and line the wall with fake library paper.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Yes the space is a pain in the butt! I believe that that is where her old books will go! She is 7 if it helps!
  • PRO
    MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
    big stuffed animals. don't cover the vent!
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    I won't cover the vent and she is not a stuffed animal person she has 5 that are her favorites! My 5 year old would love that! Lol
  • PRO
    MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
    i live in the southwest where these "pot shelves" are popular...whatever goes up there becomes a dust collector....what about some rattan storage pieces....kill two birds with one stone!
    i am an artist...i always hang paintings in odd places...i'd jump on that spot!!
    actually, i'd get an artist to paint a big splash of white over that teal...just to give some interest without collecting dust.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Thank. Everyone on houzz is so helpful!
  • Julia Douglas
    I like the idea of baskets used for storage. I would be a great place to store some of her favorite toys for future grandchildren, seasonal clothing, etc. It could easily be hidden behind a corresponding curtain/draped fabric if things get to busy (look messy) above the door. A cute nook would be wonderful but the ladder would interfere with opening the closet door and/or cut into entry door space. A railing would be necessary to prevent falls and I would ask myself if there is enough room for her and at least 2 of her friends. I am a grandmother to 4 granddaughters and mother of 2 boys. I wouldn't want anybody getting hurt.
  • papasbride
    Go with storage if you need it. My first thought was "secret garden" painted on back wall, with just a few real things (basket, antique baby buggy, rattan trunks) in the fore-front. Less to dust.
  • libradesigneye
    You can even, as she gets to be a teen, put a platform bed at the level just above the closet below and the nook can be her bedside table. You can design the outside of the platform to be something cool like the floating boat or just let it be a loft bed.
  • anzella
    hi sorry i am not helping with the post but i love the colours of the paints! do you know what they are called? :)
  • apriltini
    The owl lamps are fantastic! Where'd you find them? Your daughter's room looks great. I wish I could do that to MY room, but my husband would probably have a coronary if I even suggested it.
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    The lamps r a homegoods find and I will look up the colors.
  • bwashington
    I agree with other writer in space. I would extend the top of the closet by connecting it to the side of the closet. I would get someone who does this type of work and make it just as wide extending outward. I would include a ladder that is attached to the ledge. There would be side rails on both sides should your child loose his/her balance there are sides. Although it has never be done prehapes I would have a belt attached that your child could put around his/her waste. when they want to climb up. Have it attached to something with one of those cheap alarm you find in dollar store. Explain to your child he/she is not to climb up the ladder unless an adult is home. That way if the belt is removed from placement you can hear it.

Now for the fun. Collect books on children spaces. On a weekend day, call the child and you gather some where that is comfortable and design the room together. Frankly, I don't like the paint color of the room. On that ledge I can see a small cushion that's number one, pillows(if your child has a theme in mind find pillows that will match the them or if you can sew them you make the form and let your chid stuff the pillows. Find pictures to hang on the side wall or put shelves with storage bins to hold toys, books or whatever they like (the two side walls after you have the top exteded over. The back wall under the vent is where I would put a large pillow to match the cushion on the bottom and several small pillows to match the them. If the grat is upside down fix that as well. You know they make some grats with screens on them. That way you wouldn't have to worry about bugs being up there. That funny looking rectangle with the wood I would put stars (glo) up there but I would paint it out first in black. I would somewho see how maybe a battery operated or two of those round lights could be placed to help your child see at night. If you think it would be safe to put a low rail up, I would do that also. I would put the rail to extend from the left to the right leaving enough room for your child to get on the ledge without it being to small of an opening.

Maybe an arrow pointing up or some word on the side of the closet door that refer to the space above.
    I suggest you working with your child because it is a time to bond, the child will feel proud he/she had a part in designing the space and he/she will love you even more because even though the room is their room they have a private space within there room. Remember when we were children we would go to our small spaces. I had a large box turned on the side. I lived on a plantation and there was no room in a house of eight to go anywhere other than the outdoors toilet and that wasn't wise to go there.

I hope this helped.

Good Luck!
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    Yes she and me made her room together!
  • figureskating22
    Автор
    She picked the color and it looks great to her. I am making it a nook.
  • brookejp
    I have the same exact problem. I think I am gonna go with the ladder and railing idea to make a little hang out nook. A bunch of stuffed animals WILL just collect dust.
  • jgomosfrontiercom
    we started a farm scene on ours (in the Living room- over the steps to the basement ) and I have had fun buying "stuff" to add to the scene.. when down sizing comes I'll part with it saddly
  • Betty Zinn
    If wide enough, a wide picket fence and ladder for an extra sleep space or reading nook
  • Gretchen Maurer
    I have a similar space. I bought paper covered boxes that i stack up in a pretty way. some are empty and some have mementoes....dust free and cheap
  • calkelley
    actually there is a picture of a spiral ladder in one of the rooms. I like that
  • karelina
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    If it isn't, you might paint the vent the same color as the wall, so it disappears.