Houzz Logo Print
melwill13

Need help adding dimension to the front of my house.

Mel Will
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Комментарии: 28

• Diane Land

Could you be more specific? Do you want to bump out the front or are you meaning landscaping issues? At least one of those trees is going to need to come down.....

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): Diane Land
  • Mel Will
    Автор

Yes bump it out so it does not look so flat

• Rusty Empire

Agree with DL. Remove the central tree pictured. Rather than your "bump out" why not create a largish paver patio area that curves through the trees. Without seeing the whole yard here as well as the driveway, this new paver area could integrate with the drive in via a wide walkway. Not a cheap upgrade but def. less expensive than structural changes to the building envelope. If you are doing this to add more square feet specifically I would add onto the house in an area that perhaps makes more sense for adding real estate value (i.e. larger kitchen, another bedroom etc.)

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): Rusty Empire
  • Mel Will
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

So keep the front flat?

• Mel Will
    Автор

Here is the kitchen- I will be updating it too

• Rusty Empire

What do you need to achieve here? Cosmetic upgrades worth a fortune? Or smart money upgrades (aka that kitchen). If you have bags of cash burning a hole in your pocket there's no stopping you. But at the end of the day if your upgrades don't equal equity gained in your real estate there's something wrong with this picture.

• sandradclark

You put the kitchen on another thread, right? I would love to see a better photo taken closer of the front of your house. I think you have a gem in the rough. How much money do you plan to spend on the house? (Don't answer this question). I just would like to know how much leeway you have due to the other homes in your neighborhood.

• sandradclark

I'm asking the same thing basically that Rusty Empire just asked.

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): sandradclark
  • Mel Will
    Автор

Rusty that is true. Was hoping to add some curb appeal to make it marketable once I decide to move. Yes the kitchen is on the list too. Thought about opening it up into the formal dining room (first picture). Maybe removing that wall behind the sofa??

• Mel Will
    Автор

Yes- I added the pics since he mentioned upgrading a kitchen- that is on my list to do first. I just bought it and am banging my head on the wall trying to come up with ideas.

• sandradclark

I think you could have a great looking MCM home with some changes. When was it built & where are you located?

• sandradclark

This looks like a wonderful candidate for Chip & Joanna Gaines on Fixer Upper.

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): sandradclark
  • User

Examine that budget and how many DIY skills that you might have while you are making a prioity list. The important bits to work on first aren't the exciting ones. The roof, HVAC, electrical panel, water service, and lot drainage are FAR more important than wasting money on a non needed cosmetic remuddle of quite a nice example of a mid century ranch. Take care of structural elements first. Then the kitchen or bath. You just spent 75K. Easily.

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): User
  • Mel Will
    Автор

sandradclark that is what I thought - about Fixer Upper! It was built in 1978. In Pensacola, FL. I have spent hours and hours researching ideas. Thank you Mr_asmith, I will definitely try that!!

• mr_asmith

Modern colors and landscaping do wonders.You have a beautiful home already. Good luck!!

• Mel Will
    Автор

Thank you!! I have to update the master bath as well.

• er612

Your house is amazing! Focus on the interior for now. What rooms are behind the fridge and stove?

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): er612
  • Rusty Empire

I would have had that fake wood paneling off with a prybar before the first weekend was over! But I'm impatient. Prioritize projects and be patient with the remodeling process. If it's your first home pick one project at a time or it will overwhelm you easily. And develop you idea books with some inspiration going forward. It will help.

• Mel Will
    Автор

er612 a laundry room is behind the stove, and the formal living room is behind the fridge (I thought about closing it off and creating an office with double doors). Through the door of the laundry room is a 3rd bathroom (1/2 bath)

• Mel Will
    Автор

Rusty- yep I want that gone for sure! I have to rip up all of the carpet -it is the original. I just think the cabinets that are hanging down from the ceiling should probably come down to open it up?

• happyleg

A very nice house, up close not so dark. White windows get dirty fast. My OCD! I like dark better. If want do tan or redwood. Or hunter green.

Mel Will поблагодарил(а): happyleg
  • Mel Will
    Автор

Here are some other views

• happyleg

Nice bushes! I didn't see these in front.

• Mel Will
    Автор

no none in the front. The back yard is filled with them.

• PRO
    N.E.A. Construction - Architects & Master Builders
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

HI Mel, We were just perusing the conversation here. If you like, we'd be happy to design the renovations for you. We can provide hand sketches, computer renderings and architectural drawings. We don't know what your location is but if you're in the NYC metropolitan area we could do the work for you. Hope to hear from you! N.E.A. CONSTRUCTION

• felizlady
    I would start by removing any large branches which reach over the house....the trees are old and huge, and falling branches could severely damage the home and injure residents.
  • happyleg

Updates? How is it going?