Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_lamoureux

Should we add an area rug or something else?

Jennifer Lamoureux
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
This is our living room. We often feel like it is bare. What can we do to make it more cozy? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Комментарии: 81

• Kerissa Brown
    I think wood floor living rooms should always have an area rug that accents or the room will look kinda cold or bare.
  • yvesun
    a plain bevelled edge mirror to fit behind and above to the top of the bookshelf would look nice. You would want to keep the same hieght gap above the mirror as the top of the bookshelf. It wouldn't compete with your current piece and would reflect light around the room.
  • Stephen Bellefeuille
    A nice large cow hide rug , and I'd change the pillows with a color other then brown .
  • ao2009
    I'd definitely add a rug, either textured or patterned.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    Yes to the rug and you could add a few other things too.
  • PRO
    Todd B. - Buffington Fine Homes
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
    First, I would decide on your color pallete, I think lighter orange, amber or yellow/golds would combine well, consider turquoise accents. A larger area rug will cozy things up, consider pulling couch away from the wall and finding 2 chairs, perhaps vintage modern to place accross from it. Could center a small table between the chairs. A larger coffee table would serve as a good anchor. Coordinating artwork over FP and above couch and brigher coordinating objects on shelves. A stack of coffee table books or grouping of books could look nice on shelves and a small green plant or two would bring life to them. Some lower side tables with vintage modern lamps would go well too. Consider 2 tone geometric patterned curtain panels.
  • Lizabeth
    Oh I like your room. Yes to the rug as many already said. I know you have the track light but could you install little halogen puck lights in the niche? I would love to see halogens there as they are so great with art and change the shelves to perhaps a cherry or walnut wood instead of painted? or even a wood edge with a glass center so that the light flows down. Or just a wood edge applied to current ones if budget is tight.
  • Dana C.
    Do you prefer brights or warm neutrals? Minimalist or accessorized? Decide which way you want to go and that will guide your selections. Begin with low cost changes mentioned here- rug, interior paint on bookcase wall- or as is with large, light accessories and a few stacked light covered books. Then post your pics for us! You have a beautiful canvas to work with.
  • Dana C.
    The artifact on mantle could look striking hung above with light on it.
  • Johanne True
    A WHITE LEATHER SHAG RUG WOULD BE GREAT AND IT WOULD ANCHOR THE ROOM AS WELL
  • PRO
    The Reinvented Room
    great looking room, and all the comments are on the right track ! Geometric pattern in rug or window treatments and contrasting color for the bookshelves all excellent suggestions ! i find Overstock is a great place to shop for those items, can't beat the shipping ! Happy decorating and please post a pic when you make your choices !
  • PRO
    The Reinvented Room
    Also I would like to see a three dimensional art piece over the sofa , and more texture added to the room !
  • PRO
    Julie Dailey Art
    Love the rooms and the colors--a nice piece of art would bring the room together! I have recently completed some that would look great. All are original acrylic paintings on heavy gallery wrapped canvas. Please contact me at julie@jul313.com for further info or check out my website at www.jul313.com.
  • Judit
    Yes you need an area rug in there. I'd suggest a blue and red one, anything but black and white pls :)
  • rod handler
    A big art piece, maybe an oriental rug, but get a real, vintage one. The new ones all look pretty cheap, and often they aren't. Folkati is another option that would look cool in the room, especially if you replaced the beige recliner with something bright red.
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
    We are considering some low cost purchases. Jysk carries these shag rugs but we are not sure if any will Be a good fit. Do we go white or taupe? Also in place of our current coffee table we are considering this much heavier, square piece. We also considered no table at all. Thoughts? Thank you :)
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
  • Jayme H.
    White if your walls stay the current color
  • PRO
    Suave Interiors & Creations
    if you want minimum changes just throw in a warm furry, soft rug in creme.....put in roman blinds in front of that window in some nice brocade work colourful design, you need some photo frames of loved ones on top of that fire place mantle and an inspirational framed pic on the wall above....for the niches just put in a nice wallpaper wit self textured pattern again with a creme base, as for the wall behind the two-seater couch clustered pics in dark maghony wood frame will do wonders, make sure the pics are colourful and the accessories you put in front of the wallpaer in niche be darker in hue....get in some warm lights fixtures installed and please get rid of those light blue lamps and all....instead put in a satin brushed stell loop floor lamp placed near the couch.

