Houzz Logo Print
huey6

Need input on the right backsplash for beach home

Deborah
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
Finally I'm ready to put up the glass backsplash in this kitchen. I don't care for the existing cabinets but don't have it in my budget to replace them. The countertops are peacock green & those are staying as well. This is a beach house & has lots of windows & sunlight. The kitchen is small & already has beadboard on dining nook ceiling as well as boxed in plant ledges in kitchen. I'm looking at two things: adding white beadboard to cabinet side panels (4 spots) then adding white mosaic glass tile for backsplash (replacing the dark stone now on stove wall) OR using a sea foam 2x4 inch glass subway tile on top & bottom of white mosaic to bring out sea foam color in granite. ??? Picture were taken just before sunset.

Комментарии: 12

• libradesigneye

The wall color and the proposed seafoam are making the wood cabinets appear to be more orange than they are. Do not try to add white panels to the end cabinets - that will make it worse. Unless you are going to paint these cabinets white, I must advise new paint color - heading towards more seafoam is not going to bring out what you like in this stone but only add more confusion.

• acm

I'd have the cabinets painted -- otherwise you're going to be fighting them. Then find a nice sea glass colored tile and off you go!

• libradesigneye
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

If you love the seafoam walls and want to do a glass tile, consider painting the cabinets in the blues - blue greens. That would give you the beach house vibe you are looking for - something like bm cloudy sky http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cloudysky - they have character and will look great painted and antiqued (a coat of stain on top of paint to bring out the curves in the wood)

Then i would tear out all the mosaic and do a full height seaglass subway glass tile - no white, no more mosaic .. pale blue green sea glass

• miacometlady
    Glass subway tile! Make sure you bring it home to make sure you have the right match. Also get someone who knows how to install them correctly as they are translucent.
  • PRO
    AK Complete Home Renovations

Two Words - Chalk. Paint. This is a beach house and can certainly stand a sense of whimsy and a splash of color. You already said you don't like the cabinets, and painting them would be the most dramatic - and probably cost effective - change you can make. It is also incredibly durable when done properly.

We would love to see a white or a shade of turquoise on the cabinets and then a complimenting backsplash. That granite will look good with many shades of aqua or blue, but test some chips by it to see what you like best before painting the cabinets. Don't be afraid to MIX shades of blue and green throughout the space. Use each color on 2 - 3 different items in the kitchen (cabinets, accessories, furniture, tile, artwork, lighting, etc)

Think of all the colors of blue in the ocean and how beautiful it looks when they come together!

• Deborah
    Автор
    Hmmm, I guess the cabinets do look kind of orange in the pics. I don't see the pics of my tile samples but the white glass mosaic is translucent and actually reflects greenish shades, no orange. Painted cabinets is going to be a must.
  • Deborah
    Автор
    Thanks ACM. I'm going to post a pic that I hope lets everyone see the white tile. It's translucent so it casts sea foam.
  • Deborah
    Автор
    AK, thanks for those photos. I would never have thought & luv those turquoise cabinets. Did you say chalk? I should have attached this picture in the beginning. One wall done & here is my dining nook.
  • acm

yeah, I don't think it's chalk like chalkboard -- it's just some term of art for a kind of paint.

• libradesigneye

Chalkpaint is a type of paint that takes a great deal less paint, provides a more easily distressed or rustic finish - see Annie Sloan chalk paints. They aren't durable as you would want for kitchen cabinets as they are typically wax rubbed to finish and cure, but you can use them and then use a poly finish. They are pretty forgiving for amateurs - so you can DIY. And, the color blends you can make are pretty nice. If I were having my cabinets painted, I would hire a pro and use the high end ben moore paints for casework that sort of level off the wood finish. Do some color board tests and pick one shade. But, if you need to diy, chalkpaint is an option with a clearcoat of poly on top. http://www.anniesloan.com/annie-sloan-products/paints/chalk-paint.html

I would combine some greek blue and louis blue with just a touch of provence - fix the color recipe and then mix batch after batch.

• Deborah
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

The brain got lazy and simplified the kitchen redo. Painted cabinets with White cabinet Rescue paint with only a little sanding, went with small white subway which sparkle beautifully in the sunlight. They look almost like glass. Fast forward to today. Cabinet paint has held up beautifully