Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Milkweed from cuttings anyone?

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I bumped off some stalks in the process of planting some A. texana and I made some root hormone dipped cuttings. Has anyone had success growing Mikweed from cuttings. Could you tell me about your experience . How did you do it, what species, what medium, in a plastic bottle, that kind of thing. ThankYou.

Here are some in the ground.

Комментарии: 17

• macranthos

One of my incarnata stems blew over. I just cut off the top (would be too much foliage) and shoved the bottom foot into a pot. Done. Roots coming out the bottom within 3 weeks. Mix was probably something like 1 part coco coir, 1 part mini perlite, half part small orchid bark, half part vermiculite and a little peat and meal. I don't remember applying rooting hormone but I would have had I thought that it mattered. Too many incarnatas anyhow.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex поблагодарил(а): macranthos
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Автор

Thanks Linda. That is what I have done . But I did use perlite causeI have it.

• docmom_gw

Those blossoms are beautiful. What a clean, bright white. Good luck with the cuttings.

Martha

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Автор

The white is very nice against that rich dark green.

• Leila Laskujarvi

I got 3 stalks from a gardener, and unfortunately they went mouldy and didn't develop any roots.

• PRO
    Parker Designs

Linda sent me seeds of A.texana last year & I have grown it from seed...I too accidentally broke a branch & it seems as easy to root from cuttings as tropical milkweed. I did the same as Linda & have had almost 100% success. Love this plant!!! Do you know what it's hardiness is? I'm wondering if I can leave it outside for the winter or if I need to bring it into my garage & protect it? I've purchased Purple, Swamp, 'Ice Ballet' & a couple of others but haven't tried to start them from cuttings yet.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I I guess that all depends where you live. t grows in 8b in its natural range of central Texas. DG has it rated for 6b. I have seen them wrong ( usually causious) about several plants. Forecasts are for a cold winter in the eastern and mid part of the country.

• terrene

Chiming in late, but I took cuttings of an Asclepias curassavica 'Silky Gold' plant this summer, with great success! Made 4 cuttings, plopped them in a glass of water, and within a few weeks, there were profuse roots coming out of the node at the bottom of the cutting. Wish I had taken a picture!

I potted them into 16 oz cups, and they are growing in the kitchen by the houseplants. I plan to overwinter these inside, and get a head start on the season next year. Our season is so short in this zone, I rarely get a mature seed pod from this species because I start my plants from seed in the Spring.

Not sure if rooting other Asclepias species in a glass of water would work. Somewhere I read this was easy with milkweeds? It sure is with the tropical.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Автор

Yes, I am getting some roots. and plants. It has been slow in the heat.

• artemis_ma

Hmm. Is it possible to transplant milkweed at this time of the year? I don't know what variety it is, but it is located growing wild in western Massachusetts. (Also willing to do cuttings if I can't get to the root systems.)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Автор

BRRRR. Its cold up there . I am in Central Texas so I will not speak for up there. When is too late before freeze up. maybe a local forum will be a good source of information. I used to go to school off of Rt 22 between Milerton and Amenia NY , YEARS AGO. It was cold on that hilltop.

• Mary Leek

I've never tried cuttings of common so decided to try this fall as I have been clipping tops of growing stalks to feed to Monarchs. With the tropical, after the little cats have eaten all the leaves and sometimes, half the stalks, I just poke the green stalks into a pot of damp potting soil and they root and grow. I am curious to try the same with the common. Don't have a clue if they will root without further assistance but will let everyone know if they do.

Mary

• Mary Leek

A quick update on the common milkweed cuttings I tried to root in damp potting mix. Not one rooted. I tried some older stalks that had been kept in water while the cats fed on the leaves and I tried a fresh stalk cutting that I used with Clonex. All withered, rotted and died. It may be me or the age of the stalks or something else but just wanted to let everyone know the outcome of my little experiment. This report is only for Asclepias syriaca aka Common Milkweed cuttings. Asclepias curassavica aka Tropical Milkweed will root this way quite easily.

I have recently taken root cuttings of Common Milkweed and planted in damp ProMix potting mix to see if I can get new plants using this method.

Of course, I will also be winter sowing additional milkweed seed this winter for spring 2016 planting.

Mary

• davidlmo

Tropical is by far the easiest to root from cuttings - whether in water or soil. A necessity where I live in Zone 5 B, but I raise them in my basement and have flowers & plants when the early Monarchs pass through. Still blooming on Nov. 1.

I have not had a lot of luck with several of the others - ~ 5 types I am unfamiliar with A. texana. My biggest problem is finding seed for Purple. I bought 2 plants and they both died.

• William Kelly
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

How's the Texas milkweed plants growing?

• klunker
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

artemis- I have transplanted many types of "prairie" plants in the fall, in my mind its the best time to transplant.

I have never tried after ground freezes, but I'll bet it would work as long as you get enough soil around the roots.

Sponsored