Houzz Logo Print
diana_kraemer

Is this rug ok in this space?

Diana Kraemer
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
I love the look of the rug so I got a 5x8 but I'm not sure it's large enough and wanted opinions before I spend $26 to ship it back. It seems too narrow. I measured the area and the whole room is about 11x14.5. I've included some pics of the room sans rug.

Комментарии: 12

• Diana Kraemer
    Автор
    Sorry, the pics didn't upload with the original post.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

Hi. Nice rug! Choices for rug size vary from having all the furniture totally on the rug to having just the front legs to no legs on rug.

My preference is having at least the front legs of the seating furniture on the rug. I think it is likely that you chose the correct size.

Are you going to have any other seating in the room? For example, you could have 2 chairs along the front window or move the sofa to the back wall and float 2 chairs where the sofa is.

Either way, It appears the front legs of the seats could be on the rug.

If you want to keep the sofa where it is now, I suggest moving the sofa away from the antique sideboard and tuck it under the front of the sofa.

An alternative would be to turn the rug the other direction.

• Diana Kraemer
    Автор
    It just seems like there is SO much space on either side of the rug though..
  • PRO
    Urban Bond Creative

hello, pictures may be deceiving, but i would say this carpet is way elongated for the living area space. I would suggest more square ratio, to be harmonious with the open space proportion. One good exercise is to turn it 90 degrees and just see how it feels , may look better or give you an idea in which direction to move on. good luck!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

Diane.....you really need to place the furniture before deciding on a rug. So, at this point, I cannot tell you if it works.

What other chairs do you have planned for the room? What is the purpose of thie room?

• Diana Kraemer
    Автор
    We're looking for a decently priced console table for in front of the wi dow and we may be getting a big chocolate brown squishy chair but that's it. Maybe the question I should be asking then, is how to arrange the room better? The front door opens right into the room and I don't want the sofa facing the window - that seems weird and the plants need the light anyway.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

Here is another way to think of it.....it is not really the size of the room that is so important. It is the size of the seating area. Does that make sense? Keep in mind, once you do have the seating area set, you can "cheat" a little on the sofa side, by tucking the rug under.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

I think the space is fine, generally how you have it set up. The sofa creates a nice "front hall" for you.

I think it could be that the rug is perfect for this situation. Here is what to do

-pull the rug under the sofa, leaving more space in front of the antique piece.

-place the dog bed in the corner as a mock large chair (pull it out a little since a large chair will be larger than the dog bed.

-place boxes on the sides of the white table to signify a longer console.

-not sure if the bookcase is staying?

see how that looks.

Then try turning the rug the other direction and see if that works.

• Diana Kraemer
    Автор
    Thank you! I will try that. I'd really rather not have to return the rug.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

The room has a lot o potential. Did you just move in? I'd be careful about the size of the large chair.

• Diana Kraemer
    Автор
    Yes. We moved in November and I'm on break from school, so I'm hoping to get stuff done before it starts again. I'm very open to suggestions and ideas as I have almost zero decorating sense.