Houzz Logo Print
missphotography

Need help with decorating my living room

Sam
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hey, We've just moved into a new rental apartment. I need suggestions/ help on how to decorate the place and make it more homely. So far we have a grey couch, glass-top white coffee table & white TV unit. It is a combined dining and lounge. The dining table chair are white leather and the table is glass top. What colours would work? I feel like there is a lot of white & grey. What other colours can I introduce? I'm thinking to buy a rug & cushions.

Комментарии: 41

• dohraime

Here's some photos with grey sofas for some inspiration.

• Sam
    Автор

Thank you for the suggestions. I decided to go with an orange and blue colour scheme for the decor.

Something like this -

I picked up this rug over the weekend. The rug is quite big so it's actually wider than the sofa.

Do I need to centre the sofa, TV and coffee table with the rug?

How can I style the coffee table? I will be removing the coffee table cover - it's just there in the mean time.

Thank you once again for your help & suggestions! :)

• dohraime
    Great choice of colours. There's so many hues of blue and orange that work well together.

The rug has already helped define the living area. I would try centre the sofa and bring it out from the wall a bit. See how that looks. Do you still have lamp in the far corner?

Your coffee table looks about right distance from sofa. You wouldn't want to go more the half a metre.

Hopefully other "houzzers" will give further suggestions on styling for you.
  • User

Don't overdo objects on your coffee table. I see you have cream in that cushion, don't use any more, as your white furniture is very "modern". Getting back to objects, keep them practical. Maybe a tray, something attractive to read, and another item of your choice. Groups of odd numbers work best, preferably three, you don't want clutter.

Sam поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    Dylan Fox Photography

The finishing touch is artwork! Also a great way to bring the outdoors in, and add a splash of colour!

www.dylanfox.com.au

• User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

What do you think of this one Dylan ;)

http://www.wikiart.org/en/winslow-homer/fox-hunt

• User

I agree that many of Dylan's great photos have the blue and orange you are seeking. Just stunning.

• LesleyH
    Make sure it is art you love not just colours that go with the tones you have chosen.
  • User

That's why I start with art, rug or expensive existing curtains. I take my colours from one of those.

• PRO
    T W F I N E A R T

Hi, why not carry some of those colours into some fantastic artwork for the room? These two contemporary limited edition prints by Greg MacLaughlin are very affordable. Each is available in a variety of sizes and compliment the beautiful tones introduced through the cushions while keeping with the more geometric/hard line elements of the rugs, table and sofa. There are many more options on our website and we'd be happy to help you curate a selection perfect for the room.

• Sam
    Автор

Since this is a rental, we can't hang anything on the wall :( Don't really know how I can hang artworks on the wall without nails. So sadly the walls have to be bare which is bothering me so much!

• farsideb

There are plenty of ways to hang things on walls without nails,that won't ruin walls or paintwork. Drop into a large hardware store and have a look.

• User

Weigh your items, write it down and take it with you. I've used two maximum weight Commander hooks for one mirror when renting. Anything with glass or mounted on thick wood will weigh more.

• KK1000
    Add just orange colour and stick with black, white and gray. The storage cubes are to small . Get one large statement storage/shelved unit in black to give it height and ground the room. Floor lamp , look at replica designer lighting, lots of choices and get rid of small nick necks lying around.
  • chubbychicky
    I love the cushions that you've chosen Theophil......can I be cheeky and ask where you bought them?
  • User

Cheekychubbychicky

• User

I agree with oskuee, definitely don't have razors lying about!

• Sam
    Автор
  • Sam
    Автор

Would hanging a mirror above the sofa work? Or would it look too cluttered?

• User

For a sofa, you need a mirror 3/4 the length of it. That's a lot to ask of your Commander hooks. Try a smaller mirror near the front door instead to check yourself before you leave.

• Sam
    Автор

What do you guys think of the floor lamp version of this lamp from ikea?

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50281413/

• User

It would help to soften the room to have more fabric, but what base do you choose for that shade?

