Houzz Logo Print
mallory_pehrsson

Front yard landscaping help!

Mallory Wyles
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
I am at a loss as to what to do! Our landscaping sucks to say the least, and whoever planted the current bushes did zero prep work. I am wanting to start from scratch, and turn the front yard into a colorful, maintenance free space year-round. I love the cottage look, but not too messy. The hardest part of this is the soil. Our soil is red clay, and we are zone 8a. It would be nice to plant something that doesn't require a ton of work, as ripping out the bushes is going to be tiring enough! I thought about day lilies and hostas, but am unsure which type of bush is best. I would love something colorful, but it would need to be sun-loving as our front yard is almost always full sun. Thanks in advance!! Please help this newby!

Комментарии: 6

• PRO
    Blade Runners Services LLC
    Where do you live? I run a 3D design program for my clients. My company is Blade Runner Services LLC and are.just north of Chicago. If you are not nearby we could do a design and send it to you.
  • havingfun

ok, if you are in 8, you are nowhere near Chicago. Hostas are not good in the sun. i have lots of clay where i live in DE and before in MD, eastern shore. of course we are 7 up here. But a lot is close. i would save what you have. Most are larger than average potted plants so, they would cost more to replace, find out what they are, if they get too big do not put them back. People are always planting things then in 5 years, when they are too big, they complain, and often leave them to wreck the house, etc.

So, for the small spot in front of the house there, I recommend the following plants. Shasta Daisies, Cone Flower, Sea Stars (I hope I said that right) rosemary, lavender, salvia-don't get too big, Peonies. finish up the front with dianthus and thyme. This border will come back annually, some will be green year round and will smell good. Stick some bulbs in between. Your day lillies, tulips, various iris, always try to plant in triangles of 3 do the tallest back row first thing go in between the next row and continue til you are done. You can use leaves as mulch every year.

every winter stick a sheet of plastic and your bags of mulch/soil on top, in spring you will have a patch that does not need tilling to plant. Large plants that always do well, roses - neglect them, do not pamper, just mix them in, althea, hydrangea, hibiscus, heavenly bamboo.

If you want a nokill shade garden, the following adore shade. Azalea, hostas, and yearly (unless they are year round down there) impatients, beautiful garden every year, with no work.

Hope it helps, send pics!

• yvonnecmartin

I have news for you--there is no maintenance-free landscaping. You can cut down on the work by using shrubs and ground-covers, but even they need pruning. If you mean less work, then I recommend Susan A Roth, "The Weekend Garden Guide" 1991, Rothdale Press. It is out of print, but I have found good copies at Amazon. Maybe your local library has a copy.

• havingfun

maybe it is just here that it was no work. But perhaps you should try before letting snap decisions be made for you.

• Mallory Wyles
    Автор
    I am just wanting something that will be okay without being watered everyday. I know good landscaping takes work, but want to do it right from the start. The hardest part is the builders did not prepare the soil or anything prior to planting the bushes. There are some purple diamond lorapetulems, but one has already died. It's really hard clay dirt, and they placed rock on top with no top soil or liner. I didn't know if just leaving the bushes in there and raising the bed up to plant the others would be best? Like I said, I'm a newby but have done a little research and just want something that will last from the start. Thanks for the help!