Houzz Logo Print
emmaoke

Garden design ideas needed

Cakelady
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
I'm currently having an extension built and then want to sort out my badly neglected garden. I feel is awkward as it is wide but narrow. It is approximately 8m deep x 72m wide. I've uploaded the plan of the back of our house and the garden. The kitchen/family room extension is being built where the trampoline is in the photo. The extension is 5.5m wide and leaves about 4m to the boundary. I was thinking of putting the tramloline and a shed in that area. Half of the garden gets sun the other half is shaded by the house. If stood in the garden with my back to the house the sun rises to the right and sets round the left side of the garden shinning across the whole of the back half of the garden. We love having people round for bbq's but also need space for my 11 year old to play football. I want to put a decked area outside the bifold doors (although it won't get much sun, possibly none) so I was therefore thinking of having a patio area towards the back of the garden somewhere as that has sun most of the day. I'd like an area for growing veg near the back door (far right of plan) although it only gets sun from late afternoon. I'd also love a tiki bar somewhere. I love plants and like gardening but don't get a lot of time so it needs to be easy to keep. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Комментарии: 10

• Cakelady
    Автор
    The garden is 8m x 22m wide not 72m. couldn't work out how to amend my post!
  • Ash McGregor
    Consider what you and your family would use your outside space for, how much time you have for maintenance, what the soil is like and the garden's aspect
  • PRO
    ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS

I would add borders adjacent to the house and boundaries, and grow wall shrubs/climbers behind other small shrubs or plants. Which plants will depend on the answers to Ash's questions. Then decide where you want areas to sit/eat/relax/play, and design generous rectangular/curvilinear spaces for them with paths at right angles from them to other spaces or the house. (curvilinear = a curved shape made up of circular arcs - the simplest is a circle/ellipse). Then fill in the spaces in between with borders of mixed trees, shrubs and perennial plants.

• PRO
    ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS

I would also sink the trampoline into the ground (just below ground level) so that it is hidden but still a safe play area.

• Cakelady
    Автор
    Thanks Ann I'd never thought of sinking the trampoline that's a good idea for me to think about. I think I'll get some graph paper and try and draw out some designs for the garden. I like gardening but don't really have a clue about what I'm doing. There's some lovely plants in the garden now and it will be a shame to lose them all so I'm going to ask my mother in law to help me try and pot some of them, so I can hopefully replant them when the garden is done.
  • PRO
    Breton Thomas Garden Design

Hi, I think you've had some great advice regarding planting. Considering the garden's layout, it might be good to divide the long narrow garden into specific areas - patio in the sun at the end with areas of planting and a veg plot, play area for your son in the middle which could have artificial turf, decked area by the house. I would be wary of using decking in a shaded area though as it can become slippy. There are some great alternatives to wood, composite decking for example, by Millboard is fantastic.

• Cakelady
    Автор
    Thank you Linsey that's a lovely garden. I wouldn't have thought of having it diagonal. Will definitely consider your advice. Extension is still ongoing so garden has been put on the back burner for a while but we're getting there.
  • PRO
    Dragonscape Devon

hello there. sinking the trampoline is a good idea however can be expensive to do, with a garden that size I would see no reason why you could not do everything you would like. I would avoid the decking behind your house as they can be very slippery when wet and during the winter can get algae growing on them making it unbelievably slippery. I run a landscaping company in Devon and this would be right up my street.

• steve3122
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Try to fit in a gas fire pit

see Elementi fires

cosy and sociable