Houzz Logo Print
windsorhome

HELP!!!!!!!! Will this work in my kitchen????

windsorhome
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hi, We just moved into a new house. I bought a beautiful buffet (no returns) that I thought would go in my kitchen as overflow storage, etc. Now I'm not sure. Please give me your opinions and possibly how to make it work. I've included pics of my kitchen, with white buffet as well as dining room. Fyi...This is an old dining set passed down to me. Thanks for the advice!

Комментарии: 42

• emilyam819

You need open shelves or a large piece of art over the buffet.

Which dining set is going in the space?

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): emilyam819
  • apple_pie_order

Right size, wrong style.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): apple_pie_order
  • nicolediane

I think you should paint the sideboard. Red would look nice with the bar stools.

Traditional Kitchen · Еще

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): nicolediane
  • windsorhome
    Автор

Thanks for your suggestions! The red leather bar stools need to be replaced, as I need counter height chairs there. The dining set in the kitchen has dark brown leather chairs and they are quite functional for my two young boys. The two story fireplace is in our family room, across from kitchen area, separated by a high arch. The piece is 31 in high. It may work behind couch. ? I do love the idea of HUGE bold frame less art piece.

Comment that said that it was right size, wrong style...I'm wondering the same, but can't put my finger on it. I have ebony handscraped hardwoods that I thought would really tie anything in. Should it be more contemporary; glossy white buffet?

• User
    If you are wanting more storage, perhaps you could have your cabinetmaker extend your counter and do a built in buffet, serving area. The cabinet does not work, IMHO.
    Don't know why you can't return, but maybe repurpose to a den or bedroom. Or you can sell it on Craig's List.
    windsorhome поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    The Design Shoppe

I love it! It's a beautiful piece. You can use it anywhere. I would put modern art above it to contrast with the old world style of the cabinet. Much like how your cabinets are traditional, but you put contemporary lights in the room. I like to mix it up. I agree with lamps on it. I wouldn't paint it. Industrial style bar stools would look great & would be functional for the kids. The table looks contemporary. What about lighter chairs with it eventually?

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): The Design Shoppe
  • windsorhome
    Автор

Design Shoppe, you are right in line with my style. I like to mix it up, as well! We've all seen the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware designrooms and as beautiful as they may be, I believe variety really makes a difference. I'm going to put a large modern art piece above, lighten the chairs down the road, for sure and I love the industrial bar stool idea!! Thanks again!

Thanks to all 4 taking the time!

• lynartist
    I also like it, this space is screaming for color though. What bothers me more is the light fixture over the table seems oddly out of place. The two over the island make such a bold statement and this one ... hmmm not so much.
    windsorhome поблагодарил(а): lynartist
  • Joan

I like it where it is, and agree that a huge piece of colorful artwork or large mirror would look wonderful. Add a couple of plants in pretty pots, a beautiful serving bowl or vase, maybe a nice lamp (that brown one on your fireplace would be nice, with a white or lighter shade), and you're fine! The light fixture over the dining table seems a bit low to me though, especially if you're going to put artwork on the wall. Maybe eventually switch that out for something a bit "airier" so you can see through/around it at the art? Like a little trio of staggered pendant lights? Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure it'll be beautiful, as long as you follow your own instincts.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Joan
  • windsorhome
    Автор

Thanks Joan and Lynartist. I'm not a fan of the light over the dining table, so it will be switched out soon. Unfortunately the builder didn't line it up properly. :/ I like the several small pendant idea.

Thanks again for the decorating eyes and suggestions!!

• Lorrie Hagar

One thing you could do to make it blend is to change all the drawer fronts and maybe take the doors off the cabinets in the middle and just leave exposed shelves to match your kitchen cabinets. It shouldn't cost too much. And change the knobs too.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Lorrie Hagar
  • antymanda

Make sure what ever you put up above the buffet, it's too scale with wall and buffet.. Maybe something that has a pop of color too it..Or paint wall too make buffet pop against wall...Another idea I would use the height of your cielings and pick some dec. acc. that is tall on the buffet..

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): antymanda
  • Arlene Grimmond
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

The buffet goes with the white of the kitchen cabinets . Go to istdibs for inspiration on how to add accents to connect the dining table , the buffet and kitchen counter tops . Do not go with the flow but what you like . After all it's your space

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Arlene Grimmond
  • Arlene Grimmond

A cheaper alternative is to look around and shop Pier 1 Imports to jazz everything up without spending a fortune .

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Arlene Grimmond
  • Ann

I like the idea of painting it. It would look completely different if it were a color (whatever accent color will be nearby).

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Ann
  • PRO
    Deleap L.L.C

Add an art piece on top of the buffet.Try to match the color of the frame with your dining table.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Deleap L.L.C
  • Julia Bolling

How about swapping the china cabinet in the dining room and the buffet. They look about the same in length. You need something to pull the eye up. If you leave it there change the hardware. It has a 70's Mediterranean look. I had a dresser almost like it. It is a beautiful piece.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Julia Bolling
  • Sheri Baker
    If it was me, I'd leave it as is and change the dinette set you have. I think the heavy black is throwing the whole look off.
    windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Sheri Baker
  • Heather Offord
    I also think that buffet is perfect with your kitchen bit the black table is pretty harsh with the colours in the room.
    windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Heather Offord
  • Stella Mengels

two or three comfortable (club)chairs with a round bistro table in front of the french doors, to relax, read a newspaper, to drink a cofee or read a book with the doors open on a warm autum day. A kitchen is more than a place to eat.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Stella Mengels
  • Stella Mengels

A big green plant in a old or quirky planter on the sideboard and a few bits of color (glass, art, photo's, books) makes this kitchen more inviting.

