Houzz Logo Print
newhomeissuez

Question about new construction timeline

homebuyer
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

We are nearing the closing of our new construction after nearly a year of back and fourth with the builder. Initially, we were told the house would be completed in July, then it changed to August, then October and then it was pretty set for beginning of November. Needless to say, we are still not in the house. During this time, the mortgage rates have increased, we've been displaced from our apartment and are residing in a friends spare bedroom with all of our belongings. The contract says that the home will be completed at the beginning of August, or at reasonable notice to the buyers. There has been no reasonable notice to the buyers, we have been strung along for months and it's creating a tremendous amount of stress. The home looks beautiful and I am happy with the construction but if we had known it would take this long to build our 2,000 sq ft home, we never would have gotten ourselves into this. Would it be unreasonable for us to request some sort of reimbursement or discount on the home price to make up for all of the additional time we've had to wait? I understand new construction rarely completes on time but is 5 additional months reasonable?

Комментарии: 4

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce

I'm guessing that the contract you signed covers the builder's obligations and you aren't able to get any financial concession. This would ultimately be a question for your lawyer, who would examine the contract and advise you of any rights you might be able to exercise. My sympathies for all your troubles.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.

I agree with Cynthia. Have an attorney just look over your contract and see if the wording provides you any relief.

homebuyer поблагодарил(а): Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • User

It would be rarer than hen's teeth for your contract to allow any form of penalty in a residential build. The only leverage you have us if you owe the builder money. But then, his leverage is the refusal to apply for a CO. It's best to just be thankful that you are done and move on.

homebuyer поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    High Caliber Construction

Try talking to your builder and if he understands your troubles they might be more likely to reimburse you in a different way, perhaps an upgrade or a high end feature; since you mentioned that they did quality work but performed poorly on deadlines.

homebuyer поблагодарил(а): High Caliber Construction