I guess this should do the trick.
  • Jayme H.
    White/cream..Cream I guess as your sofa isn't white...sorry
  • bhaile
    A rug would be awesome.
  • PRO
    Signature Designs Kitchen | Bath | Interiors
    Your room can be an amazing place for you to relax from your daily work schedules. I suggest you look at the room as a whole. Think about the colors that excite you, bring them into the rooms as accents and then you can easily change them out.

I have put together an option for you to consider for your room. It will really give you an idea of how it could look. There are a lot of really good comments on here but what you really need is a plan, a full blown room design.

Good Luck.

Signature Designs by Bonnie Bagley Catlin
    Certified Interior Designer, CID Member of ASID & NKBA
    www.bonniebagley.com
  • Bryanb
    Definitely a rug in middle. Something with orange that would compliment the dark floors. I just did my living room space in front of fire place. See pics and I included a separate rug sample as well. Also maybe tie accent pillows on sofa with orange as well
  • jessicas_lynn_
    I think it would look very nice with a white sheepskin rug!
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
    Looking into this rug. And considering no coffee table with this side table for the rocker
  • rhondatav
    I would put the couch in front of the fireplace. Will bring in the feel of conversing with company. Then put a nice rug under the coffee table.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    Immediately I pictured a rusty red area rug that would pull in the accessories you have in the room. This would add both warm and an element of fun! This is a beautiful room that just needs to be "finished".
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
    Made a few quick changes. This is what we have so far without buying anything.
  • vaanderson
    I love the floor but believe the wall surrounding the fireplace is far too dark and heavy. I would angle the sofa and chair and bring the two pieces closer to each other. Consider painting the fireplace wall a soft mid tone gray. bring in a geometric rug with grays, strong yellow and cream add funky pillows with yellow, taupe and perhaps black to shake it up. You need a fun round coffee table with glass or chrome to add reflection. A cool metal chandelier over the coffee table would add splash. Fun
  • Meri Hayden Rushing
    A fun, cream, fuzzy rug in the middle of the room. It will even out the color, but make it soft and cozy in your living room.
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
    Here is where we are at now. Not sure which lamp to go with, if any. Still need to find some cushions and to get some pieces for the shelves. Thinking maybe the attached photos
  • juniperjo
    I really think you should try rotating the room -- rotate both the rug (which in my opinion is too small, but to each his own) and the sofa and have the sofa face the fireplace, as others have suggested. You can leave the chair where it is, but I agree with others who have said a pair of chairs flanking the fireplace would probably look better. Try it out -- if you don't like it you can always put it back the way it is!
  • pmjames
    Hi Jennifer!
    I like your progress. The lamp doesn't match but the other accessories will look great. Your furniture is angled perfectly for your current furniture and the shape of your room. Here's a room that I am currently working on. Any suggestions for back pillows on this 15 foot sofa bench?
  • Jodi Walker
    Big art piece above fireplace, wallpaper on shelves back wall to lighten them, cowhide rug, much bigger coffee table, pull lounge off the wall a bit & add 2 comfy chairs opposite.
  • Jodi Walker
    Yes orange tones look great with grey & white but get this tone with timber not necessarily with an orange cushion.....needs texture texture texture! In same tone
  • paradisecastle
    I'd add either a rug or a throw with lots of texture. Definitely add a picture, metal work or something over the mantle, and maybe a green plant. Candles at night also give a cozy atmosphere.
  • Ann
    I like your room and your changes! I'd slide the rug about a floor board and a half closer to the couch. I do think painting the back of the shelves would be great and I might just choose a grey about 2-3 shades lighter than the current color. I love the color of the rust colored lamp but I can't decide about the style. I wouldn't get a larger rug - let those pretty floors show! What is the art above the fireplace - looks interesting? Possibly mount on the wall or leave as is and add canvas art above with rusts and greys - something that is just about the same width but no wider than the current art.
