Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

POLL: Wall-mounted TV above fireplace - yay or nay?

Emmeline Westin
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Many design dilemmas on Houzz are about what to put above the fireplace. Apart from mirrors and artworks, TVs are a popular choice, but it does divide opinion.

What do you think? Are TVs above the fireplace hot or not?

Blenheim Road · Еще

Yay
Nay
Other (tell us!)

Комментарии: 31

• embzop

It is just such an uncomfortable viewing angle when the tv is above the fireplace.

• Michael Rivas
    You would have to think about smoke and heat emitted from fire place may damage tv
  • PRO
    Wall Morris Design

If TV needs to be mounted above a fireplace, it looks better to build out the wall and create a recess. Also to protect from heat.

• Sophie Spence

Way too high for a little'un like me :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Emmeline,

For me the very idea of television becoming the focus of said living room is outrageous! (ha! and my grandfather was one of the first to have one in the home - knowing one of the fathers of television John Logie Baird.. BUT tv above a fireplace is an absolute no! To me it's absolutely ghastly! I would however like an old projector and a pull down screen fitted to the ceiling somewhere- this would be lovely as long as it's hidden when not in use.... : ))

• Juliet Docherty

Never ever ever....

• PRO
    Customised

A Mirror TV is probably the only acceptable way of mounting a TV above a fireplace. Here is one we did on Thursday.

• Sherbert Barnes
    Don't like at all, sorry!
  • PRO
    M.E.G.A. AV Installations Ltd

It can be "masked" or built in, but whatever is done to it - it is just to high. And, if fireplace is working, flame can be quite distracting (light & movement) too. It is one of the cliches that gets repeated on and on

• PRO
    Customised
    Height is the biggest factor. It is always too high for comfortable viewing from your seating.
  • PRO
    PictureFrame.TV

The majority of votes against this are due to the fact that it's a TV above the fireplace. When we do this, the TV doesn't look like a TV. And it's often in a room where it's not the primary TV. Most of our customers choose to have their MirrorTVs above fireplaces as they would happily place a mirror there.

• PRO
    Alexander Sedgley ltd

A room focal point should never be a screen!

• Emmanuelle
    Big nay!
  • drpepe101
    Even a mirror TV is just too high to be comfortable (unless you like to stand whilst watching).
  • User

I am opposed.

• Ketan V. Hirani

Most of the clients I work with have them above fireplaces as they're not primary TVs, but my own at home is set behind black glass which is fitted into shelving.

• PRO
    Bio Fires

The T.V is perhaps a little too high for comfortable viewing. As the fireplace is already a great focal point a grand mirror or great art work could enhance the focus of attention further.

• Steve Challenger

in the photo, there are no visible cables, presumably these are chased into the wall - quite a big job.

• PRO
    Kalkwarf Architects

It would be better if the television is recessed above the fireplace.

• PRO
    Videotree

A mirror television would like great above the fireplace.

• PRO
    Paul Case Furniture

Ideally no - I'm tall and the screen is still too high! But if the tv has to go there then it's got to be recessed.

• PRO
    Alexander Sedgley ltd

The wall position is too high - you are advised that a PC screen should really be horizontal to eye level. I agree its a shame to make the screen the focal point of the room.

• Trisha Goodwin

OK for holiday rental cottages and bachelor boys! Not in real homes.

• Sue Fendt

Feels like being in a pub!

• PRO
    Meadows Lamp Gallery

Not a comfortable viewing angle!

• PRO
    Your Hubb
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
    If you're going to have a fireplace, it's best to make it a feature!
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I think it is strange having a TV so high up on a wall. I have mine on a wall but it is sofa sitting height, I think watching with your neck at an angle would give you skeletal problems down the line!

Shannon

• Elizabeth Jones
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

It's not comfortable to view at that angle. Especially as we get older with stiffening joints!

• PRO
    Bath Bespoke

It definitely distracts from the beautiful fireplace

• PRO
    Immersive Cinema Rooms

The picture shown shows us a example of a badly installed TV where no thought has been put into the interior design of that element in the room. I can almost guarantee a Technology Advisor was not involved in the project as they would have found a better solution for the finish. Sometime the area above the fireplace is the only space in the room the TV can go, and when its property thought out it can work.

Smart Home, Surrey · Еще

Smart Home, Surrey · Еще