Houzz Logo Print
muhammadchandler

exterior paint ideas please......

chandler moe
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

The house is only 8 years old and looks so dated to me...trying to find a nice modern color to compliment the what appears to be orange like brick has been difficult. The sides and back are the light beige color cedar plank siding

Комментарии: 41

• PRO
    Bruce Mears, Designer/Builder

May I suggest painting the shutters and front door a vivid color. Putting a standing seam metal roof of the front porch to introduce another color, texture and shadow line. Add an eyebrow roof over the garage door to break up all of the brick. Use the same standing seam metal roof on the new eyebrow over the garage doors. If you like my suggestions please follow me on houzz.com

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): Bruce Mears, Designer/Builder
  • chloebud

I agree on the shutters...too small. They should be sized so...if actually functional... they would cover your windows when closed. Your windows would look better with just the wide trim around them. The gray Judy suggested sounds nice with your roof color.

• chandler moe
    Автор

I'm very new to the site, trying to respond accordingly. To Judy yes I've considered the dark grey for the clap board however the house one door down has that color also trimmed with chocolate and the home directly next to mined is a light grey with vivid purple pink like shutters....afraid off adding to the neighborhoods drab

• chandler moe
    Автор

Also to Bruce...sounds cool however, I'm not sure exactly what it is ...

• chandler moe
    Автор

Ok...I can see the shutters are too small , when you put it that way. I guess I'm afraid of it looking empty but it actually may help lean towards the modern lines and away from the dated look

• chloebud

It won't look empty at all...the wide trim around your pretty windows will look great. That area above the garage doors does look empty. I like the sound of Bruce's "eyebrow roof."

• chandler moe
    Автор

Ok...I'll definitely take them off..:).. Thanks....still lost on paint scheme and colors..the brick is almost orange

• chandler moe
    Автор

I actually looked into the supernova before for the clapboard...but wasn't exactly in love with it. Also was thinking of a goldish similar to hidden oaks...super nova looks purple?

• chandler moe
    Автор

Also another issue the muntins are in the glass unable to get to..:(

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

What if you leave the clapboard as is, paint the trim the same as the
    clapboard, then paint the front door, the garage doors more of a
    purple/black. Do the muntins in the windows, too,

Crescent Heights Show Home · Еще

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): JudyG Designs
  • chandler moe
    Автор

I hate the clapboard color...but that idea sounds like a fresh up lift ...:)...and again the muntins can not be painted as they are etched inside the window glass

• decoenthusiaste

Sounds like paint is coming together, and without the shutters you'll see a great improvement. I'd suggest new larger, black, bronze or copper lanterns at the garage and a matching pendant lantern at the front door. I'd spend a bit of money removing the little high maintenance shaped hedges and shrubs. You need an updated landscape more than new paint, IMO.

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): decoenthusiaste
  • Melissa E

something is missing over the garage doors....could you add windows there? I would make it look less empty.. :)

• PRO
    The Color People

The problem with the house is it is devoid of traditional proportions. The brick on the right side overwhelms the garage doors and is a total blank compared to the left side. The porch posts are also way too tall. While the shutters are not exactly perfect they are not a huge problem. Even in black they add some interest to the house which would be even more plain if you removed them. The simple solution would be to repaint the siding and paint the garage doors the same color. This will create a balance which will tend to tie the house together. A warm gray with a rosy overtone would be good as it ties to the brick well. Keep the value fairly light or the white trim color will be so contrasty that it will just acerbate the problem of the house being disjointed visually

• chandler moe
    Автор

@ the color purple... Confused on what you're suggesting for the trim windows and columns. And how it would be a contrast to the rosey grey color..creating a bigger problem?.. Any example of paint and trim color?

• chandler moe
    Автор

@ howellmuse ..I dnt think so...but I do see the emptiness... I was thinking some sort of valance... Vine or greenery.. And the large dark lantern's would add some interest..

• chandler moe
    Автор

Definitely right about the landscaping..

• chandler moe
    Автор

Hey Judy..I'm looking at 2_super nova..any preference

• chandler moe
    Автор

Can someone tell me what you think of sw 6278 cloak grey...I think it close to the dark grey with rosey under tones as mentioned

• decoenthusiaste

You may want to steer the garage and house in one of these directions, which are more cottage or cape like. The garage pergola will add more interest there and might add some interest to the section between the porch and garage.

Hemingway's Cottage · Еще

Hemingway's Cottage · Еще

1950's CAPE EXPANSION · Еще

1950's CAPE EXPANSION · Еще

• chandler moe
    Автор

Wow...that would make a huge difference!... Or at least something in its place...I think I'd better make a definite decision before taking down the shutters.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Because the muntins remain white, why not do all the trim/clapboard in white and then the front door and garage doors a dark color?

