Houzz Logo Print
tenisha_y_evans

Help with dining room accent wall!!

New Home
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I am trying to find an accent wall color for my dining room. The walls are currently SW Kilim beige. My husband wants to keep the walls beige but I think we should add an accent wall for dimension. I tried SW Urban bronze and study brown but they were both way too dark. The picture on the wall has dark tones so the accent wall can't be too dark or the picture won't pop. Should I just leave the entire dr kilim beige or should I continue to look for an accent color? I was thinking a light grey or a darker color on the kilim beige color strip called Hopsack.

Комментарии: 27

• kathleen MK
    I think an accent wall would not look good with the wainscoting. The dark paint samples would also chop the space up with high contrast with white wood work. A cooler beige or taupe might work better with you art work but how would that work with adjoining spaces?
    I would keep the beige and add more color and interest with more art or accents, darker funishings and drapes.
  • tiffany66
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

If you put the paint color mfg and name in the Houzz search field you can see a lot of rooms painted that color. It might give you some ideas. Personally I agree with Kathleen MK above.

• Tara Egan
    I agree with Kathleen. I'm not sure if do a dark accent with the wainscoting.
  • New Home
    Автор

Yes, I agree. I'm starting to give up the idea of an accent wall. I wanted to add more dimension since the beige is so neutral and I love dining rooms with dark paint, but it will probably take away from the wainscoting and the picture we have on the wall. Guess my husband was right on this one! Thanks you guys!

• Darzy

Agree. Go with color and interest in the area rug, drapery and dining upholstery. Neutral and beautiful....

Hudson Residence · Еще

• PRO
    Gabriella Lanzo for Ethan Allen of River Edge
    I think you should absolutely paint. I love grays light or dark. If you want to make a true statement do a dark color. Navy is very popular now. I will agree it will look confusing to do an "accent wall" you need to stick to your guns and just paint the whole dinning room. It's not just because of the moldings. You have so many breaks in the room with the windows. and the other walls are small.
  • User

Good news is there isn't that much of the wall left to paint. What are the colors you're interested in using? Darryl Carter for Benjamin Moore is first photo; third is SW Sea Salt. Your columns at the entrance to the room are fairly dramatic and so I think using a deep hue would look great.

• PRO
    Koskovich Design Group LLC

It is difficult to get the effect you wanted with a 1/2 wall and wainscoting. You would need to paint all the dining room walls and a medium tone would be better than the dark brown here. If you keep the beige walls you can achieve a similar effect by doing dark drapery panels for the accent and adding an area rug in the same tone.

• Bette P

If the ceiling is separate from the other room, paint the ceiling something snazzy.

Jane Lockhart Interior Design · Еще

• New Home
    Автор

I'm painting the wall back beige. Now the question is should I do a rug in the room or keep it wood on wood? Also should I do brown drapes or cream?

• User

Cream would be pretty, definitely puddling on the floor. A textured rug, because you don't have a lot of texture or color, in hues that include the beige and rich looking, but not dark because the floor is dark.

New Home поблагодарил(а): User
  • User

curtains like these look beautiful against the dark floor

• Jillian - Interior design student

Consider Nomadic Desert. How about wallpaper?

This is Nomadic Desert over Hopsack.

New Home поблагодарил(а): Jillian - Interior design student
  • PRO
    Koskovich Design Group LLC

I think it looks good with the walls painted beige again. I like the idea of a color on the window instead of pale cream panels. There are a lot of places to look for side panels: Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Smith and Noble. I would keep in mind if the window faces a street that the draperies need to be lined. Hang them high and full, a silk would be nice. Graphics patterns are very popular now but a solid silk is always nice. If you do choose to place a rug under the table remember that over time there will be a faded area around the rug so get the correct size first.

• lynartist
    I like the kilim beige in this room. Does the ceiling continue into the next room or break at the columns. It would be nice to add a shimmering wallpaper to this for some glamour. The only way the darker walls and artwork would have worked would have been to Matt and frame the painting.
  • Susan Davis

I would so paint the whole dining room a deep shade or a bright shade. This is a room that is not used a lot by people these days and it will contrast with all the rest of the beige walls! I say paint the whole thing and I love your green!

Green and a lot of white for balance against the strong color

Parade of Homes 2012 · Еще

Bittersweet with black and white to balance it

Ross Shingle Style · Еще

Grey the color of the year with white and wood tones

Dining Room · Еще

Gorgeous room blue and silver and washed wood tones

Minnesota Residence · Еще

Blue from green room. A nice contrast and I bet there is blue in the green area too!

New Canaan Private Residence · Еще

Gorgeous grey and cerused oak chiars!

The Carey at Foothill Crossing · Еще

Color is so memorable

New Home поблагодарил(а): Susan Davis
  • User

If you are going to purchase a rug, I would definitely wait if you also want a strong color or pattern on curtains. the rug is the big investment - I would see how the room looks when it's down and choose a color from it that you want to highlight. I love creamy drapes that are puddled over a dark wooden floor, but there are millions of options!

• dyliane

I don't like accent walls I think a better name should be Lazy wall. If you are lazy you do only one wall. Put wallpaper will be nice

New Home поблагодарил(а): dyliane
  • glschisler
    I would not do a rug as the wood floors are low maintenance. Just a dusting as compared to a vacuum job of maintaining a rug.
    New Home поблагодарил(а): glschisler
  • PRO
    User

Here is an image from a project of ours. See the rug and the curtains?

Morrison Heights Kitchen · Еще

• tiffany66

Sorry Joanne, its hard to see the rug and drapery pattern in your photo.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

Can you do the dark color on the wainscot?? I agree that up on the wall the picture will disappear. If you have to use that painting on that wall, then keep it a light color. I have seen dark wainscot and it looks amazing! I was going to do mine in black. Kendall Charcoal is always a favorite. For sure do a rug with a pattern. Or drapes. or both.

not the best picture, but you get the idea. And the upper wall is beige like yours. Love the black and white rug with it as well.

Noe Valley Two · Еще

another grayish

Urban Homestead · Еще

and a darker shade. I love the bright chairs with it.

Colorful Family Home · Еще

• New Home
    Автор

we bought thin drapes so that light can continue to come through the dining room. They're cream so they ate very subtle and don't make a big impact on the room. Still looking for a nice rug.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs

Tenisha, I love those columns! What style and colors of rug are you looking for? Are you looking for a Persian or something more modern?

• Susan Davis

Still think you should paint the upper walls dark; select a color from your print and go for it. It will be a WOW dining room

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs

You definately could get away with dark walls as long as you painted all of them dark.