Houzz Logo Print
shelly_lindsell

Front Garden Planting Advice Please!

Shelly L
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I am currently designing my front drive/garden for my Victorian home. I will have a cream coloured picket fence (always wanted a white picket fence!) with gates, and gravel/pea shingle on the drive (on top of what you currently see). There are three boxes for specimen planting. Which do you prefer; three olive trees or three lollipop box shrubs?

(house pic is original - before I took out shrubs and ugly gravel!)

Sorry - don't know why this is rotated! Three places for specimen plants.

Olive Trees?

Box lollipop trees?

Комментарии: 14

• PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    Hi Shelly, I would go for lollipop box as they tend to look neater and are easy to maintain. Olive trees are great but look a bit wispy.

Karen
  • Shelly L
    Автор

Thanks Karen! I think I agree with you on that!!!!

• Jonathan
    Laurel might be worth considering too
  • gg38

Maybe small flowering trees, cheery or magnolia. Add some planters for more colour, planted with evergreens - hebes or hellebores would work well with flowering trees. Lots of the the plant works better than small numbers of lots of plants.

• PRO
    Sam Butler Garden Design

Just make sure that there is adequate drainage in the bottom of those planting pits before the trees go in. It's hard to see from the photos but it looks as if there is quite a bit of concrete and hardcore in there.

• iolosdad

photinia would be good it's ever green and and has beautiful bright red leaves in spring we have two, one huge lollipop standard and a bush at either side of the gates the variety we have flowers as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photinia

• Andrew Millar
    lollipops all the way
  • Shelly L
    Автор

Thanks everyone!!! All planted and very pleased!!

• PRO
    Sam Butler Garden Design

Looking good! You could underplant them with something now, or top dress the planting pockets with gravel to cut down on weeding and watering.

Shelly L поблагодарил(а): Sam Butler Garden Design
  • Andrew Millar
    congrats!! good choice
    Shelly L поблагодарил(а): Andrew Millar
  • headers13

Looks great.

Shelly L поблагодарил(а): headers13
  • PRO
    ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS

It looks a very good start. Now think about adding more interest to the gravel, perhaps by interspersing the 'lollipop trees' with neat but interesting shrubs. These could be scented such as Sarcoccoca (winter scent), Daphne odora (spring scent)... And adding a border in front of the house with appropriate plants. I would need to now the orientation of the garden and whether the soil is alkaline/acid/neutral and clay/loam/sand/chalk before recommending plants. If you do not need to park a vehicle in front of the house, and with the right soil and aspect you could add a rectangular herb garden.

Shelly L поблагодарил(а): ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS
  • bridgendrd
    What a lovely house. Talk about curb appeal. Trees look great!
    Shelly L поблагодарил(а): bridgendrd