Houzz Logo Print
stella_bella_boo

Pendant lights over island bench?

stella_bella_boo
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
We are having a white kitchen with tropical garden window splashback and deciding on whether to have 3 pendants hanging over our island or keep it simple with 3 LEDs?

Комментарии: 8

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Stella,

The contrast from splashback and pendants could be exciting... it's one you have to see though to be able to advise.. The room also plays a part in this too.. What else is happening.. : ))

• stella_bella_boo
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

We are building so no images yet timber floor and open plan living, dining kitchen in an L shape.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Stella,

Okay.. Well I would say that you could have pendants given the size of the room and if you're not having overhead extraction on the island for example... Also there are many other things you can do with an island that doesn't necessarily involve lighting at all.. You might want to hang your pans for example.. It's not a prerequisite to have lighting here.

Interested to know what the Tropical garden window splashback is.. but don't forget a pendant can be a cluster configuration of a single drop. They look really gr8 at differing heights and 3 or 5 could be fantastic. In this way you can actually create something bespoke..

Things to consider are that beautiful bulbs that can be a feature in themselves... Scale... Large expansive, vs smaller. Then textures as this can create interest... Also colour... can you pick out the splashback somehow.. You can do this kind of thing with 1 ceiling rose and multiple outlets.. Have interesting cable and hooks...

For other ways to illuminate which I can shed some light on... : ) ) no pun intended are wall lighting.. consider something more interesting than a spot or the usual suspects.. : ))

• PRO
    Ivy Ngeow Architecture & Interior Design

Pendant definitely. You need a focal point for islands. Otherwise the effect of the island is lost. You only do LEDs when there is nothing decorative to do to a space, and it is just functional.

• PRO
    SM Electrical Supplies LTD (SM Lighting)

Product photos · Еще

Hello Stella,

With what you are describing I would always recommend pendants. With the open plan feel using the LED spots will leave a huge gap and the space feeling empty and the feeling that something is missing. Depending on colours I would try to use coloured pendants like the picture attached. To add an extra dimension to your lighting you could run LED hidden strip lighting along the top of your kitchen units and this will then reflect on to your ceiling creating a warm feeling and also a separate light source when you do not want to use the pendants. With this go for a simple warm white or daylight as the RGB colour changing packs are more expensive and can look out of place as some of the colours they change on to look cheap in a residential setting. I would also advise do not buy budget LED strips as they will not last. Brands such as Ansell are generally good quality and come with long warranties.

Thanks

James

SM Lighting

Edinburgh

• stella_bella_boo
    Автор

Thanks for your comments

the splashback will look like this. The timber flooring will run up the back of the island. Originally we were doing veneer over cupboards but weren't 100% happy with the veneer and there will be 5 double cupboards above so quite a lot

these were the lights I had my heart set on but now thinking the will get lost with the white over cupboards

hubby is making the kitchen so there will be strip lightung under the over cupboards and the island

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Stella,

Ah yes you don't see that every day.. Rather interesting.. I like the foliage element and why not compliment that with palms or other large leafed plants in large pots which would really add to the look..

I rather think that my first suggestion or something like it could be nice... Semi translucent or translucent shades of green could be gr8 with this as its delicate and leaf like - but also the greens will be nice with the backdrop of the cupboards.

Textured cupboards in white would also add to the elements here beautifully..

It will be a very fresh and interesting kitchen.. :))

• PRO
    SM Electrical Supplies LTD (SM Lighting)

Hey Stella,

The gaucho fitting from Dar is similar and the black with the wood effect would stand out in the white kitchen. They have also just launched one with a deep gold colour instead of the wood which is lovely. This also comes in white.

Thanks

James