Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

POLL: Lounge, living room, sitting room or front room?

Emmeline Westin
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

As people merge their kitchens with their lounges and dining spaces, will the way we refer to our living rooms change? Do you refer to this space differently depending on whether it's in the basement, as part of an extension or in the front room?

There are so many names to describe this area of the home, but which term do you use? Let us know below!

Victorian Living Room · Еще

Living room
Lounge
Sitting room
Front room
Other - share below!

Комментарии: 50

• hounoc

Drawing Room :) (or sitting room)

• PRO
    Antony Gibbon

Living Room seems more versatile..

• Rob

Only airports and hotels have lounges I have been told ;-)

• PRO
    Stella Michael

From experience it depends more what country you're from, and in the UK what class you belong to/grew up in, partly how old you are and I suspect London v other areas. In Australia we tend to have lounge rooms, here in the UK people have living rooms (or front rooms) ... makes me smile, the words say a bit about the cultures too. That's my very general observation having lived in both countries for 20+ years. I prefer a lounge room myself ... you can take the girl out of Oz but ...

• maggieandrichard
    Living room or sitting room. Lounges are only for ships or pubs.
  • anieta007

I think it depends how many rooms you have downstairs

• 163 hrd
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Oh dear, I am never saying lounge again! I always said living room when I lived in the US, but I adopted the word used by my English husband's family. Obviously they have dragged me down...

• 163 hrd

How strange I have never heard of a lounge in a pub, and goodness knows I have been in a very large number!

• PRO
    Stella Michael

Hey, what's all the disparaging about the word 'lounge', sounds a bit snobbish. I don't like the sound of 'front room' but understand that it's common here in the UK. I thought the question might elicit some open-minded and interesting responses, across cultures, not an attempt to create a hierarchy of which is 'better'.

• Sam Hill
    Front room is from Victorian 2-up 2-downs. The front room was at the front (obviously), and the kitchen (dining too) and scullery were behind. Lavatory outside.
  • Sam Hill
    Ours is the 'sitting room'. I dislike 'lounge' and 'living room', and find 'front room' strangely warming.
  • Suzanne Burnell
    Lounge is a room (where you'd have a couch instead of a sofa) and should only be used in an airport or pub. Drawing room is fine if you have more than one and is usually the smart room. Front room, again, was the term used in a small (terraced) house for visitors and the family did their everyday living in the kitchen or back room. These back rooms are now knocked through to the front room to make one big room.
  • 163 hrd

Stellahome, I think this happened because you mentioned the dreaded "class" word. I don't find anyone's remarks offensive. I find them interesting and enlightening.

• 163 hrd

Now I have to stop saying couch as well! Maybe it would be just be easier to hang a sign over our bar area saying Duty Free. LOL

• hounoc

It doesn't matter a damn what people call it. It's just a room! I was just jokingly throwing 'drawing room' into the mix because drawing room wasn't an option on the list. I think it's just fallen out of use. My parents used it and so did both sets of grandparents. They didn't have particularly grand houses but the 'drawing room' was just the 'good room' where the piano was and the kids weren't allowed to make a mess/ play. It was the room for entertaining visitors in our house and was kept tidy always. No TV in it either so in practice, we did use it for 'withdrawing to' to play the piano or sometimes to read, study or maybe play a board game or listen to music in peace. (BTW I have never heard or even read about anyone referring to a 'withdrawing-room' in practice, even in 19th century novels. They only time I've ever heard people use that phrase is when they're describing where the name 'Drawing Room' cam from originally).

In my own house, I say sitting room as we have our TV in it and we generally use it for sitting/ relaxing! :) In my parents and grandparents' houses the sitting and relaxing and tv watching was done in a different room.

I don't see what's wrong with 'lounge' but it's not commonly used here (Ireland) to my knowledge. I would just consider that a regional variation. 'Living Room' has always sounded strange to me though. I live in all of the rooms in my house. In our (at the moment, notional) new house we hope to have more of an open-plan arrangement containing kitchen/ dining and sitting/ snug area which I think we will probably refer to the 'family room'. I think that's a good name for that kind of room as it's where the family will be together most of the time.

• Emmeline Westin
    Автор

@163hrd - You're giving me ideas for another poll :)

• 163 hrd

I am intrigued!

