Houzz Logo Print
harriet_mills

Painting my limestone fireplace yes or no

Harriet Mills
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
My cream dirty looking fire place does not match my white walls and trim now. Would you paint it?/ and if so how would you explain to the painters how to do it?

Комментарии: 33

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    No ,do not paint it
  • PRO
    Workhorse Design Build

I wouldn't paint it.

• Judy Mishkin

nope, don't paint it.

• jbeckhome

How about painting just the wall around it in a dark color that complements your decor? The stone won't look dirty anymore plus you'd add a little fun drama to the room.

• User
    It looks fine.
  • cpaul1

No, don't paint it. Take that TV down and hang art work.

• leelee

No paint, you don't want it to match your walls. Besides you might ruin it. It looks great except the TV is hung way too high. It should be just about 3 inches above the mantel.

• Barbara Almandarz

Definitely do NOT paint the limestone. I see you have a very white room, walls and furniture. Consider a couple of decorative items, pillows? floor vases in a blend of cream and white to help weight the room and colors.

• In Oaks

NO PAINT on your beautiful stone. It looks natural, not dirty.

• Harriet Mills
    Автор
    So there is no cream what so ever in my house now so it does stick out? I was reading there is a way to restain stone? Any suggestions on that? I just want it a little more white?
  • skittlebabi
    no do not paint it because I look pretty with it what I would do is take off the the and add an artwork of like a beach or something with color but the the works find to
  • studio10001
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hi, Harriot. You have a very lovely and elegant looking fireplace. The stone is providing some needed additional depth to your monochromatic palette, and is giving you a softly sophisticated focal point without you even having to try- lucky you! Lucky painters, too!

• jonathan3

It seems that a paint with blue would bring contrast and showcase your beautiful fireplace. Consider teal, turquoise, or even gray with blue undertones. Use that same color to balance the room with rugs, pillows, throws, and/or artwork.

• Nancy in Mich
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

If you really want a colored fireplace, sell this to someone who likes natural stone and put up one made of MDF or another material that holds paint very well. Craigslist is a good place to sell or to look for new surrounds, or you can build a new one right over this beauty and keep this preserved for the next owner, who may like it more than you do.

You say you don't have anything else cream in the house to match it, but everything in the photo is creamy. Painting the wall a color will make the fireplace surround and the built-ins stand out. They are features that many would envy and that look very nice.

If the bit of smoke discoloration on the stone is bothering you, have you tried a stone cleaner or magic eraser? Once you have it clean again, there are stone sealers you can use to help keep the stone clean. Check with a stone shop before using the stone cleaners or magic eraser to make sure they are safe on limestone. The sealer may darken the stone a bit and give it more of the depth that the other poster was talking about.

I agree about the TV being too high. If you want to keep it above the
    fireplace, bringing it down would look better and allow you to reduce
    strain on your necks. Putting it anywhere else in the room would also
    be an excellent choice. A TV above the natural fireplace may not be
    good for the electronics in a roaring fire, which may be why you have it
    so high. If you build a new surround around the existing fireplace, you can bring it up to the height of the TV. You could even hide some electronics inside the top of a surround if you plan it just right.

• Patricia Earehart
    Paint the surrounding area a slightly darker color to contrast with the stone. As in the attached photo.
  • tgb1

NO

• PRO
    Julie Schuster Design Studio

I would recommend not painting your limestone fireplace. Limestone is a natural product and the beauty is in its natural form. The color is neutral and can be paired with any color scheme. Paint the surrounding walls and let the fireplace be your focal point.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings

NO! Paint the surrounding wall another color to draw interest, Keep TV away...

• PRO
    Gibson Construction Company
    Don't paint the limestone!
  • Patricia Lombard

I have the exact same problem. People have told me it is an eyesore. I do not want cream accent pieces in my house decor. My builder had it installed without my knowledge. I wish I had a solution. My builder won't take it out. I wish there was a way to make it sugar white since I am stuck with it.

• miacometlady
    Why don't you start your own thread with photos!
  • User
    You could probably use masonry paint and a really good primer, but if you didn't like the look, there would be no going back...you would never get all the paint off. You would also be losing the resale value of it...look how many people in this post love it the way it is. As one poster suggested, you could build something over it that is removable. :)
  • PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi

Hang art over it that picks up both cool and warm tones.

SOLD!!! Original Abstract Paintings · Еще

Original Abstract Painting 48 x 48 · Еще

• Rusty Empire

I'll bring my old truck over tomorrow and take that eyesore off your hands OK.

• Rusty Empire

Oops old thread. But the offer stands.

• PRO
    Broadway Botanicals

Don't, it's lovely. Paint the wall for some color.

• miacometlady
    Old thread
  • gtcircus
    No, clean it. If you don't know how, hire a stone mason
  • Nancy in Mich

Rusty Empire, it sounds like PGLombard would negotiate with you over hers/his!

• Judy Usher
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Did you ever paint this fireplace? I have exactly the same dilemma. I am not interested in painting surrounding walls, doing this, that or t'other! My fireplace is changing colour or its gone.

в прошлом году

I know this is an old thread but for anyone still looking to paint their limestone fireplace I had the same problem. I searched everywhere and finally came across Frenchic paint I took the plunge and am thrilled with the final result. No priming, just sugar soap to clean and 2/3 coats of Frenchic paint in the lazy range, colour wedding cake which is a lovely soft white and you have a brand new fireplace

• manuelmartinez745
    в прошлом году

do not paint use a concrete stain if you must