Houzz Logo Print
padubra

Looking at a new home purchase

padubra
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I am not in love with the box look of the house... I do like the space and interior... I need to consult with an architect to see if this is even makes any sense???

Комментарии: 3

• libradesigneye

padubra - we don't have a photo, and I'm not getting the reference about what would make sense. What I can tell you is that typically, like a new car, buying a house new loses its value nearly immediately. Also, they come with hidden costs. New homes typically lack: irrigation, landscape plantings, window coverings, bath accessories (towel racks, robe hooks, tp holders). These really add up.

If you want to lose money, buy a brand new house. A gently used home will typically have these things and the market will have stabilized so you know the true value of the neighborhood. Unless your new home is infill in an established community, you won't be in the part of town considered to be "the nicest" and you will have paid a premium for the house because it is new. The materials and workmanship in older homes is often far superior to the workmanship and materials used by builders today. .. so think carefully before you buy a new home.

padubra поблагодарил(а): libradesigneye
  • PRO
    G V V Architects

I disagree with the generality that new houses lose value. In our market a new house in the right place will change in value along with the rise and fall of the community's real estate market. A cookie cutter builder house is more likely to be priced higher than cost. If you build on your own lot with a reputable contractor it is possible to build more value into the project than you pay. Also in many neighborhoods older houses that need expensive work can have their value inflated by proximity to better homes. When buying an older home a certified inspector should be employed to check all electrical and mechanical systems and look for code violations and structural issues.

• libradesigneye

GVV - we agree. Cookie cutter builder houses are likely to be priced higher than cost and not hold that value. But a custom or semi custom home is often a great value - padubra mentioned she like the inside but not the outside, meaning she was likely looking at a model home. Model homes are standard evidence of a cookie cutter builder house.