No shutters :>) Because they are the wrong size, it is not adding to the charm of your home.

http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Traditional Exterior · Еще

• chandler moe
    Автор

Hey Judy....not sure how I feel about all white.. Also..looked closely at the windows. The only part that can't be painted is the actual pieces in the glass, however the putter and inner trim can. You dnt think white with the removal of shutters will appear even more dated and boring?. Love the door color and the article was very informative .

• chloebud

chandler, just curious...what's above the garage? Are there windows on the side or back? It's interesting none were put in front.

I'm thinking the wide trim around the windows should be white. I love the 'Cape Expansion' house decoenthusiaste posted. Some of those windows don't have shutters...notice their wide, white trim against what appears to be a light gray-ish siding. I like that look and am wondering about a light gray for your house...it might work with your roof, too.

• chandler moe
    Автор

Yes there are 2 windows on the side... And the house to me is light grey..lol..I'm not a fan..

• chandler moe
    Автор

That orange brick would clash horribly imo

• PRO
    JP Weber Design Consultant

pant the brick

• chandler moe
    Автор

Lol...I so want to...but was advised never to do that..

• PRO

and new sconces

• PRO

they make great stain colors People do it all the time

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): JP Weber Design Consultant
  • PRO

Willow Hill Estate · Еще

• PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC

Start with something simple first...Paint the garage doors and porch columns the same color as the siding, change your garage lights to something darker, add more colors to your landscaping.

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): CAP Construction, LLC
  • chloebud

Sorry...your siding looks more beige on my screen. Not sure but I've heard painting exterior brick can create real maintenance. Have you googled "orange brick houses"? Kind of fun to see all the examples. Also, I forgot you mentioned your neighbor's house was light gray.

• chandler moe
    Автор

Wow..staining the brick , removing the shutters and new paint colors...will definitely look like a brand new home...I see no one likes the sconces lol

• chandler moe
    Автор

It is an light beige

• PRO
    HOuseMOuse

Here goes!……………..Nothing wrong with this house…… It's quite charming.

Just add and update that look with new accessories.

Love the idea of the dark gray with this brick color. You can soften the excessive brick usage by planting creeping ficus to front center wall, which will eventually grow upwards and and break-up all that brick.

You will definitely need to loose the shutters and to update your house numbers to the brushed nickel type, which can be placed boldly on the front door or down one wall.

You can also buy some deco-style wall lamps featuring the same brushed nickel - finish with frosted glass for quite a sophisticated look. Of this type you may do 2 outside the front door walls (these in small scale) and 2 outside the outermost garage door walls (these in larger scale). In this case you could do a caged half-dome type fixture in the same finish above the other garage door to tie-it all in and a high- hat spotlight as the porch ceiling light.

The garage area needs a great big planter on the middle column with a vine or something (perhaps confederate jasmine) or sea grape or something else that will grow up and frame that garage door. You could install over-the-garage pergolas, which look amazing and then add some hardware to those painted garage doors to bring them out. Handles, strap hinges, etc. Would love to change these garage doors out to horizontal planked wood garage doors for instant appeal!

Just to name a few………………

HOuse MOuse

Miriam Mainieri

chandler moe поблагодарил(а): HOuseMOuse
  • chloebud

Sounds pretty darn nice, HOuseMOuse! I actually thought of creeping fig for the excess brick. We had it all over an ugly fence in a previous home, and it did an awesome job of covering up and filling in...quickly, too. Is it the same thing as creeping ficus?

• chandler moe
    Автор

Excellent!! I'll get right on it!!!sounds beautiful... My only concern with the dark gray is the house a couple doors down is basically the same color that I'm imaging. See pics above ..also if I go with the dark gray am I leaving trim and columns as is , white?

• krisgal94

I'd take the shutters off and replace your garage doors with something a bit fancier. You would be surprised what you can get at home depot! Something with vertical lines and maybe windows? It will liven up the garage portion of the house. Love the idea of adding a garage pergola! I'd also change out the lamps over the garage doors. They can be much larger...you have the space! Before you paint the clapboard, I'd paint the door first. That maybe all you need! A pale blue? Light green?

• chandler moe
    Автор

It was a blue I saw along time ago on cat Greenleaf's show one spring...sounds like chocolate something but could never find it.project sounds a bit more the expected but I have time...I'm going to purchase all accessories first and look into the plant's and pergola and garage door...once I have everything paint will be applied. Thank God I join this site...lovely advice from everyone... Will post pics upon completion... Thanks everyone. If any have any example of dark gray and accent for doors..please advise