  • Ann
    Also, I like all the items you are considering for the shelves.
  • KG
    add texture with a simple grasscloth wallpaper at back of shelves. bigger rug for sure, and i would place a console table behind your couch--and then if you go without coffee table or with an ottoman you still have a tabletop for drinks, etc.
  • pivoines
    The sofa and chairs closer together and the front legs of the furniture should rest on the rug, the one you have is fine looking but too small. the coffee table or footstool table should be easily accessible from the sofa, not in the middle of the room. Contrary to some, I love your dark shelving wall, but you need to put lighter accessories on it , the shelves with the light accessories look great the other ones, a bit dark .I think that a tone on tone wallpaper the same color as your shelves in the back of the bookcase would add depth and showcase your accessories,Bonnie got it right with the modern and large art piece above the fireplace .I think your room will look beautiful, have fun.
  • PRO
    State Wide Construction & Remodeling
    Definitely add a rug to tie the whole room together.
  • Ann
    There are lots of opinions on your rug size but I really think your rug size is fine as is. All legs of couch and chairs on rug, front legs of couch and chairs on rug, or no legs of couch and chairs on rug - all three ideas work with lots of great examples of each on Houzz. I think the rug you chose is working nicely in your room if it is just moved a bit closer to the couch.
  • Jennifer Lamoureux
    Автор
    The art piece is actually a didgeridoo from Austrailia. We will be on the look out for a painting or mirror to place above as some had suggested :)
  • lepstein
    You definitely need a rug. Don't get rid of the coffee table, but perhaps replace it with the beefier one you posted. A complimentary picture above the long, narrow one might work, or a mirror in proportion to the art piece. The lamps are not strong enough for your room. Maybe metal or glass base with a wider, drum style shade. I like the idea of painting the backs of the shelves &lighting there. Group accents in threes rather than one per shelf. Don't be afraid to add in colour...maybe pick up from the artwork that you like.
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
    if you are going to make a research for art piece in your room please take a look at these abstract prints on paper and aluminum. They will add wow effect to the room. http://alexeirebrov.com?hz=361912
  • green_tea00
    All you need is a a rug. The rug needs to be very colorful and bright. Remember the little things are what make the difference.
  • juniperjo
    The other thing is, if you really love the didgeridoo, get someone to build you a stand for it that you can attach to the wall. (Similar to the stands people have made for samurai swords.) Or you can get a shadowbox built for it and then hang the shadow box. Unfortunately, by itself the didgeridoo doesn't pack enough impact for that blank space over the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Cindy Kirchubel- Interior design
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Yes, definitely a rug- and maybe a coffee table and some art? The room seems a bit spread out and a rug will bring the room together . PLEASE! my pet peave -that the Rug is not too small and not just floating in the room I would think by the phots you could at least use a 6x9 or maybe up to an 8x10 . Make sure it goes under the front of the sofa and a bit of the recliner.

The recliner or any chair when it sits off that far with out any connecting pieces will look more like the "time out" chair than a chair that is inviting. The addition of a Rug and a coffee table will make the room connected and inviting and you might want to spend some time in there.

• shecmar
    Very similar to the living space at our cottage which is not yet completed. We wanted to warm it up so I found a fun carpet to use for the summer months and something more grounded for the rest of the year.
    When I find the right winter carpet, I’ll increase the length by one foot so to it extends closer to the fireplace. This one is a foot too short in my opinion.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

5 years old post