Houzz Logo Print
frazier1

Need help with curb appeal.

frazier1
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

This house is so cute on the inside, but kind of plain on the outside. I'm stumped as to how to add curb appeal, so asking for suggestions. Should I add shutters? What color to paint the door? Landscaping is a challenge as cement has been laid to the right of the stairs at a slant for water drainage. Help please!

Комментарии: 9

• studio10001

How about an awning, or pergola? There isn't adequate space for shutters, but you could add colour with flower boxes, if you liked. I'd be inclined to replace that bit on the left with a japanese maple and low spiller evergreen , place seating under the pergola to create a patio effect, and bring your walkway forward of the cement altogether. Alternately, you could carve out a plant bed to cover the existing lines from the front door to the drive, and add a side step to the porch, so it jives with the walkway.

• raineycarole
    No shutters. Add a railing for the steps on the porch light side.
  • grapefruit1_ar

Yes, a fabric awning and railing would be great!

• PRO
    Blade Runners Services LLC
    Remove a section of concrete by the house and turn it into a planting area to soften the feel of the front entry. Keep the sidewalk or install a new sidewalk with some movement and flow.
  • User
    I like the idea of a porch cover of some kind, blue one in picture is too small. I think a wood porch cover with posts would add dimension.
  • lefty47
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

HI -- The dark brick on the lower right does nothing for the house . I think that needs to be painted the house color or re-moved and the siding continued . Add extra trim around the front door and have two matching lights . And maybe some bigger house numbers to the right of the front door . I think having a deck/porch across the width of the house to about 6 feet deep then a retractable awning the width of the house . A white railing around will add interest . Paint a charcoal/black on the roof edge ... and maybe a rusty red "Rusty Nail " by Benjamin Moore paints for the front door . A separate walkway with some edge plantings . Get some landscaping help from your local garden center . It is not good for a house to have planters up against the house , so if you have the front deck then plantings can go in front of that.

• yvonnecmartin

Don;t remove the cement walk-way, but rather design a garden that adjoins it. This will increase curb appeal.

I would paint the dark brick the color of the rest of the house.

As to plants, we need to know where you live; your horticultural zone. Are there trees in the front yard? What direction does the house face?

• Jen Herter

I like the idea of adding a wood awning around the door but not fabric. If you can create faux beams and extend the roof line just around the door area, it will add the needed dimension.