• kanike

I would put up some great storage open shelves above the buffet and take advantage of even more storage for your pretty kitchen pieces. You can always throw on a white/light tablecloth on the table and the black diminishes!

Don't do toooo matchy-matchy with everything....a bit of euro and boho looks great! Mix it up is more welcoming...

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): kanike
  • windsorhome
    Автор

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Unfortunately the black table went in our last kitchen, but not as well here. In time I'll replace, but not top of the list. Maybe a light runner, place mats or table cloth, or a centerpiece of some kind will tone it down.

I do like to mix up styles, so I think I like the buffet and thanks to many suggestions, I'll make it work. I just need a cool, large modern canvas art for above and some pieces for the top.

Thanks again!

• tomandlora

mixing styles is fine. I would not try to match it to the cabinets but paint it a darker shade (like the dark in the countertop granite) for contrast. *I* would possibly hang a really large pot/pan holder above it, find some kind of art you find stunning, especially something 3D-ish OR paint that part of the wall a contrast color and add open shelving that works with the kitchen...in fact, painting that part of the wall a contrast color could look great no matter what you do...have fun and remember, paint can be re-painted :)

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): tomandlora
  • tomandlora

Also, I forgot to mention that if you look into changing out the hardware for something similar to your cabinets, whether in style, finish or both, may help you feel it is more cohesive.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): tomandlora
  • PRO
    Pamela Sandall Design

The rustic style of the buffet actually would look awesome tied into your fireplace with the rustic mantle. I don't mind the table with the kitchen OR the buffet with the kitchen, just not both. I can't see the layout that feeds into the family room, but if there is space to place it behind your sofa or on a wall in the family room, then either paint it dark (if the room permits) OR simply add a little antiquing glaze into the crevices to give it a more rustic feel.

For the wall next to the kitchen, you'd still have access to the storage in the room, so I'd love to see some giant art piece or even a mirror - just big!

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Pamela Sandall Design
  • Susan Davis

This piece is fabulous, but not perfect yet. I would remove all the overdone hardward and selet a basic round or square wrought iron knobs or modern clear glass balls with black back plates. then either have apiece of black granite cut to fit or just paint the top in black and finish in acrylic clear coat. It is a beautiul piece. then some tall black buffet lamps with fun shades!

Buffet With Black Top and Intricate Carvings · Еще
    This is obviously french country, but wanted to accentuate the black top which is what I think your piece needs. contrast and drama!

Midcentury Dining Room · Еще

Newlyweds · Еще
    Few more white buffets with dark dark tops and accessories too!

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): Susan Davis
  • PRO
    flair lighting

im trying to figure out what the problem IS...it looks fine. art over it a buffet lamp....good to go.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): flair lighting
  • User

Domestic Bliss - Fine Art · Еще

Which painting are you putting over the piece?

• clsarah

I like the piece and think it looks okay, but not great. My main issue with it is that because of it's placement and color it looks like an extension of the cabinets that is the wrong shade of white and style of door to my eye. I think I'd prefer it in a contrasting color so that it was obvious that it was it's own piece.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): clsarah
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Sell it.

It's Mediterranean and not from the last go around with Tuscan style furnishings. Also, I would not consider this a buffet, but a triple dresser for a bedroom.

The buffet you select should be a dark finish or painted finish to contrast your kitchen cabinets and correlate with your dining room table.

windsorhome поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • lynartist
    Win
  • lynartist
    Oops, sorry, was going to say, Windsorhome, if you decide to keep this piece of furniture there; it may be a good idea to paint it a dark charcoal color. I would leave the top as is. Try to raise it up a bit of you can also. If this is not at all the same color as your cabinets as mentioned by others above I think it would stand on its own and be part of the dining area. True it may be a triple dresser but what great storage and if it is repainted and the hardware changed as Soosun suggested, I don't see why it can't be re- purposes.
  • windsorhome
    Автор

I'm going to keep buffet for now and add a very large pop of colorful canvas art above. Question: re: light fixture over kitchen table, can I go with nickel, or does it have to match bronze pendants over counter bar area. Thanks for all of the input!!

• Stella Mengels

never try to match, it'll make your house boring. Nobody likes a house without a soul. Buy the light fixture you like... if you can't find it now, wait till you find the light fixture you fall in love with.

• windsorhome
    Автор

Great advice, Stella! Thank u!

• PRO
    flair lighting

i agree, as you really havent settled all the art and placement of things yet. wait on the light fixture. About the question. Mix and match is fine.

• Stella Mengels

To find "your" fixture, it is important to know how much natural light your room has in the darkest season and the lightest season, and where the windows are situated. North East or South West, make a huge difference....

• User
    Now I see your other space how about using the white dresser as a tv stand in your family room?
  • PRO
    flair lighting

omg sandy has the perfect idea/

• lynartist
    Wow, that is certainly a different view ! Good idea Sandy!