• gravel41
    (Just going to add my little piece). We have a living room and a sitting room.
    The living room is used informally, the children play in it, the family sits around the stove in the winter in it and it is used for informal visits. The sitting room is more formal, in purpose and decor, and used for hosting larger gatherings or formal visitors. (yes, the piano is there too). It all depends on whether one is eating in the kitchen or dining room, because everything revolves around food.
  • jomoir
    I have always thought a lounge is in a hotel, then depending on the size of a house the smaller reception room would be a sitting room and the more formal would be a drawing room.
  • fincahouse
    Who cares if you call it lounge, living room, sitting room etc
    Everyone knows what you mean. Different parts of the world call it different things.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Emmeline,

Well I do definitely use the terms living room and drawing room but they are vastly different.. In a larger house a drawing room is formal. Larger estates and homes would have more rooms with specific functions.... We tend to live less formally now and so the uses of the house will have changed accordingly. A large house may have so many rooms that each one has a function and specific purpose.. In a flat or smaller house there simply isn't the luxury, with rooms having multi functions and open plan for example is very much of the time.. So too, manners and etiquette, play a large part in how we receive guests and how we refer to the rooms in our homes..

It's also to do with where and how you were educated, taught by parents and influenced by your peers, and where you grew up, social standing and all that..

Personally I would never say lounge, quite simply... it would "sound" odd.. and the same goes for couch, toilet and so forth.. In summary how you speak and sound is a direct result of outside influence, our parents first and surroundings (where you come from or spend time in formative years, second and most importantly education..

Not.. that sounding like a cockney or very well spoken, for that matter determines intelligence or lack thereof! In the end it comes down to a matter of choice how we speak and the words we use to express ourselves and what comes naturally! What is fashionable or cool within the evolution of language... ... : ))

• User

Living room all the way :)

• User

They are "parlors" in the South of the US.

• 163 hrd

I grew up in Alabama where all of my extended family refer to it as the living room. It seems to be family custom rather than regional difference.

• PRO
    Griffin Design & Build

It,s a living room, a live in room a room you live in ?

• 163 hrd

Interesting that lounge received the second highest number of votes yet the most negative comments. C' mon all you loungers and stick up for yourselves!

• PRO
    Wendy Cushing

I choose to say the Lounge, why? its for lounging in, not living in, not drawing in......simply to relax, no?

• PRO
    Starbuilders.co.uk

I have always thought a lounge is in a hotel or bar, a house the smaller room would be a sitting room and the more formal would be a drawing room. The living room is used informally, the children play in it, the family sits around watching the TV

• PRO
    MK Photography

Living room is more homely - not corporate area

• PRO
    Rose Hill Interiors

Calling it a living room, depicts an area where the family come together. Front room may not be geographically correct, and lounge sounds a little formal. Most of our clients also prefer this term.

• drpepe101
    We have a front room and a back room (which also has the kitchen & diner in it).
  • PRO
    SuzanneGoodwin

Living rooms rule

• nicolakwai
    we have front room/living room as it gets called both. We are mid build on a single storey extension and part of that will be a family room.
    My mum lives in a two up two down and they refer to the front room as the parlour (a room kept for best!)
  • PRO
    Ana Zenic Design

Living Room is best

• PRO
    Malcolm Lewis Designs

I'd call it a living room.

• lesley henderson

North east of England, working class people generally say sitting room.

Speaking of pubs, any one remember little rooms in pubs called "snugs"?

• PRO
    Annabel Smith Interiors
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I voted sitting room

• PRO
    Love Shutters UK

Lounge sounds more relaxing to me.

• PRO
    M J Painters & Decorators

Living room

• User

Living Room

• moiraford
    We call ours the "gracious lounge" as a laugh. It stuck after we noticed that all photo shoots of those z listers we don't admit to ever looking at, are done in their gracious lounges. ( which are not in any way hotel suites!!!)
  • PRO
    Ergonomic Office Solutions

Any area can be made to work for you particularly if you are working from home and need a productive space efficient area that can be created for multi function use

• PRO
    Ergonomic Office Solutions

Living room is more descriptive as it could combine a home office to suit your needs. The days of a telly with everything pointed towards it? Now people are making their spaces multi functional

More Storage, designed around you · Еще

• Hakkaa The Greedy Fox
    Fireplace room :))))
  • PRO
    Form Architecture and Planning

looks great

• PRO
    Craft and Confetti Boutique

Front room for me! we have three rooms opened into one large living space, this is great when you have a large family. I still say front room, but mainly to describe the location of say my book or glasses if I'm am asking somebody to fetch them for me. It makes for a quicker find :)

• PRO
    DMLphotography

wow

• PRO
    KLLangton Decorative Plasterwork

Lounge

• lisa77226
    I'm a Canadian living in England. It's a living room to my fellow Canadians, and a lounge if I'm talking to someone in the UK.