• Sam
    Автор

Ikea doesn't seem to have too many choice with the lamp base - http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10805/

I'm thinking just a basic black base?

I just found this pic of a lamp on another houzz forum. It's so beautiful but I have no idea where I would be able to find it.

https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/contemporary-living-room-contemporary-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~4297466

• Sam
    Автор

I always thought about throwing away the storage cube cos I didn't think it really suited the room or had any purpose there. But after @oskuee's comment, I'm thinking of painting it and then turning it around. Would black be the best colour though? And I can add orange & blue boxes in just 2 of them?

• KK1000
    I have seen that black floor lamp it's to big for your room and is over $1000 to buy
  • KK1000
    For lamps have a look at Matt Blatt, Sokol, replica furniture , Milan direct and that kind of shops IKEA is not THE SHOP for everything.
  • chubbychicky
    Thanks heaps Theophil.......I'll have a look :)
  • dohraime

The lamp is called C-U C-Me Arc Lamp. You'd be looking at upwards of $1500 to purchase in Australia. I actually don't think it would be that difficult to recreate the look....

A mirror would look fine over the sofa but I think it's too risky on temporary hooks. You wouldn't want it coming down on anyone sitting on the sofa. Approach the landlord and see if you can actually put nails and screws in the wall so long as you patch & paint the holes at end of lease. It wont hurt to ask.

Check out Apartment Therapy for tips on renting and putting up wall decor or alternative ways to display items.

• christaline

What a beautiful coffee table. Any modern artwork that you like would look great, but don't skimp on the size of it, or alternatively lots of your favourite photos/pictures framed in one sort of block area would also be great. We have a beautiful black and brass nautilus on our coffee table - if I could load a photo I would. Just go shopping and wait until you find something you can't live without - don't hurry, you'll find it. Good luck and all the best in your new home.

• Sam
    Автор

Added a few things. I know the artwork is too tiny for the sofa :/

• KK1000
    All you need is a large black and white artwork to bring the look together and a taller floor lamp so it's not all at same level. As I said before skip IKEA you need a statement piece.
  • KK1000
    Chelsea Park Gardens | London | SW3 · Еще
  • KK1000
    P.s it doesn't need to be one large piece it could be something like photo above, it will give room the height. Smaller is also easier to hang on temporary .
  • dohraime

What an improvement Theophil! And all that light flooding in really lifts the room also.

You could experiment with increasing the size of that artwork by mounting it on a backdrop piece. Something like a larger artists canvas (the flat kind, not box frame) and painting it or covering in complimentary fabric. Or use a wood panel, left raw or paint/cover it.

That is actually an artist panel, but I don't see why something from hardware store wouldn't work.

You could also just tack decorative paper, wallpaper, fabric behind it.

• User

But nothing too tacky. ;)

• Joanne Fosdike
    You should see the Houzz article - Size up the Right Area Rug for Your Living Room - a great article that will show you how to use your rug best to anchor your furniture and define your living space. You've got the bones now, this will help bring it together much better and explains the concept much better than I could here.
  • christaline

What you're doing is great, try and get a little more balance. The photos you have on the shelves beside your sofa (with maybe a few more of them) would be great on the wall with your painting to maybe even frame the picture. Try your candlesticks on your dining table. Have you tried the shelves on the other side of the sofa - I love moving furniture around. At the moment your eye is drawn to the lower part of your room instead of getting the overall effect which will end up great. Just keep fiddling.

• Jessica Sanday
    Hi there I think that adding in wooden decorations and real/fake plants can help bring a bit of life in to your space. And the tones of plants and wooden/nature looking items work really well with neutral colours. They can be both cheap and expensive depending on your taste so finding a bargain or something to suit your needs should be quite easy. If you want a more elegant look marble decorations even if small can be a great way to add a look of class. Candles are also a great way to add in some nice smells to invite people into your home. Keep in mind that sometimes less is more. Don't overdo it and have some fun! It's nice to shop for your home.
  • geraldineanne_hunt
    Make contact with the real estate agent and tell them you will patch up the holes when you leave. Shouldn't be a problem, I have done that before.